Security Installer Community

Replace Gardtec 370 Control Panel

steadyeddie

Hi Guys, the story so far .........

A couple of years ago the alarm went off whilst we were on holiday, don't know why, anyway my daughter got her boyfriend round and he eventually ended up cutting the Red +12v wire into the RKP, been like that since.

Got round to looking at it recently, discovered that the 12v battery in the control panel had gone, all swollen and split, and also the fuse had blown.

Replaced the battery, then whilst replacing the fuse, dropped it onto the circuit board, bit of a flash, bit of smoke, looks like I have shorted the circuit board :cry: .

Any advice would be most welcome ......

1) New circuit board - probably can't get hold of them now.

2) New control panel and RKP and re-use existing wiring - but which one, go with a current Gardtec model ??.

3) Any other solutions/recommendations.

Thanks again for any advice....................

Replaced the battery, then whilst replacing the fuse, dropped it onto the circuit board, bit of a flash, bit of smoke, looks like I have shorted the circuit board :cry: .

Any advice would be most welcome ......

Step away from the box! If you were replacing a fuse with the power connected, you're a little mad.. You'll kill yourself if you carry on!

as above exercise extreme care as mains potential which can be lethal is present, better still get in a trained alarm engineer preferably on personal recommendation but always ask for a guestimate before engaging to prevent heart attacks :( .

you have found to your cost even doing a seemingly simple task yourself, will now be a lot more money and possibly present further dangers, none of us ever want anyone getting hurt (well apart from wanting to lynch me that is :ninja: ).

the 370 is (or was in your case :P ) a robust panel, and still available. to be honest given the cost and the replacement to the difference for a decent upgrade the advice is go with a later and more advanced panel.

many to choose from, the Gardtec 490x has a built in voice dialer, so can call you or your key-holders (but not the Police) if the alarm activates.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi guys, sorry about the delay, and thanks for the replies.

Old battery going to the local Waste Management centre.

Turns out that the wife's cousin, is "in the trade", so I will contact him, as suggested above.

Unless he says different, thinking about a 480, as I don't really need the advanced stuff on the 490.

Thanks again.

Archived