Security Installer Community

12 Camera Cctv Install Discussion

kai

I'm planning on doing an install that will involve 11 CCTV cameras with one external camera. (12 cameras in total).

There are a few things that are absolutely neccessary:

- The system must be remotely viewable

- I would prefer that no specific client software is needed. The best solution would be just being able to access Internet Explorer from the client and that would be it. (I don't even like activeX, but it may be a neccessary evil).

I am undecided whether to go with a dedicated DVR with analogue cameras or to implement it as a PC system with IP cameras.

The main thing is that cameras require power and dealing with that just seems so troublesome. Therefore I am considering going the power over ethernet (POE) route. I think that I can just about be bothered to get one cable acress to the camera :P Going this way I think that I am limited to IP cameras only and then it would make sense to use a PC as the DVR.

The other thing weighing on my mind is that analogue cameras are cheaper and a dedicated DVR is more simple to deal with. It's just the power cables to deal with.

The system is just at the planning stage - however, there will definetely be a PC at the site (with LAN) no matter the CCTV system I decide, which makes me consider the first option.

I am fairly new to the CCTV game, so I would appreciate any opinions. Also, especially with dedicated DVRs, any recommendations as to which models would suit my needs would be greatly appreciated.

My budget must absolutely not exceed

Guest Dave the alarm man
especially with dedicated DVRs, any recommendations as to which models would suit my needs would be greatly appreciated.

DM

Guest anguscanplay

dm - if you can be bothered ( what a strange thing to say in a post ) - do it right or let someone else

Angus

Thank you so far for the replies. Unfortunately, I'm not in the 'trade' so to speak so I'm having a lot of difficulties locating DVR's (well, at least 'good' ones that everyone on here recommends). If anyone can get me in touch with someone who wants to purchase a single DVR unit, it would be great.

do they do solar powered then as well :hmm:

:P

Have you looked at the jpeg2000 dvr's?

I can't really seem to find much about them. Do you have a direct link to any spcific models, etc.? Are made by Silverline? I did find a data sheet for model DVR916 (if that rings a bell) - but it really was very sparse and tellss me nothing about it thats very useful.

I'm planning on doing an install that will involve 11 CCTV cameras with one external camera. (12 cameras in total).

There are a few things that are absolutely neccessary:

- The system must be remotely viewable

- I would prefer that no specific client software is needed. The best solution would be just being able to access Internet Explorer from the client and that would be it. (I don't even like activeX, but it may be a neccessary evil).

I am undecided whether to go with a dedicated DVR with analogue cameras or to implement it as a PC system with IP cameras.

The main thing is that cameras require power and dealing with that just seems so troublesome. Therefore I am considering going the power over ethernet (POE) route. I think that I can just about be bothered to get one cable acress to the camera :P Going this way I think that I am limited to IP cameras only and then it would make sense to use a PC as the DVR.

The other thing weighing on my mind is that analogue cameras are cheaper and a dedicated DVR is more simple to deal with. It's just the power cables to deal with.

The system is just at the planning stage - however, there will definetely be a PC at the site (with LAN) no matter the CCTV system I decide, which makes me consider the first option.

I am fairly new to the CCTV game, so I would appreciate any opinions. Also, especially with dedicated DVRs, any recommendations as to which models would suit my needs would be greatly appreciated.

My budget must absolutely not exceed

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Guest anguscanplay
Unfortunately, I'm not in the 'trade' so to speak ............

in that case you aint going to end up with anything worth fitting. As Ics says get a proffesional in to do the job ( fingers crossed your not fitting this for a third party , are you ? )

Hey there

Im very new to this as well and i did my first install only recently and it worked out great. I had 10 cams, 2 outside 8 internal and a dvr. From my limited experience i would say unless your comfortable with PC's and PC based systems and also if your good at computer networking Id avoid IP. Running data over Cat6 or whatever you choose isnt as simple as throwing a few cables in. Cat 5 and cat 6 are a picky bunch, you can not stress the cable, you can not lay it on floating ceilings, you can not pull it like regular cable, this is all IF you do it right!!!

I did that system all analogue cams, 16ch 500gb dvr all xvision and it came in at 3500 euro including monitor, now i dont know what sterling conversion is but i guess thats about 2500 sterling which gives you plenty of scope.

On the cable side of things if you wanna be lazy get the caox and power in one cable, xvision do it so im sure loads of others do too. I rather pulling two and using a central power distribution unit.

On a few final points. Using active x on IE7 can be a bit of a pain but you needit as most systems allow you the installer configure the system remotely. I can help you with this if you like. And one the guys is right, this sounds like a nice job, you really should be bothered, its important to put your heart into an istall as you'd expect the same if a sparky,plumber or whatever came to your house, if he couldnt be bothered running two cables and you ended up with an oveload you'd be pretty //.B.W.F.//.

Anyways thats my 2 caents worth, but as i say im only a newbie to this game so...!!! isnt that right Angus another bloody IT blowin :)

Fla

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Guest anguscanplay
isnt that right Angus another bloody IT blowin :)

Fla

lol - your cool, this guy, i think, owns a corner shop and wants to do it on the cheap :no: always false economy imo

i hope that

Archived