Security Installer Community

Credit Check

I know someone who has just started as a trainee service engineer with a smallish outfit. They asked him to do his own credit check via Experian then send them the first page of the report. This, they say, is to check whether he has any CCJs and that he's registered to vote.

Is this normal now?

Didn't happen to me when I started a new job last year.

He can't do it. In order to do the credit check they asked for, he needs a credit card.

He doesn't have one.

Don't reckon he needs one.

BS 7858:2006

This revision of takes account of Private Security Industry Act 2001. The Act requires that any person engaged in licensable activities, as designated in the Act, be licensed in accordance with the Act. It is an offence to engage in licensable conduct when not in possession of the appropriate licence. This edition introduces criminality checks if the activity undertaken is not licensable, requires organizations to combat identity theft and fraud, introduces credit reference checking, and addresses the increasing frequency with which employees change jobs.

Now, if anybody can interprate hat b*ll*x into proper English pray do. As i see it, a credit check ain't needed. If it is, then it is needed on everybody, including the lads boss. That should put the matter to rest.

I know someone who has just started as a trainee service engineer with a smallish outfit. They asked him to do his own credit check via Experian then send them the first page of the report. This, they say, is to check whether he has any CCJs and that he's registered to vote.

Is this normal now?

Didn't happen to me when I started a new job last year.

As from Jun 07 its a new standard for people joining the industry

sw

Thanks for the replies, people. He was wondering what action an employer might take should a CCJ turn up? Depends what the application form aked for. If he told a porky re financials it could lose him the job. He hasn't any CCJs, BTW. He did have to pay a phone bill via collection agency, which has now been paid off. At least he will see the credit report before they do (he will have to apply for his credit report and copy the company) and may be able to correct any errors.

TB

As far as I understand the new rule it is to prevent bankrupts entering the industry,not sure of the the thought behind it but I suppose its a good move.

• 3 weeks later...
As far as I understand the new rule it is to prevent bankrupts entering the industry,not sure of the the thought behind it but I suppose its a good move.

I know this is an old post but thought i would reply

From the 1 st jan (this year) as part of the vetting procedure you have to under go a credit check and also the dvla are contacted as well to confirm amout of points etc

From the 1 st jan (this year) as part of the vetting procedure you have to under go a credit check and also the dvla are contacted as well to confirm amout of points etc

bother, thought I'd be able to get away with the points... :whistle:

Actually mine have expired - just waiting for them to time-out so I can get them removed...

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

I have a job interview tommorow, i dont have any points on my license ,but i have terrible credit, not sure if i have any ccjs mind you ,but this is pathetic ,fair enough do the normal vetting procedures but what does it matter if you have ccjs ,thats your personal life not your work life.

JOKE.......

I think its more to check that you haven't committed any fraud or money laundering.

Also what about the people already in the industry?? why the new but not the old??? no sense really

another bit of paperwork for the industry, very green thinking, not

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

I think its more to check that you haven't committed any fraud or money laundering.

Also what about the people already in the industry?? why the new but not the old??? no sense really

another bit of paperwork for the industry, very green thinking, not

It s only for new applicants,i am not sure what happens if one of these reference agency throws up some thing wrong i guess its up to company you have applied to

• 4 weeks later...
Someone with a poor credit history is more likely to be dishonest than some one with a clean credit history.

That's about the size of it Integrity.

The company has had the report a few weeks now. News travels fast so it seems not to have gone against the lad although, like us, they probably don't understand it. Anyway, he's Battery Boy now. Out on his own doing 4 - 5 RI's a day and boss is happy.

Regards,

TB

Archived