Security Installer Community

Bell Boxes Fitted With Ladders

mark auto

don't know arms through the rungs? and i'm saying nothing other than you should not try this at home - but i have been called a 'clever dick' on occasions :whistle:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
don't know arms through the rungs? and i'm saying nothing other than you should not try this at home - but i have been called a 'clever dick' on occasions :whistle:

regs

alan

was that before my time then ?

as we are into H&S in this thread,

while working as a subby last week (while this site was down), i was told at the site induction i was allowed to use those small hop-up decorators type platform's, about 20" high with the legs that fold away under, but not my industrial strength very sturdy little giant steps.

my crib with any platform is the false sense of security they often offer and so a lower regard for hazard, i know of several people who stepped back to look at something and have gone straight of the edge under the hand rails. so i contend when on steps you take far more care how they are positioned (well i darn well do).

having no option with this platform other than placing it across a closed front door to a flat, due to the space they take and obstructions, all in order to reach properly and fit a speaker. suddenly some ignorant clot (sorry for that deliberate mis-spell) ignoring my bright yellow 1 mtr high plastic warning sign, came crashing through the door at full tilt knocking me flying from the platform, this was just one hour after the site induction.

had i been using my preferred 'little giant' steps as i had asked nothing would have happened to me, apart from an exchange of a few choice 'views' perhaps, due to their weight and the splayed legs. they would have stopped the well door before it hit me and i would also have had something to grab onto if i was slightly unbalanced. instead i got bowled off at an awkward angle collecting a twisted ankle, twisted knee and badly bruised arm and grazing to contend with in a 12 floor building with no lift for the next 3 days.

i did not get to sort out the stupid Berk, he disappeared before i could collect myself, get up and kick his teeth in with my one remaining good leg :ranting:

like many, my son included i'm at the point of refusing to work on building sites anymore, 'site inductions' the hassle of the dafter elements of so called H&S, usually enforced often by a seemingly numb nuts power drunk jobs worth who appear hell bent on harassment at every turn, rather than overseeing true safety and common sense is in place, imo it has just made building sites far too damn dangerous to work in, i'd feel safer working in a Chinese coal mine lokking after myself than an over zealous PPoE site.

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay

went to service the explosives store at the quarry last wednesday, usual visi -vest and boots though the H&S guy said I needed an orange one ( slipped it on on top of my yellow one ) then they said I needed a silver " visitors " vest ( just put it on top of the rest ) upto the actual mag store and the foreman hands me a yellow vest with " access permitted" across the back

looked like a ffng liquorice allsort

went to service the explosives store at the quarry last wednesday, usual visi -vest and boots though the H&S guy said I needed an orange one ( slipped it on on top of my yellow one ) then they said I needed a silver " visitors " vest ( just put it on top of the rest ) upto the actual mag store and the foreman hands me a yellow vest with " access permitted" across the back

looked like a ffng liquorice allsort

hehehehe ive got some experience as h+s rep and do you know what guys i gave it up because of all of th B.S. that goes with it. a lot of it has got to do with people claiming money for injuries , if ypouve had the training and do the job the wrong way and injure yourself you will find your compensation is reduced or non existant.so be careful taking short cuts because if you fall and break your back doing it you might get no money for it. but as another poster has said these are also there to protect you from injury , i know everyone has got their work to do but you cant do it from a wheel;chair or coffin

Trade Member

hehehehe ive got some experience as h+s rep and do you know what guys i gave it up because of all of th B.S. that goes with it. a lot of it has got to do with people claiming money for injuries , if ypouve had the training and do the job the wrong way and injure yourself you will find your compensation is reduced or non existant.so be careful taking short cuts because if you fall and break your back doing it you might get no money for it. but as another poster has said these are also there to protect you from injury , i know everyone has got their work to do but you cant do it from a wheel;chair or coffin

the daft thing is the platform height meant i had to stoop due to no adjustment meaning poor balance, where as if i had used my steps i would have my back in a far better straight position and be able to work '3 points on the ladder' and which would have prevented the fall.

appreciated it's a 'no win' situation for the site owners, caused by ambulance chasing lawyers and manny greedy 'victims' winning with duff judges awarding crazy amounts. the answer must be a scheme where a 'certificate of competence' with ladders and steps (like as with minor electrics) surely, then if you fall off unless/ assisted/ by another's stupidity the risk to use them just like crossing the road is yours to take or not?

the cost this all must add to a building has got to be horrendous and i'm not advocating profit before safety, just life involves certain levels risks

regs

alan

HOW MANY ENGINEERS HAVE TAKEN THE TEST

Your simple answers

Electrotechnical Certification - Answers

very odd they mention rcd when sites will not allow 240 volt operation even for a hoover to clean up with.

i might be wrong but i thought the Eu made it 'legal' about 2 - 3 years ago to allow the use of 240 v powered equipment on building sites, as long as it was via an RCD protected outlet.

not that i need to use them often, generally only come out when using clients vacuum if mine is duff or for battery chargers, so being safety concious i have extension leads which have an RCD breakers incorporated in the feed plug (not at the reel) but i'm still refused permission to use kit connected via it :wacko: .

regs

alan

the daft thing is the platform height meant i had to stoop due to no adjustment meaning poor balance, where as if i had used my steps i would have my back in a far better straight position and be able to work '3 points on the ladder' and which would have prevented the fall.

appreciated it's a 'no win' situation for the site owners, caused by ambulance chasing lawyers and manny greedy 'victims' winning with duff judges awarding crazy amounts. the answer must be a scheme where a 'certificate of competence' with ladders and steps (like as with minor electrics) surely, then if you fall off unless/ assisted/ by another's stupidity the risk to use them just like crossing the road is yours to take or not?

the cost this all must add to a building has got to be horrendous and i'm not advocating profit before safety, just life involves certain levels risks

regs

alan

its all based on risk (hence risk assesment). if you slip on a ladder chances are you`ll fall to the ground , on a platform if you slip chances are you`ll land on the platform. i think that the person undertaking the work should be able to assess the risk themselves , if as you say using steps would have reduced the risk i would have thought that the sensible working method would have been to use steps. some h+s managers are daft , ive worked with a few believe me. remeber the phrase "so far as is reasonably practible"-this applies to all aspects of health and safety.ie. if its not practical to do what would be considered a safe way of working other methods can be used as long as the risk is assessed and measures are used to reduce any risks

Trade Member

its all based on risk (hence risk assesment). if you slip on a ladder chances are you`ll fall to the ground , on a platform if you slip chances are you`ll land on the platform. i think that the person undertaking the work should be able to assess the risk themselves , if as you say using steps would have reduced the risk i would have thought that the sensible working method would have been to use steps. some h+s managers are daft , ive worked with a few believe me. remeber the phrase "so far as is reasonably practible"-this applies to all aspects of health and safety.ie. if its not practical to do what would be considered a safe way of working other methods can be used as long as the risk is assessed and measures are used to reduce any risks

trouble is sites just blanket ban any steps, and i proved the exception about platforms as i landed on the deck flat on my back having twisted the ankle and knee in the 'step' ends ang graised my leg on the platform corner.

like i say site work is being rushed to the bottom of my favorite work type list.

regs

alan

Archived