Security Installer Community

Whats The Daftest/funniest Thing Your Apprentice Has Done

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same Trainee different job: Fitting security system in big country house, had to run cables through nice well lit attic. Boarded walkway all the way through so pretty easy job, until he decides it's quicker to walk on the beams than go round the walkway. Only problem was he stepped on the ceiling & went straight through ended up straddled across a beam legs dangling in mid air & the old woman in the toilet below screaming her head off, cost the insurers a packet. Poor bugger could hardly walk for a couple of days, then got the sack for being a liability. He left the trade after that & went to work as a Milkman, reckons installing security systems is just too dangerous.

Customers Love us, Intruders Hate us.

We've had 2 this year from our apprentice, he drilled through the mains cable for a light switch taking out all the lights in a shop with no windows lol, wasn't his fault really as the cable went diagonally up the wall, fortunately the sparky we had with us managed to repair it. Next thing he did was he managed to lock the keys in the back of the van, unfortunately I only noticed they were missing when we came to pack up at 4:30pm, took till 6pm for someone to arrive with the spare key. He's a good lad though, needs to spend more time working and less time pissing about on his phone though lol

Hey Ho, Lets Go

once saw a lass in her 20's & her bloke, moving tables old out of a bar conversion, just inside the entrance parts of the floor where up, they moved a number of these table together outside on the pavement to give away / skip 'em.

Anyway she stumbled in the hole & fell legs either side of the joist taking full impact with the olde beef curtains, her freinds helped her up & took her upstairstairs with hre mascara running wilst walking like john wawne....

Mr? Veritas God

once saw a lass in her 20's & her bloke, moving tables old out of a bar conversion, just inside the entrance parts of the floor where up, they moved a number of these table together outside on the pavement to give away / skip 'em.

Anyway she stumbled in the hole & fell legs either side of the joist taking full impact with the olde beef curtains, her freinds helped her up & took her upstairstairs with hre mascara running wilst walking like john wawne....

Did'nt you offer to inspect the damage? :whistle:

Fitting an Alarm in a house, took my mates boy with me for some work experience. Woman (Bruiser) in the house took a fancy to his long hair & kept following him around, anyway woman disapeared for a while & we carried on with the install. About 10 minutes later he goes up stairs to pull some cable in, next I hear is him legging it down the stairs. He walked into the bedroom to get to the airing cupboard & finds her starkers on the bed playing with her toy, bugger would'nt come back into the house & won't work with me again. Strange boy :rolleyes:

lad drilled with metre bit from garage to understairs. drill bit went through gas meter..

Bit of an Explosive situation :whistle:

lad drilled with metre bit from garage to understairs. drill bit went through gas meter..

Ive noticed a few that once the drill bit clears they just keep going. a few weeks ago one

came through ceiling and kept going into a wasp nest (i cleared the space in one movement) Another drilled ceiling, void then tiles on roof. Some just dont have the feel for the job.

Customers!

just think have exagerated idea of length....

till they get a girlfriend.

(why the metre bit? just bog std cavity wall.. huh?)

We carry 8mm @ 600mm and 10mm @ 1000mm Anything else is a special LOL

Customers!

yeah, bo//ocks came to mind when i read it aswell.....................although nothing to do with the fall.

You've never seen an accident out on site then?

no never.

except this one time when my apprentice slipped in a loft, did two back flips and fell down the chimney.

Hope you filled out the accident report properly?

Did'nt you offer to inspect the damage? :whistle:

or kiss it better?

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

this one was down to me,

my early days as a newly qualified engineer told my 'mate' to run this cable -:

he drilled through what we new was a wall with large cavity, he go's other side no sign of it. so i tell him to push a bit of 1/2 galve through. has another look no sign puzzled??? so i feed in some 6 core, and still no sign of it.

finally, manager comes to me saying "why are you putting that bit of tube with a wire hanging out the end over the main road?"

very old buildings meant i/we had to traverse several rooms and got confused with directions :rolleyes:.

in the days of mainly contacts on internal doors, i've forgotten the amount of times the trainee has drilled the wrong side of the door stop, end up with 1" hole saw cutting plug from any spare timber to hand, to filll the hole lol!

house in Southgate, North London.

installation dept had fecked up on 2 brand new doors when fitting the Chubb 311G Lock, on these locks the keep recess is central but the lock tongue is off centre. it is the easiest mistake to make in the world to line up on the plates not the holes with the tongue (keep it clean lads).

so now i get sent in to fit the third chubb lock (just to say Chubb Alram Trained and have fitted countless amounts of them), but client has now called in a local locksmith to do the job, giving me and via me my colleagues a load of verbal. now i can understand his angst so i have to be diplomatic and be quiet, take the flack while actually the problems is nothing to do with me personally.

while i'm very good at PR, getting the client back on board was obviously a lost cause, so now i want out asap.so decide to check with the locky having a quiet word to be sure he knew about the offset. but i get roundly and loudly rebuked with some serious attitude for 'talking to a professional locksmith in such a way'????, ffsks so instead or removing his head as i would normally do, ok, he is after extra work and putting in a high bill which my emploer wil be paying so i decide to bite my tongue and step away for the sakes of gaining a quick exit.

talk about a 'manor from heaven' as i watch he also fooks it up, i know he has but stay quiet as he even cuts in and fits the key escutcheon plates only to find the lock won't throw - just as the previous 2 alarm engineers had lol!

you can just bet hw i enjoyed rubbing his and the clients nose's in it, the relish of informing the client my time was now chargeable as we had offered to do the work but i was prevented, and now the locksmith looked really sheepish.

so now i added to his pain by advising the 'cure' for this very common mistake by armatures is very simple, move the lock to the correct position, fill the pocket and fit finger plates to cover the holes made in the wrong place for the keys, the plates actually enhanced the doors appearance.

given thre grief i had to absorb i insisted the locky stayed and watched, making no light matter watching a true expert at work ;).

i don't know if he ever got paid - i do know my firm did not pay his bill and got paid my time, i also know i got a £20 tip sweet! ;)

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

deposit for a house in them days ?

bloody near true, i think the client thought i was not going to fill in a charge form lol!

one of the more common and funnier mishaps, Rely-aBell in common with many other companies systems had 'end of line' batteries, they would always be in the male toilet and in a wooden box up high. these were 3 x 1.5 'O' Cells i.e big heavy bugger's, they had a + brass nut and a - fly lead so were tied to each other to make the 4.5 volts

placing the old batts on top of the system as you swapped over the new ones, but if you forgot to bring them down with you, all i can say is the next person pulling the chain often did it for you - the 'hammer' would knock them of the casing resulting in one hell of a splash in the pan - and some severely wet/shocked chain puller lol!

its not all about fixing systems or being careful, PR is often needed so being a bit 'fly' also helps a service engineer on occasions -:

working on service i had to go to a jewellers shop on a Saturday morning, a stack of old and well rotten QS lead acid panel batteries had fallen through the tiled ceiling, crashing through the display counter and smashing the class. over the years they had simply been left up there by lazy numbnuts engineers on maintenance visits.

so i'm asked by the understandably angry owner why they were not removed? well number one rule is cover the company, number two rule is cover your colleges, so thinking fast the best i could come up with using my best a straight face i reply 'they are actually considered the clients property, it could be classed as a theft if the engineer/s disposed of them, similar to when cutting you neighbours bushes which overhang your garden, and not offering the cuttings back to them' and to my amazement he took it and thanked me for being so 'informed' :rolleyes:.

i offered to remove the rest of them (i counted 68 batts all told) and to place a notice on the control panel which he 'had' to sign telling future engineers he has given his permission to dispose of them :whistle:.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived