Security Installer Community

Galaxy 2-20 & Adsl

simonw

Technically (here goes the can of worms) you should not touch any thing beyond the front plate of the master socket coz BT get all :cry: about it (it been said before on here by others it's a criminal offene, but I've never seen proof)

So what you get out of the front of the socket is unfiltered as is the cable to you end station until it has passed through the filter - then, as you've grasped in to A,B out of PHONE to your SLAVE SOCKETS - easy eh! ;)

I wasn't planning to touch anything on BT's side of the master socket - the front plate with the built-in filter and connections just plugs in to the standard BT phone socket behind the existing faceplate, once it is removed. Is this kind of faceplate splitter a bad idea then? I was just thinking that it might at least allow me to use the master socket for phone and modem connections.....or shouldn't I use the master socket for anything except a connection to the alarm filter & panel?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest anguscanplay
I wasn't planning to touch anything on BT's side of the master socket - the front plate with the built-in filter and connections just plugs in to the standard BT phone socket behind the existing faceplate, once it is removed. Is this kind of faceplate splitter a bad idea then? I was just thinking that it might at least allow me to use the master socket for phone and modem connections.....or shouldn't I use the master socket for anything except a connection to the alarm filter & panel?

ah I see , thats fine for what you want to plug INTO the master bt socket NT5E ? but youll be wiring from behind the removable facia ( either BT`s or your own ) so any other connections will still need filtering - just make sure your alarm isnt an extension of an extension

ah I see , thats fine for what you want to plug INTO the master bt socket NT5E ? but youll be wiring from behind the removable facia ( either BT`s or your own ) so any other connections will still need filtering - just make sure your alarm isnt an extension of an extension

Ok, thanks. The rear of the facia provides connections for both filtered (phone) and unfiltered (modem) output, so presumably I would want to wire the alarm filter and panel into the unfiltered output then (although I don't suppose it would matter if the signal were to be filtered twice anyway!) I hope this wouldn't make the alarm into an extension of an extension.

Ok, thanks. The rear of the facia provides connections for both filtered (phone) and unfiltered (modem) output, so presumably I would want to wire the alarm filter and panel into the unfiltered output then (although I don't suppose it would matter if the signal were to be filtered twice anyway!) I hope this wouldn't make the alarm into an extension of an extension.

BINGO :P

Don't know about the whole filtered twice bit though... but dont worry about that.

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

Guest anguscanplay
BINGO :P

Don't know about the whole filtered twice bit though... but dont worry about that.

NOOOOOOOOO

causes big trouble if its filtered twice - its the most comman reason for BB not working when its self install, sky boxes are the usual thing to be double filtered - its great fun trying to trace the extensions plugged into extentions somedays

Angus

NOOOOOOOOO

causes big trouble if its filtered twice - its the most comman reason for BB not working when its self install, sky boxes are the usual thing to be double filtered - its great fun trying to trace the extensions plugged into extentions somedays

Angus

Correct, had to sort loads of those out recently.

Keep it simple always works.

The only thing that isn't clear - maybe a diagram would help - is whether you want to or MUST have all the phones "beyond" the alarm (which maybe has some line-seize functionality?) or you're happy to have them plugged in "alongside" the alarm which could stop it calling out.....

Basically any phone device (including the alarm, faxes and conventional modems) should be behind one filter (and only one) and for the broadband to work well the length of unfiltered cable after the master socket should be minimal; ideally one single short cable or none at all (filtered faceplate). A rats nest of extension cables with filters at the ends is a recipe for problems. :(

Guest anguscanplay
The only thing that isn't clear - maybe a diagram would help - is whether you want to or MUST have all the phones "beyond" the alarm (which maybe has some line-seize functionality?) or you're happy to have them plugged in "alongside" the alarm which could stop it calling out.....

Me ? - best is to wire into the main BT faceplate and star out to your extensions - really its never good to plug in an extension

Archived