Security Installer Community

Help Required With Tamper Alarm On Paragon Plus

BarneyCG

This is my first post so I hope I've got this in the right place.

There is a Paragon Plus installed in our house and for the last 2 days the tamper alarm has been randomly going off in day mode.

First the outside siren goes of for a couple of seconds and then stops, then the internal sounder in the control panel by the door gives off the high pitched tone as if the alarm had just been set. Both the alarm and Tamper lights are lit and the log shows a "t" as the last event. Entering the master/limited user code resets the alarm to day mode. Following the trouble shooting section in the user manual I then immediately set the alarm which works fine, though the manual says that if an alarm condition occurs immediately then call installer - this doesn't happen.

The battery in the master control was replaced 3 or 4 years ago so that could be the issue but the alarm isn't yet going off when the power to it gets cut like it did when I replace the battery last time.

How can I can find out which device is triggering the tamper alarm and what can I do about it? (I'm fairly handy with a multimeter and a soldering iron)

Many Thanks

Barney

Hi ,

You have 2 tamper circuits (and a lid tamper) , global tamper and bellbox tamper.

One of them has an intermittant fault.you can either check out each circuit , or link out in turn to highlight the culprit.

I would suspect the bellbox microswitch , as these go hi-res over time.

If you doubt your ability , get a pro out .

Beware hazardous voltages.

picture of grotty microswitch...

post-76-1186661802_thumb.jpg

Hi ,

You have 2 tamper circuits (and a lid tamper) , global tamper and bellbox tamper.

One of them has an intermittant fault.you can either check out each circuit , or link out in turn to highlight the culprit.

I would suspect the bellbox microswitch , as these go hi-res over time.

If you doubt your ability , get a pro out .

Beware hazardous voltages.

So the lid tampers will be on the casings to the 2 control panels, the bellbox tamper is obvious ... where is the global tamper ?

Also what do you mean by "link out in turn" ?

Thanks for the warning about hazardous voltages ... obviously cutting the mains power would help but would the battery be able to provide enough current to be harmful.

Can the switch be cleaned or is a replacement necessary ?

Sorry for lots of questions but while I don't doubt my abilities with electrics I do like to know as much as is possible before starting.

Barney

Hi ,

The global tamper usually is connected to the detector lids in a series loop.

If you link out the global tamper and the fault clears, then that is most probably where the fault lies.

If it doesnt , then link out the bell tamper.

It may simply be a tamper switch or a detector cover , or even damaged cable.

If it is the bellbox and it looks old , then I would replace it with a new one.

Regards.

Hi ,

The global tamper usually is connected to the detector lids in a series loop.

If you link out the global tamper and the fault clears, then that is most probably where the fault lies.

If it doesnt , then link out the bell tamper.

It may simply be a tamper switch or a detector cover , or even damaged cable.

If it is the bellbox and it looks old , then I would replace it with a new one.

Regards.

By link out do you mean short the terminals for that tamper circuit ? And I take it this is done in the master control box in my loft ?

Barney

Thanks.

just before you clamber up your mates old rickety ladder risking life and limb to check you siren tamper, i'd suggest have a look at your pir detectors to see if all the lids are on properly and firmly held :)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay

hmm alarm and tamper lights come on ?

4 years can be a good run for some of the cheap batteries - test it under load conditions first

Angus

Archived