Security Installer Community

Wirefree Cctv

The biggest problem with any wireless system is security. The signal from the cheaper ones can be picked up on the cheap wireless signal sets you can by for TV's so you can watch your SKY TV upstairs as well. I got one of these from Argos and found it was recieving CCTV footage on one of its wireless channels. What you want is something that will encrypt and decrypt the signal at both end so it appears as scrambled to any passing observer. This does not have to be an integrated part of your CCTV set up as such but just make sure the signal is encrypted. This will not stop environmental factors or people blocking out / jamming the signal though.

All true, but i suspect this is/would not be an issue to the customer. Getting the record seems more relevant.

Also, i doubt 'cheap' is not going to be used here.

I'm about to install a JPEG2000 16channel system for a "wheeler dealer" chappy...fairly straight forward except that

he has requested one of the channels be rigged upto a wirefree cam as he does large cash deals and wants a portable eye .Audio would be advantageous...Need 100mtre range and this needs to be properly 100mtr not like the trah on ebay....

Iam on a budget but quality will sell....It would also be used for "foaling" as he deals in racehorses...

Any recommendations??

I normally use RDT for wireless cctv, fitted it on a number of sites for video & telemetry well in excess of 100m, & yet to have a problem.

Thx Guys,,,,,,,for this application, security is not a problem as the request is purely to record cash deals aroung a very large property........Nearest house is at least 500m away.......

Will check out the RDT and radcom products....

cheers

Max

I've used both and found Radcom every bit as good as RDT but for a fraction of the price.

Norbain had the best prices ;)

I'd also use the best antenna on the receiver for that distance.

HTH

hi all,

their are portable recorders available as used by the Police, some record to SD cards. very reliable technology discrete and small in use and far more sure of recording the situation than most budget radio kits, which is prone to drop outs and 'dark' area's.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

How about using IP Cameras for the wireless side

a site i know of uses just ip cameras both wireless and wired for their cctv and they brilliant (and its a school)

in the comms room just use dedicated switches and a dedicated colour cable (was purple) unique to just cctv system and away u go

get a power over ethernet jobby and u dont even have to run power as well as data

• 4 years later...

I agree with other postings that a portable dvr is the answer..try http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/Lawmate-pv500-evo-with-hd-button-camera-kit.html

There is a video on there to show the unit working.

With this type of unit you are not just relying on a wireless link,this unit is HD but they do a standard non HD unit at a lower cost.

If you go for the standard non HD unit you could a small battery video splitter such as the CCT216 from SystemQ.com,I have used these units where a budget DVR has no video loop through with no issues,12 vdc and 100ma consumption,also very compact.

They also do a fairly new 2.4ghz digital video link with various antenna (the word DIGITAL) is critical as they 'bind' TX and RX together,they are small and light,again 12VDC and 200ma consumption.

I tested in a 'walkabout' situation,using the standard supplied antennas to in excess of 50m with no real loss of image,with one of the larger 'patch' type antennas on the RX and the standard 'whip' type on the TX,these could be your answer.

You must be aware of the vertical and horizontal receive pattern/angles of the patch type antennas as they are not omni-directional,so you will not be able to walk around the receiver in a circle at any range...at close ranges,you may still get a signal.

It probably be wrong to post unit costs on here as SystemQ are a trade supplier and Dogcam sport are a retail supplier,Dogcam do some Analogue wireless video links,I have some of them but do not expect them to work as well as the SystemQ digital links..especially on a 'mobile' situation.They also have some small 2.5mm connections and they are weak and would involve making up some bespoke leads and protecting them.

The SystemQ ones at least have RCA phono ones for video and audio...I would prefer BNC for video for sure,but a small price to pay for a unit that works.

The audio link could prove useful as a body worn mike could be used and recorded on the mobile DVR and via the wireless link,on the main DVR so a record of these 'financial transactions' could be preserved

The body worn DVR combined with the above could be your 'belt and braces' solution.

Just be aware on limitations on using more than one of the SystemQ links in close proximity as this limitation is

not currently within any website,sales literature,flyers etc.

Paul (MD) of System Q has contacted me directly and assures me that a guide is to be published to assist with the use of their wireless TX/RX units and to be fair,this is a very recent product and he has been working on this guide.Producing a guide on this subject is not a 'black and white' document and not an overnight task,RF is a strange animal and can be affected by so many things,not least of which is by themselves ! ! Nothing beats a site test under anticipated conditions and not just for a few minutes...so remember,it can only be a guide and not the 'RF bible' Paul has been an installer and experienced in electronics and as such has expressed some empathy with my experiences..........search on here for 'videomitter' and read my postings.They are not a criticism of the product,they do work and are reasonably priced,especially for a 'bindable' digital link but I am hugely critical of particular directors response and attitude to my findings.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that if two links do interfere with each other...the last image received will be presented to the DVR/Monitor will that frozen image.This can be confusing if looking at an area with no movement as all will look ok...if there is movement of any kind,that will be frozen,removing power from the RX momentarily resets the RX.

I have had a single link in operation now for around two weeks and it is working well,the two links in close proximity have been separated as much as physical limits within the area will allow and have held up for three days now without 'freezing'

If your budget for a wireless link extends to over £3000-00 your answer is COFDM equipment,one of those beasts with basic antennas,placed in the centre of a large supermarket will get you good images anywhere in the store or in the average large supermarket car park...no problem.

I have been sat over 500 metres away in a Macdonalds car park having a coffee and watching/recording live images and zero dropout for hours on end.

Horses for courses though,budget restraints,unit/standard antenna location and spacing,the videomitters do the job but do test any wireless units prior to committing to an installation and costing,I did..as a single link and was only an issue with two links...it is claimed that 20 pairs can be used on a single site,this very likely is the case but again....be aware of spacing as not always practical...read my post on this.

Archived