Security Installer Community

Ip Problem

Alarm Co

OK, if the dvr has no network socket then I think your screwed for remote control via the net, you can live view what's going on but can't control the dvr, do you know what make & model it is. If it's not networable you can remote view it with something like SightWatch from system Q NET200 is the code, they will only deal with trade and you'll be required to prove this to them, because we're in the public side of the site I can't give you prices but you'll get change from

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

to get out of jail, you can get ip servers for single camera's fromlikes of novatec, DABS or pcworld, so you could try this from the monitor output for live viewing, if remote control is not needed.

has to be said though the composite video to vga units tended to lock up on 4 screen displays (guess to many time frames), so might also do the same on an ip server.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Some manufacturer's make a webserver device.

we use the Samsung Electronics webbox SNS110P or SNS200P, basically you loop-through the cameras into the webserver, make a few config changes and drop onto the router/network.

You will then need to setup your router to port forward the correct ports (in the manual)

You should then be able to view th webbox over the net, (subject to having a fixed external IP address)

Basically this means that your customer can view their cameras via a standard html browser such as IE or Firefox

Usual security measures should be employed, eg VPN / firewall / mac address filtering etc

I'm unwilling to mention further details in a public forum, please pm me if you want more details

thanks

tss

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that you have sorted this problem out by now but a good site for IP installation advice is:-

http://www.cctv4all.com

Vicon also have a networking guide for their VDR range at http://web.vicon.co.uk but the principles will be similar for other brands.

Hope this helps you and others installing IP equipment.

Jelly Belly

http://www.software4cctv.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Regards those IP address,

most internal networks run standard IP addresses ie 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 etc etc

its best to have a router as we all know, conected to the broadband line + setup.

The WAN ip address is what the client would type into explorer to find the system on the web. The wan ip comes from your ISP, it will be given to you as static or dynamic.

if dynamic it will change if the routers off for a few hours so you can use http://whatismyip.com/ to find it again.

Example of a 192.168.0.0-255 range

If the routers set to 192.168.0.1 then this will be the gateway address (internet gateway).

your PC`s, printers, servers and laptops can be 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4 . . . . . . . up to 192.168.0.255

your CCTV ip address can be set with-in this range, best to put it higher up to keep it out the way of future pc`s being added. so lets set it at 192.168.0.50

so set DVR to IP=192.168.0.50 Subnet mask=255.255.255.000 Gateway=192.168.0.1

Next you will have to test things localy from the lan. from a laptop or other pc connected to the same lan enter the DVR ip address in the browser in this form http://192.168.0.50 (assuming DVR has webserver on port:80, most have) The DVR`s web page will be displayed, it may also download software to the pc first.

Next you will have to deal with the router which will have some sort of firewall that will block access to the DVR from outside the LAN ie Internet.

If the DVR is the only thing on the LAN you could set it as the DMZ (de-militerised zone), this will pass all internet traffic direct to the DVR with out and firewall. easy option but no security.

If there are other PC`s on the LAN then its definatly best to do it the right way. The destruction book for the DVR will give you a list of internet port numbers that the DVR will use. These ports then need to be un-blocked and directed to the DVR. This can be done in the routers settings.

one more thing, when you have to the WAN ip for the customer it will not work locally- you will get the routers log- on screen. to show the customer it working you would need a laptop with a seperate internet connection of its own ie 3g data card. or get the customer to call someone that is a a computer.

Loads of other things that can be pain DHCP,port-forwarding,double firewalls etc etc but thats the jist of it.

anyone think of anything to add?

• 2 weeks later...

Would you not consider bringing an IT guy on site for a consult? Most of us wouldnt charge if we knew there was potential for more work in the future.. He might be able to help you with all the IP stuff while you can concentrate on the stuff you are familiar with. Im in the reverse situation as you, Im in IT and thinking about getting into cctv so I feel your pain..! IT guys here would charge 50 to 150 and hour, well worth a consult if your customer is nice!!!!

Fla

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Most of us have remote cctv up and running on our jobs and some of our houses (after some grief got mine going) but unless people have some understanding of what they're trying to do with ip addresses and port forwarding then it's hard to try and teach over here to some extent. No offence ment to anyone at all here but lets say 60yr old spark comes on, me mate wants cctv in his shop, done a bit a few years ago, put him dvr in, he's got internet at shop, not sure what it is, what do I plug me dvr into the telephone to make it work, if you get my drift. When you've done it then most will get their head around it, best thing is to look into it first and find a router that suits you and stick with it, some have different setups around port forwarding etc, if you stick with one it will make you life easier if your not too sure, not hard to do, if everyone got netgear routers we could send them an email telling how to turn on remote assistance, setup the router for them, tell them how to config the dvr and everyones happy..... what a nice way to earn a fiver. All the best lads

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived