Security Installer Community

Chubb Bellbox

pollyx

Hi, new on here and reading through there is some fantastic info.

Im having problems with my C&K Securitech System (Sentinel CA67 Panel) after a power cut. Its all powered up fine and both the panel and remote panel seem to working fine (beeps and lights) although its not accepting codes and the internal siren is constantly running. If you leave it for 10 mins it stops but starts again as soon as any PIR or door is triggered. If I power down the system from the fuse box the external siren sounds. Power it up again and the external siren stops leaving just the internal one going.

Reading around on here, I suspect its battery problems as its not been serviced since 1999 according to the records.

I want to change the battery in the panel and the bellbox, as that would sound a sensible start. A few questions:

1. Is the bellbox (a chubb branded one) easy to get into (any special tools) and change the battery? Ive read the threads about the loud siren and strobe voltage so will be careful there not to fall off the ladder!!!!

2. I guess the tamper will be tripped when I open either the panel or bellbox? Although removing the bellbox battery should stop it sounding?

3. Is replacing the batteries as simple as opening the boxes, putting in new ones and closing again? Using then either the factory code or my own if still in memory?

Any help much appreciated. I want to try this before paying Chubb the silly money to open a contract so I can get maintenance. If not any Chubb engineers in the Stansted Airport area?

Thanks,

Guest anguscanplay

hi pollyx

youre right theres some great advise on the forum but in the case of your problem im going to say get the system serviced proffesionally and soon as the battery may be overcharging with the subsiquent fire risk

ring two or three local firms - describe the faults and ask for an idea of the cost it shouldnt be too expensive and you will know the problems are sorted

alarms arnot designed to be user servicable as a security precaution

if i gave you the answers to all your questions it would compramise other peoples systems

dont delay any longer

angus

Hi, new on here and reading through there is some fantastic info.

Any help much appreciated. I want to try this before paying Chubb the silly money to open a contract so I can get maintenance. If not any Chubb engineers in the Stansted Airport area?

Thanks,

tbh, having saved on several years of maintenance charges i can't see your problem even if you get Chubbs back in, they will service the system, check charging voltages and replace the batteries. after all you can always cancel after a year and go another 4 - 7 if your lucky.

there being frugal and there is saving a penny only to loose a pound.

alternatively a good local firm i'm sure will sort your system out, and possibly be a little cheaper, but get a quote before engaging them to be sure your not 'screwed'. work out what you have saved, deduct from what the reairs cost and you should still be ahead.

we can not confirm, deny or advise you on your assumptions, to do so as Angus has said could jepordise the security of other systems.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

tbh, having saved on several years of maintenance charges i can't see your problem even if you get Chubbs back in, they will service the system, check charging voltages and replace the batteries. after all you can always cancel after a year and go another 4 - 7 if your lucky.

there being frugal and there is saving a penny only to loose a pound.

alternatively a good local firm i'm sure will sort your system out, and possibly be a little cheaper, but get a quote before engaging them to be sure your not 'screwed'. work out what you have saved, deduct from what the reairs cost and you should still be ahead.

we can not confirm, deny or advise you on your assumptions, to do so as Angus has said could jepordise the security of other systems.

regs

alan

Thanks for the advise. I am just not happy paying Chubb 250 pounds for a maintenance contract and a call out only be told (guess what)....You need a whole new one!! The attitude I got from them last night at 10pm when my alarm was going off too puts me off giving them any work or money!

I will try a couple of local firms.

cheers,

Thanks for the advise. I am just not happy paying Chubb 250 pounds for a maintenance contract and a call out only be told (guess what)....You need a whole new one!! The attitude I got from them last night at 10pm when my alarm was going off too puts me off giving them any work or money!

cheers,

i can appreciate your annoyance, to play 'devils advocate' remmember you were not paying to use their 24 hour service.

proves it is all down to the individual who answer's the phone will affect deeply the view you as a client will take of a company, you could get a really nice person who knows absolutely nothing, or a very abrupt or rude one who is a 'cream' engineer, people skills is an art apart.

best of luck

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay

cheers,

HOW MUCH!!!!!!!

:sofa1:

that aint expensive sparky

I think its a liberty. They want me to buy a maintenance contract for 100 plus VAT.......BUT my system is not covered by that contract as its "too old" so I would have to pay 105 plus VAT for an engineer on top. I CANT have just the engineer. Its like I have to pay 117.50 just to be in the club! and then after the contract and call I am 250 out of pocket on a potentially old knackered system.

Anyway, after shopping around like suggested, tried a few local companies and have a whole new system being installed Saturday morning for 300 squids including first years maintenance.

No brainer me thinks.

Guest anguscanplay
I think its a liberty. They want me to buy a maintenance contract for 100 plus VAT.......BUT my system is not covered by that contract as its "too old" so I would have to pay 105 plus VAT for an engineer on top. I CANT have just the engineer. Its like I have to pay 117.50 just to be in the club! and then after the contract and call I am 250 out of pocket on a potentially old knackered system.

Anyway, after shopping around like suggested, tried a few local companies and have a whole new system being installed Saturday morning for 300 squids including first years maintenance.

No brainer me thinks.

thanks for the feed back - quite often its seen as too contentious an answer to say " get an engineer in " but im sure you will be glad you have post again if you need anymore help

angus

No brainer me thinks.

100quid plus vat is about normal round here but its up to the alarm companys discretion if they will matain your existing panel, so they will try for an upgrade

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

No brainer me thinks.

its good when members of the public follow up their posts after getting advice, thanks pollyx

its good when members of the public follow up their posts after getting advice, thanks pollyx

No problems, thanks for the advice.

only downside is a got a damn parking ticket whilst at the alarm company agreeing the deal for 5 minutes!!!! :ranting:

No problems, thanks for the advice.

only downside is a got a damn parking ticket whilst at the alarm company agreeing the deal for 5 minutes!!!! :ranting:

hi pollyx

i'd complain bitterly and and see if they will knock it of the bill - only joking.

many thanks posting back as thats the only 'payment' we get out of posting our replie's.

while nobody want's to feel they have been ripped off, and great if you have got a bargain at the price your not being 'done'. please remmember though that what is initially cheapest is not always the best true cheapest option, so research that takeover company carefully. some charge an anual fee for the routine visit (preventive maintenance) and 24 hour stand by service, but that don't always cover the cost of the engineer should you need a service call, especially out of hours and after the 1st year.

regs

alan

Archived