Security Installer Community

'u' On Keypad - Tamper? How To Fix This?

ferps

Hello, first post, so I hope this is the right forum.

A couple of days ago the keypad on our system showed a 'u' and I can no longer use it. There are no other LEDs lit on it, and the keypad doesn't work. I looked in the manual and it said that this is the 'keypad tamper' state. There's no tampering been going on(!) so I don't know why this should be.

We inherited the alarm system when we bought the house about two years ago. I have no idea what make it is as there is no manufacturer name or product code on the keypad, main panel or manual. But it's a sorta beige colour. :)

Can anyone tell me why this should happen and how I can fix it. If the services of an alarm company are in order, what can I expect to pay to get it fixed? (ballpark)

Really appreciate any help anyone can give.

cheers.

Is there any chance you could put a photo up of the panel/keypad?

All comments in this post are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

Hello, first post, so I hope this is the right forum.

A couple of days ago the keypad on our system showed a 'u' and I can no longer use it. There are no other LEDs lit on it, and the keypad doesn't work. I looked in the manual and it said that this is the 'keypad tamper' state. There's no tampering been going on(!) so I don't know why this should be.

We inherited the alarm system when we bought the house about two years ago. I have no idea what make it is as there is no manufacturer name or product code on the keypad, main panel or manual. But it's a sorta beige colour. :)

Can anyone tell me why this should happen and how I can fix it. If the services of an alarm company are in order, what can I expect to pay to get it fixed? (ballpark)

Really appreciate any help anyone can give.

cheers.

Does the keypad have a cover that slides horizontally to cover the buttons and screen?

if so its an aritech, maybe 33 or somthing.

it's not a scanny, but made by a firm who were eventually bought out by them. was very simular in programming but i can't remmeber the name of the manufacturer - but well old.

it's lost it's programming and defaulted to factory settings, ity should not happen but it do's. given it's age and the memory loss you would be better off spending your money on having it replaced with a modern control panel, one having all the new bells and whistles that come with todays designs.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

alan replace it with a gartec, good panel. ;)

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

alan replace it with a gartec, good panel. ;)

:huh: it's not my panel? i was trying to identify it but good advice to the PO though imo

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hmm, OK. I have been planning to replace it with a new alarm, sound advice.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to get it working again? Will pulling the power do anything?

Many thanks for the advice so far, really appreciated.

sorry to be abrupt, take it from the planning stage to the doing stage, get three quotes from local installers and choose the one that best suits. my little joke with Alan is, that we both use gardtec equipment.

two things spring to mind here, it may not be cost effective to have it repaired.

secondly this may just be the beginning of many little faults to come, it this panel is not finished already.

hope this helps :)

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest anguscanplay
it's not a scanny,

it's lost it's programming and defaulted to factory settings, ity should not happen but it do's. given it's age and the memory loss you would be better off spending your money on having it replaced with a modern control panel, one having all the new bells and whistles that come with todays designs.

regs

alan

this a scanny its //.Large National Installer.// own model version - same progging etc

the u stands for Auxilary tamper - often used for the internal speaker , maybe someone has damaged a cable etc im servicing one this afternoon as mr dave said "bombproof"

this a scanny its //.Large National Installer.// own model version - same progging etc

the u stands for Auxilary tamper - often used for the internal speaker , maybe someone has damaged a cable etc im servicing one this afternoon as mr dave said "bombproof"

QFA

Its a 9100 variant, if its still got the old shape "national installer" bellbox its probably down to this and possibly due to batt/rain ingress.

There's no yellow sticker on the panel so either the engineer was too lazy to affix it or it hasn't been maintained for a while - either way suggest calling a local installer to help out - find one that has engineers that used to work for aformentioned national installer ;) if you can...

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Thanks for the replies.

Some of this is going way over my head - this talk of 'large national installer' and 'bombproof' etc - I'm afraid you've lost me there!

It wouldn't surprise me if there has been some rain damage or something like that - I'm going to check the cabling this evening. Other than that, I don't think it's been touched. So maybe it's an internal battery or fuse has gone?

From the replies, can I assume that there's no easy fix for this and I'll need to get someone out to look at it?

Also, there seems to be a fair bit of disagreement on what sort of box it is. Is there any other information - like photos of specific parts - that I can provide that might clear this up?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Guest Dave the alarm man
Also, there seems to be a fair bit of disagreement on what sort of box it is. Is there any other information - like photos of specific parts - that I can provide that might clear this up?

not at my end :whistle:

modern alarm series 3000 made by atg theres has a metal lid branded mx48 & later as scanny 9100,

yours with plastic lid with hinged bit & moderns chain logo is the former the only real diffrance is your has a psu board whilst others have a tranny,

best option local proper alarm firm which is willing to support "vintage", however no contract often means no support

fuse failure or battery fault should not cause the auxiliary tamper to be indicated

Guest anguscanplay

er sorry about this but i might be wrong and the aux tamper is a H

either way get it seen by a proffesionall or get it upgraded

it is a modern 3000 series. bomb proof but to be honest not really worth fixing as its now an obsolete panel and has been for a few years now. i would definately go for an upgrade. by looking at the pictures i would also say that it is one of the original 3000 series panels.

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

Guest Dave the alarm man
er sorry about this but i might be wrong and the aux tamper is a H

**blows thick layer of dust of book**

t Case tamper, SAB return + aux tamper

U Exxcess Keypress

H Tamper 24 Hour Loop Tamper

either way get it seen by a proffesionall or get it upgraded

yep,

Archived