Security Installer Community

Bt Installation Problem

TSS

Hi,

Anybody on here work for BT?

I have been trying to have a residential line installed to a new property for over 2 weeks...

BT engineer failed to attend (probably not his fault)

Called BT again on Tuesday but after much prompting found out that there is a problem with the order but they either don't know or can't tell me whats wrong, or wether there is a resolution.

Yesterday I spent a total 5 hours on call queueing (including being cut off 6 times!) (About

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Does anyone have a geographic number or contact details for BT Openreach Provision Management?

(0800 022 3090)

Thanks

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Does anyone have a geographic number or contact details for BT Openreach Provision Management?

(0800 022 3090)

Thanks

That number will be different for each area - openreach have many offices. Where are you based?

How did you order the line?

Is this a new build house?

Is there provisions in the building for the phone - NTE, empty wall box left by sparky etc?

Is the BT network in the street if new build? Have the developers fitted the manholes, ducts etc?

I have worked on sites whic are well organised, and some that a very poor. on a well organised site, by the time of compltetion. there will be atleast a 2 pair cable presented to a wall box in each property, run back to the (usually) sunken manholes.

On other sites, the ducts are not laid, or the manholes not constructed, or piles of earth where a manhole should be. Often there is ducts, and just blue rope.......and the BT eng turns up and buggers off as he expects cables to be inplace.

I have a contact with the devon openreach dept which sorts any issues fairly quickly - have a different number for business sales. It really does depend whic area you are in though.

I have found that if you request ADSL at the time of the line, this can slow the process immensly. Best to just get provision of a PSTN line, and then apply for broadband. Very rare to be DACS'ed ona new line these days, so no worries that your line will not be compatible with ADSL - not saying it wont happen - you may live 15 miles from an exchange, and share a 10 pair cable with 20 people!

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

That number will be different for each area - openreach have many offices. Where are you based?

How did you order the line? Over the phone

Is this a new build house? Yes

Is there provisions in the building for the phone - NTE, empty wall box left by sparky etc? cabled from outside house to recessed box for Master

Is the BT network in the street if new build? Have the developers fitted the manholes, ducts etc? yes

I have worked on sites whic are well organised, and some that a very poor. on a well organised site, by the time of compltetion. there will be atleast a 2 pair cable presented to a wall box in each property, run back to the (usually) sunken manholes. Ducts appear empty at present

On other sites, the ducts are not laid, or the manholes not constructed, or piles of earth where a manhole should be. Often there is ducts, and just blue rope.......and the BT eng turns up and buggers off as he expects cables to be inplace. Any BT engs in or around Wellingborough, Northants? - give me some cable and I'll drag it through the empty ducts for you

I have a contact with the devon openreach dept which sorts any issues fairly quickly - have a different number for business sales. It really does depend whic area you are in though. Wellingborough, Northants

I have found that if you request ADSL at the time of the line, this can slow the process immensly. Best to just get provision of a PSTN line, and then apply for broadband. Very rare to be DACS'ed ona new line these days, so no worries that your line will not be compatible with ADSL - not saying it wont happen - you may live 15 miles from an exchange, and share a 10 pair cable with 20 people! No Dacs here - new cables run recently from the exchange (less than 1.5km) No ADSL ordered yet for the above reason

Thanks for your help

TSS

TSS

• 6 months later...

Can anyone shed some light. I had BT disconnected and replaced by cable some six years ago,all that remains is a master socket,our street is served by overhead cables from a telegraph pole(Those on BT),there is no cable to my house, if I enquire to BT will they charge me for provisioning the service to the property or will it be included? - I'm looking at one of their own broadband/home hub deals.

Can anyone shed some light. I had BT disconnected and replaced by cable some six years ago,all that remains is a master socket,our street is served by overhead cables from a telegraph pole(Those on BT),there is no cable to my house, if I enquire to BT will they charge me for provisioning the service to the property or will it be included? - I'm looking at one of their own broadband/home hub deals.

Almost certainly. They'll need to get an Openreach engineer out and it'll cost them a lot more than the standard reconnection charge you pay.

i'm had a similar issue as you, i was on cable previously when i moved into my current home i again stayed with cable. the old overhead wire i removed from the house and coiled up by the pole, later engineers removed it completely.

all was, fine for about 4 years, then a succession of underground cable issues with the copper link from the main dis box down the street to my home, and Telewest not fixing properly so leaving me for weeks without my business line :realmad: , i moved my main line back to BT.

when i phoned up BT Sales, i expected to be charged for the refit, but no as my home was previously registered as having a line the swap over was free, if i wanted an extra line it was

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

so best you phone their sales and ask the questions.

I do recall a while back they had some "come back for free" offers, so it's definitely worth asking.

And I guess you could always argue that you didn't take the overhead line down (you're not allowed to touch it anyway).

I do recall a while back they had some "come back for free" offers, so it's definitely worth asking.

And I guess you could always argue that you didn't take the overhead line down (you're not allowed to touch it anyway).

possibly, but it was to MY house and MY land :bruce_h4h: (well along with the bank).

engineer did not even bat an eyelid

:P

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Any reconnections whether the socket exists or not will be charged the full installation cost, even if all it involves is switching the line on from the exchange you'll get charged for a full provide.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Guest anguscanplay

howd you do that ?

edits without them showing

• 7 months later...

I worked for BTopenreach, so you only have the BT master socket in your house? you have no over head cable that comes to your house? and you want to know if you will be charged for new line (over head to your house) ? just double checking that these are the facts. At the mo they have a deal to come back (residential) for 39.99 instead of the usual

Archived