Security Installer Community

Galaxy 2-20 & Adsl

simonw

I have installed a Galaxy 2-20 panel which is connected to a phone line but now I want to share the line with a telephone and an ADSL modem.

The Galaxy installation manual describes how to incorporate secondary devices (e.g. incoming PSTN -> master socket-> galaxy AB, galaxy PHONE -> second master socket-> telephone & modem) but unfortunately it stops short of giving information on where to put the ADSL broadband filter(s). I want to install a master socket faceplate which incorporates a single internal ADSL filter rather than mucking about with filters here, there and everywhere, but should this be installed on the first or second master socket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have installed a Galaxy 2-20 panel which is connected to a phone line but now I want to share the line with a telephone and an ADSL modem.

The Galaxy installation manual describes how to incorporate secondary devices (e.g. incoming PSTN -> master socket-> galaxy AB, galaxy PHONE -> second master socket-> telephone & modem) but unfortunately it stops short of giving information on where to put the ADSL broadband filter(s). I want to install a master socket faceplate which incorporates a single internal ADSL filter rather than mucking about with filters here, there and everywhere, but should this be installed on the first or second master socket?

Almost certainly the first one. You'll then need to figure out the best way to get the ADSL signal to the modem/router and on to the PC; wireless (802.11) may help here.

Assuming your Galaxy is using normal phone signals (not Redcare or the like) it needs to be on a "filtered" phone socket with no ADSL signal present.

Presumably you have some sort of line seize unit to enable the Galaxy to communicate at all times, hence the second phone socket.

Technically only one phone socket (the first) will be a true "Master" with the additional BT components. :ninja:

2 options come from a plug in spliter from your master filter unit down side easy to unplug digi phone line OR preferable way would be to come out the back of your master un filterd and fit a filter in the panel normal adsl dose the job with the help of a connector strip or you can get inline filters withn connections on them from ACT www.actmeters.com

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

If you want to be really posh abide by all regs and also not upset BT, then take your line from the back of the front plate (CRONE'S) of the master socket 2&5 to your end station then in to one of these out of this to the A & B back out of PHONE to the rest of the extensions round the house.

If you need to use your master socket then put in a filter but the rest of the house will now be filterd but remember you will have to come off your master with a filter for your Router/Modem

This way you protect the line from easy disconection... well untill that pesky carpet fitter comes :rolleyes:

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

If you want to be really posh abide by all regs and also not upset BT, then take your line from the back of the front plate (CRONE'S) of the master socket 2&5 to your end station then in to one of these out of this to the A & B back out of PHONE to the rest of the extensions round the house.

If you need to use your master socket then put in a filter but the rest of the house will now be filterd but remember you will have to come off your master with a filter for your Router/Modem

This way you protect the line from easy disconection... well untill that pesky carpet fitter comes :rolleyes:

this is what we fit

p.s. whitenoise sorry bout the pm's, got you mixed up with someone else.

this is what we fit

p.s. whitenoise sorry bout the pm's, got you mixed up with someone else.

:) thanks for the great response everyone - it sounds like you are all more or less in agreement on the way to go, so it looks like I will need to invest in a 431 DSL filter from somewhere like actmeters.com.

I already have a faceplate splitter (faceplate_splitter.JPG attached) which I was led to believe would filter the entire system at source (master socket) but it sounds like it will be needed only to filter the outlets of master socket because the 431 DSL filter inside the control panel will filter everything else anyway - is that correct or am I overdoing it?

Something like:

Incoming line -> Master Socket 2&5 (with filter faceplate) -> 431 DSL Filter -> Panel A&B -> Panel PHONE -> rest of phone sockets.

So:

Is it ok for me to plug a phone and/or modem into the master socket (with the filter faceplate) - or does the alarm panel have to be the first thing on the line?

Does the first phone socket that is attached to the PHONE connection of the Galaxy need to be a master (as per the installation manual) or will a slave socket do?

post-11400-1190067087_thumb.jpg

Technically (here goes the can of worms) you should not touch any thing beyond the front plate of the master socket coz BT get all :cry: about it (it been said before on here by others it's a criminal offene, but I've never seen proof)

So what you get out of the front of the socket is unfiltered as is the cable to you end station until it has passed through the filter - then, as you've grasped in to A,B out of PHONE to your SLAVE SOCKETS - easy eh! ;)

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

Archived