Security Installer Community

Very Very Useful Info

arfur mo

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.. S.T.R.

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm , Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE(Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their

tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other

that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with

ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999 immediately !! and describe the

symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

so very very useful info to have, so i hope you read this and remember it, you could even reap big financial rewards, i.e. a simple sentence could be "i give all my worldly possessions to................ (now fill in your name) :whistle:

Regards

Alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Excellent advice Alan,

found out about these checks some years ago through an unfortunate family incident, nuff said.

magpye

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Excellent advice Alan,

found out about these checks some years ago through an unfortunate family incident, nuff said.

magpye

being serous for a moment it is very useful to know, and i think simple armature guideline diagnostics like these should be taught at schools, along with sign, and diabetic attacks, the same as what to do for epileptic fits where incorrect 'helping' can be very dangerous to the victim and even the helper.

the population is getting older (unless you have savings in Northern Rock), so be a great idea to make it into a poster and pin up in the office, if it saved only one life that would be a fantastic to know you were responsible in some way.

the ruling half did her 1st aiders course a few months back, 2 days on company time now seems to be earnestly trying to get me to have a heart attack - so she can diagnose it :rolleyes:

i often say that i really worship the ground she walks on, if you were to see the price tag on her shoes - you'd be right down there with me :cry:

regs

alan

Very Very Good Alan! I've seen the effects on family and it's not nice to see someone you love 'Be of sound mind but have no control over speech'

Heart Breaking Actually

CAN WE HAVE THIS MOVED TO THE PUBLIC FORUM PLEASE MOD'S

Thank You Alarmgard :signthankspin:

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

Very Very Good Alan! I've seen the effects on family and it's not nice to see someone you love 'Be of sound mind but have no control over speech'

Heart Breaking Actually

CAN WE HAVE THIS MOVED TO THE PUBLIC FORUM PLEASE MOD'S

Thank You Alarmgard :signthankspin:

thanks Whitenoise and and all others,

can't claim the credit as was sent to me in an email. i posted iwith best intent n trade first just in case a more knowledgeable person might point out something was not quite right about the info.

My dear mum (rip) suffered a mnor stroke, fortunately did not affect her personality but did give her the shakes on the left side of her body.

just hope it might save someone else or at least reduces the effects.

regs

alan

• 3 months later...

Excellent thread.

Furthermore, the UK Stroke Association have the FAST Acronym. Their website is here

A little bit of first aid knowledge for all of us would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

i cant stress how important this info is !!!

my mum (52) suffered a serious stroke 14 months ago.

lost speech

lost power down the left side

it started out as slured speech in the morning, by tea time the damage was done.

Allan we had a situation the same at the farther in laws 60th birthday BBQ a lady had a fall.

She never really recoverd or felt well after it and eventually sadly she passed away.

I will remember the letters and the tests for future referance but at my BBQs a lot of the lads end up falling down and carnt string a sentance together ;)

Great advice.

cheers.

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

• 5 months later...
STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.. S.T.R.

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm , Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE(Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their

tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other

that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with

ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999 immediately !! and describe the

symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

so very very useful info to have, so i hope you read this and remember it, you could even reap big financial rewards, i.e. a simple sentence could be "i give all my worldly possessions to................ (now fill in your name) :whistle:

Regards

Alan

Yer, GREAT post.

Being new to this site, finding out stuff I hadn't imagined.

Incidently, have cut n pasted to put on office wall, in case staff think I'm just talking gibberish :'(

• 3 weeks later...

just to add this eye opener!

We all know that water is important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely applies to half world population.)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50%less likely to develop bladder cancer. Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

===========================================

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would YOU like a glass of water or coke

Interesting Fact: Coke outsells bottled water by 20 times in the USA

so who wants to drink WATER OR COKE? :cold2:

regs

alan

H2O the way to go for me i'm afraid. So much so i had to slow down on my water intake due to needing the loo 5 times a day on on a 750,000 Sq Ft warehouse job we were on where the site loo was the other side. You soon learned to slow down

Archived