Security Installer Community

Twinflex Panel

A90

any one installed one of these

I`ve worked on these panels before (Rafiki panels) ok but detectors are a pain to change

Pete

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

Guest Cerberus NI
not that bad, installed a few, can be a pain for fault finding as detection and sounders on same cable, various options for zonal sounder acticivation etc

detectors are easy to change, you just need to make sure you set correct dil switches

I think that the theory behind them is great (combined smoke or heat and/or sounder with internal eol) - I just find the panels a bit unreliable and a bit of a pain if you inadvertantly switch a zone off!

I think that the theory behind them is great (combined smoke or heat and/or sounder with internal eol) - I just find the panels a bit unreliable and a bit of a pain if you inadvertantly switch a zone off!

yeah fair point, if you dont have the instructions etc they can be fun

have breifly played with the sita addressable kit, no bad but alot like gent :no:

I have installed 60 of these systems in the last 3 years. I can't see the logic in installing seperate sounder circuits anymore. Unfortunatley you have to read the instructions the first time you install one, simply because the principal is different to what we have used for the last 30 years.

The addressable systems are very competetively priced, progarmmable by a laptop, with free software including a diagnostics programme.

Rafiki support is excellent if you need it.

I wouldn't recommend them to any of my competetors :)

• 2 weeks later...

We use the Twin Flex and find them very flexible and reliable, technical assistance is very good and always available and we know what some manufacturers are like, additionally they will even go to site for some fault applications! plus

I`ve just had a free traing session via ADI Gardiner Security on the Sita panel, excellent, really good people

We use the Twin Flex and find them very flexible and reliable, technical assistance is very good and always available and we know what some manufacturers are like, additionally they will even go to site for some fault applications! plus

I`ve just had a free traing session via ADI Gardiner Security on the Sita panel, excellent, really good people

Honestly if you fit lots of these you can't call them reliable...had loads of trouble from detectors with bad connections in the bases, many MCP sounder failures, loads of issues with sita as well, have to use a PC to study the log or activate a LED to trace a detector...great! Better on the new software I'm told... loads of call backs on the one's we had...shame as they are pretty good otherwise...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

• 3 weeks later...
Honestly if you fit lots of these you can't call them reliable...had loads of trouble from detectors with bad connections in the bases, many MCP sounder failures, loads of issues with sita as well, have to use a PC to study the log or activate a LED to trace a detector...great! Better on the new software I'm told... loads of call backs on the one's we had...shame as they are pretty good otherwise...

Honestly we fit loads of these and I would call them extremely reliable. I have only ever replaced one head and that was to keep the customer happy rather than out of technical necessity. Admittedly we mainly use Sita (addressable) 'cos the wiring is so much simpler and more flexible long term (people will keep knocking down walls and joining flats together and so on).

The log is available on the panel at user access level, and you can 'find' a detector from the panel at engineer access level (by sounding it if it's got a sounder, or LED if not). Admittedly some functions are only available via PC but as we fit a lot of addressable stuff my engineers carry laptops anyway. The diagnostic software is (in theory) very useful indeed but I never need to use it, other than to show off.

The only problems we ever get are where the system is installed by sparks who haven't done it before. If we're supplying the kit then we'll give them a few pointers about base terminations, about what the pins are for, and about how we want it ready for commissioning...

Once you're used to it, it's fantastic kit. We're putting in addressable systems for less money than our main competitor's conventional stuff. I love it.

I have to say that (with all due respect) I think that their slightly dodgy reputation is in part caused by the fact that they will insist on selling it all over the place (screwfix etc) so you find a lot of installs done by people who really shouldn't have. That's not a pop at anyone on here, by the way... :)

Matt

Guest Cerberus NI
Honestly we fit loads of these and I would call them extremely reliable. I have only ever replaced one head and that was to keep the customer happy rather than out of technical necessity. Admittedly we mainly use Sita (addressable) 'cos the wiring is so much simpler and more flexible long term (people will keep knocking down walls and joining flats together and so on).

The log is available on the panel at user access level, and you can 'find' a detector from the panel at engineer access level (by sounding it if it's got a sounder, or LED if not). Admittedly some functions are only available via PC but as we fit a lot of addressable stuff my engineers carry laptops anyway. The diagnostic software is (in theory) very useful indeed but I never need to use it, other than to show off.

The only problems we ever get are where the system is installed by sparks who haven't done it before. If we're supplying the kit then we'll give them a few pointers about base terminations, about what the pins are for, and about how we want it ready for commissioning...

Once you're used to it, it's fantastic kit. We're putting in addressable systems for less money than our main competitor's conventional stuff. I love it.

I have to say that (with all due respect) I think that their slightly dodgy reputation is in part caused by the fact that they will insist on selling it all over the place (screwfix etc) so you find a lot of installs done by people who really shouldn't have. That's not a pop at anyone on here, by the way... :)

Matt

I think that you make a good point there as I've only came across those installed via the bargain bucket method (panel + heads + sounders =

Matt

If you installed earlier Sita there is no way to find a detector and the log dosen't help you find a faulty device either, we had to have Rafiki on site to replace factory faulty MCP's on one site, get repeated call backs for high z connections in their bases and had a faulty detrector that took out a panel twice on a conventional system. We fitted it for several years and I stick by the comments I made that it was unreliable compared to other makes. What it's like in the last 12 months I don't know as I don't touch it anymore.

BTW I did say the newer software had the engineer functions like remote LED switch etc. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

If you installed earlier Sita there is no way to find a detector and the log dosen't help you find a faulty device either, we had to have Rafiki on site to replace factory faulty MCP's on one site, get repeated call backs for high z connections in their bases and had a faulty detrector that took out a panel twice on a conventional system. We fitted it for several years and I stick by the comments I made that it was unreliable compared to other makes. What it's like in the last 12 months I don't know as I don't touch it anymore.

BTW I did say the newer software had the engineer functions like remote LED switch etc. :)

perhaps I've just been lucky! Although I've fitted it in my own right for 2 years now, before that I worked for one of their distributors as a commissioning engineer and fitted the stuff right from the beginning. Now admittedly some of the early stuff was temperamental, and the early Sita had it's issues, but it's all good now. Just to be an arrogant annoying prat - you were able to find a device on software versions 3, 2 and later end of 1 (using a laptop though).

We stuck with it over the years (and admittedly there were occasionally reasons not to) because it does a job that no other kit will do, at a price point thats sensible. (having said that, has anyone used the new CTEC kit designed for multiple dwellings yet?)

Matt

perhaps I've just been lucky! Although I've fitted it in my own right for 2 years now, before that I worked for one of their distributors as a commissioning engineer and fitted the stuff right from the beginning. Now admittedly some of the early stuff was temperamental, and the early Sita had it's issues, but it's all good now. Just to be an arrogant annoying prat - you were able to find a device on software versions 3, 2 and later end of 1 (using a laptop though).

We stuck with it over the years (and admittedly there were occasionally reasons not to) because it does a job that no other kit will do, at a price point thats sensible. (having said that, has anyone used the new CTEC kit designed for multiple dwellings yet?)

Matt

Just to be an arrogant annoying prat - you were able to find a device on software versions 3, 2 and later end of 1 (using a laptop though).

That's what I said without giving software numbers.

Now admittedly some of the early stuff was temperamental, and the early Sita had it's issues,

That's also what I said, so we agree it was ****. :yes:

My Amateur Radio Forum

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

First post, very nervous, good impressions an all.

I have installed and maintained this kit for years, Rafiki kit is great and always has been, well designed(a few colour changes are due i believe), the kit is so cheap comparatively, the technical help is fantastic (thankyou Jeremy). The only issues ive ever had are with poorly installed or maintained systems generally. They have improved thier systems tremendously to what they were and dont forget they are also fairly new, the term tarred with a sh..ty brush comes to mind now, go on give them a break. You can pick on someone else, plenty of new products out.

Pete

"I told you i was testing the alarm today"

"Yeah but my staff and the shopping centre didnt know"

"oooops"

"PLEASE EVACUATE THE SHOPPING CENTRE, THIS IS A FIRE ALARM ACTIVATION" repeats in the background.

My finest hour!

Hi all.

First post, very nervous, good impressions an all.

I have installed and maintained this kit for years, Rafiki kit is great and always has been, well designed(a few colour changes are due i believe), the kit is so cheap comparatively, the technical help is fantastic (thankyou Jeremy). The only issues ive ever had are with poorly installed or maintained systems generally. They have improved thier systems tremendously to what they were and dont forget they are also fairly new, the term tarred with a sh..ty brush comes to mind now, go on give them a break. You can pick on someone else, plenty of new products out.

Pete

So if they have improved tremendously they must of been poor to start with.

We use them & the early systems we installed were a pain in the bum. Last one was more reliable only replaces 3 faulty heads in the first year.

Trade Member

I am waiting at the moment to see what Sensotec are going to do regarding nearly 20 detectors that have been returned to them (via my wholesailer).

They are faulty and are all less than 2 years old, and they have said that they are out of waranty.

However,,,,,,,,,, Rafiki say that they offer a 2 year waranty on detectors?????.

It's been over 4 weeks since I last heard anything, must give them a ring this week.

we (reluctantly) service about a dozen of these things. Each one we have taken on has had to have chambers replaced. All are less than a year old. Fitted by sparkies who bought them as the cheapest option from wholesalers and had no intention of maintaining them.

We have replaced 2 of them with Kentec 2 wire panels with Hochiki Savwire heads.

If they are better than they used to be then they must have been god-awful.

If you buy on price only, you deserve what you get!

(P.S. I think the idea is good but the kit isn't).

Fire Member

If you buy on price only, you deserve what you get!

You've obviously never heard of the Sale of Goods Act, and the term 'of merchantable quality', remind me never to buy from your company.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

You've obviously never heard of the Sale of Goods Act, and the term 'of merchantable quality', remind me never to buy from your company.

Bit unfair, as i read it, poor fella was saying h reluctantly has to service them. Never said anything about selling them.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Bit unfair, as i read it, poor fella was saying h reluctantly has to service them. Never said anything about selling them.

Ok, I'll knock off 'remind me never to buy from your company', but the rest still stands

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Archived