Security Installer Community

NSI Private Forum

Guest Peter James

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont see anyone that has spat the dummy actually, in fact i think its been generally a very constructive debate. Bellman has provided a good stance from the //.National Installer.// point of view. Peter has stated his NSI point of view.

There is no problem!

Personally i dont see why anyone needs a private forum and i remain unconvinced although Bellmans post has swayed me a little bit.

I still think an open forum for all engineers is better, usually other peoples opinions are a lot more helpfull and positive and will outweigh them than the negative comments will in terms of value.

Thats why we have a forum isnt it?

this should really be in the trade section in my opinion also

I disagree, if this post is removed now the same questions will just be asked by someone else who perhaps hasnt seen this post, and all the same questions will have to be answered again.

At least now most questions have been asked and answered, and are here for all to see.

Nearly every forum has private sections that only a few members have access too, the only difference here is im not hiding them, now i know why they say "out of sight out of mind". Perhaps i should have hidden them when i set them up, but now their known and visible there`s not much point in that.

The NSI and ADT member forums are here to stay, I know they could have set up an MSN community or a YAHOO group, but they asked if i minded setting up these forums and I saw no good reason why not too..

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Haven't said anything on this one yet, but my view if //.National Installer.// Engineers want somewhere to talk about wages and bitch about company practices,then what benefit can we bring to the party, if they want to change anything then they need to do it from within their company. Yes, a forum is meant to be open to all, but the //.National Installer.// forum is no different to the trade forums(select group of members talking shop)

Its done so we have to live with it. Yes maybe it should be hidded from view, but if you cant see it, who would be able to join? noone, so yes it has to be on view.

The NSI forum - companies that NSI/Nacoss approved have always had a them and us attidude to the industry, even had the same attidtude when Nacoss proposed ICON. We will never change this view and again they forget that they were once unapproved, silver or icon before they became gold or quality assured

(Before you say it sour grapes, nope, been there done that, moved on to something new)

I reckon that we are forgetting that we work in the same industry and that unless we work together things will never improve in our industry, theres to many commitees and meetings by people who dont actually work at the sharp end every day, decieding how why and when we will do things. Theres nothing that cannot be discussed on in NSI trade section in the trade forums, or are we scared of the trouble that may develope if you have a different opinion form the NSI line and in case what are the regional meetings of approved installers for - dont you air your opinions there and then discuss them.

What about the Companies that are working to get NSI approved surely the same issues affect them, so they should be privy to the same discussions.

If elements of industry continue to drive a wedge between the different areas of the it, how can the industry benefit?

Come on lets all see sense and start working together to improve and build on our industry rather than continue to splinter it further.

In short //.National Installer.// forum - no problem, dont see why they cant discuss company issues in private.

NSI forum - Bad idea, only helps to widen the divide in our industry.

Moderator access - yes i would love to be able to view them, but there again i do like to be nosey some times :lol:

Lastly lay off Dave - as one of the //.National Installer.// guys said - he puts in the time and more importantly its his money that pays for the forum.

Colin.

Guest granleyss

I agree with Colin Lay off Dave

and also ........

So but the NSI forum is a farce at the end of the day there is nothing confidential in there that all engineers should'nt know (even unapproved) so only restricting to only approved companys is a bad thing at the end of the day it doesn,t matter what goes in there as some moderators have said we are all entitled to our opinions regardless and some may even learn things they don,t even know we are supposted to be working as a team (regardless of what status you are) because if you can't then you should'nt be here.

There my little essey lol. :rolleyes:

Guest Affinity

gee I really must be missing something coz I just cant see where anyone is having a go at Dave ..... all I am reading into this is questions being asked with responses from members and Dave .... I dont honestly thing anyone is having a go at Dave for they have no reason to do so and I am surprised to find anyone would think that any postings were intentionally against Dave I am sure that any of you who have posted that are misinterpreting what the guys have said.

Dave does a fine job and we all appreciate that so please dont think otherwise Dave I do think members have just posted what they consider constructive questions or critisisms.

Hi Linda,

Dave has been bombarded with people moaning about /wanting access to the //.National Installer.// forum.

This is what Eng and others are refering to.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

I can understand //.National Installer.// people wanting access to the //.National Installer.// forum, and I know that some of the moderators were confused about not being able to moderate in the //.National Installer.// forum, but I havent seen anyone moan, I have seen constructive criticism, and comments from the users of this forum.

I dont see why anyone would intentionally have a go at Dave, as there is no reason to and the moderators would warn - or even ban that person if we felt they had crossed the line (as well as remove there post).

We have to be able to have constructive criticism and be able to air our comments/concerns/ideas to enhance the forum.

Dale

Guest andy jinks

//.National Installer.// forum is here to stay

NSI forum is here to stay

Come on lads just get over it.....

There will always be a them and us feel,even with ssiab and nsi .....

off topic but prompted by the above post ,i have always had a prob with mods being able to ban people i think that should be daves job.......

Is there a Bronze level, just wondering as there`s 3 medals shown on the website..?

There is a Bronze level but that only applies to the Guarding sector and is for a company going through its probationary stage. Just an added thought.....if everyone here joined //.National Installer.// then they would be able to access both the //.National Installer.// and NSI forums... :P

Just an added thought.....if everyone here joined ADT then they would be able to access both the ADT and NSI forums
Dont think so, the NSI Forums are for company management i believe as apposed to company employees. I may be wrong though, its upto Pete.
i have always had a prob with mods being able to ban people i think that should be daves job
I agree, Mods cant ban anyone, thats my job.

Quick point of note:

When I said ban, I meant a short term ban from posting - this occurs when you hit 100% on the warn bar (if I remeber correctly) and is removed after a few days? Moderators can only warn a person once in a given day, they cannot unilateraly ban someone - although we can edit your post, or even move it to the deleted forum so Dave can asses whether you should be banned.

Anyway - back to the point I was originally going to make...

If //.National Installer.// want a forum, then leave them to it.... do we really want to know what they are talking about? As for NSI, lay off Pete, if he wants an NSI forum then so what?

PS Dave, can I have a "getting approved" forum? Cause I want to let unapproved installers share ideas on how to move towards becoming approved.

Dale

The NSI forum - companies that NSI/Nacoss approved have always had a them and us attitude to the industry, even had the same attitude when Nacoss proposed ICON.
You hit the nail on the head Colin, but its more than just NSI/Nacoss, we have all come across the //.National Installer.// or chubb engineer who will not talk to you because of their "better than you attitude" (and I'm not picking on //.National Installer.///Chubb engineers, its just to show a point :) )

I maybe wrong but I think that's what the lads that are against the closed forums were getting at.. They didn't want access to them.

As most of the forum are now happy with the decision that there will be closed forums, then only time will tell if the trade forum turns into the same attitude.. <_<

As some of the //.National Installer.// lads and others think I was picking on Dave in on of my other post, then you need to read my post again and the post I was replying to..

As bellman said

Some of the things we discuss are covered under confidentiality agreements in our contracts
then is this not ground for getting fired from your job (As you said discussing confidential info that a engineer from another company has access to)

sonic.youth, were does it say in my post that Dave didn't treat everything in this forum in total confidentiality. I was looking at it from //.National Installer.// management point of view, in light of what bellman said that the //.National Installer.// lads wanted the closed forum for....

This point of view maybe wrong, but may I ask Pete (and no I'm not picking on him now :D ) you employ engineers, would you be happy in them discussing your companies confidential info in a closed forum?(If you didn't know Dave) If yes then I hold my hands up and apologize to the //.National Installer.// lads.

jpaul

Edited on behalf of Jpaul ...

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

PS Dave, can I have a "getting approved" forum? Cause I want to let unapproved installers share ideas on how to move towards becoming approved.
Ok Dale, thats set up for you.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply,

But I wasn't getting at the //.National Installer.// lads on this forum, I was replying to a comment I had posted. I wasn't meaning to be personal to anybody

I was just making a point :)

I, like others, don't see the need for closed forums, and in doing so could turn the trade forum into them and us (by "them" I don't mean //.National Installer.// before anyone starts ;) )

And as I said in the early post

only time will tell if the trade forum turns into the same attitude..

jpaul

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Guest granleyss
This topic has become an example one of the reasons why I asked for a private forum for NSI.

The title asks for NSI companies to contact me for access it says nothing about debating why there should or shouldnt be a private forum, but thats what its turned into.

Yeah ok an //.National Installer.// forum for the //.National Installer.// guys fine to some degree but to stop unapproved companys accessing the NSI forum thats a joke it doesn't matter if we are approved or not we are all the same and as you have all said we are entitled to are opioens, if the NSI Forum becomes a debate so what at the end of the day we including us NON APPROVED companys are entitled to have our say. If it going to start becoming a closed forum for everything then whats the point of this whole forum. Its stupid we should have access to everything and share our information and works together as friends and as a team if it going to become a battle of the closed forums or approved verses unapproved then it makes this site not worth looking at we are all a team and should all be friends.

There are allready NACOSS and SSAIB forums, for any questions that employees of registered companies, or employees of un-registered companies are quite welcome to use, and they are what everyone not envolved in the management side of things should be using, The Forum Pete`s had set up is not intended for all those General type questions but is more for company Managers and management to discuss the finer points of requirements. And im sure that Pete will let anyone involved with that side of running a company into his Forum. But why everyone else should need access to this Forum is beyond me.

A lot of you are allready in the privelaged position of having access to the Trade Forums, these are hidden from 99% of the forum members, so that means that around 45% of these forums are hidden to normal members, but do you hear any of those members crying because they cant see/access them....? No you dont, and YES they do know they exist.... And thats why it supprises me soo much at all of these negative opinions just because your being refused addmission to just those 2 Forums.

Guest granleyss

Yeah but we should be able to contribute to the comments being made. NSI applies to all, not some. I don't mean to come across as sarcie but I believe we should have a right to impliment our comments on matters regardless whether we are approved or not and closing a forum to non nsi members is saying that we don't get a say.

There are allready NACOSS and SSAIB forums, for any questions that employees of registered companies, or employees of un-registered companies are quite welcome to use, and they are what everyone not envolved in the management side of things should be using
If your in anyway involved as a Director, or part of the managerial team running a company then im sure Pete will allow you access. If your not, well why should you be let in...? if your employer has a management meeting are you invited..?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I've read all the comments and i found most of your arguments for and against had merrit BUT

I am an install/service engineer for an aproved S.S.I.A.B company

I asked my gov. before joining this site ,

I joined becuse i care about MY performance when servicing / installing a system and any hints, tips which will improve the service i give to customers has got to be for the better

If some one wants to go off and moan or talk about his/her respective company/governing body thats fine and should be done in private & without predudice

the pages of the public forum are first class .

As a web sit this one is first class and Dave should be praised for producing a site that gives a huge ammount of info without breaching copyright,manufacturers restrictions

At the End of it all We are Engineers Trying to Improve Standards across the security spectrum

for the benifit of the client/customer and Engineer

" A manager asks his employees how much effort they think they are giving the company and he gets a range of replys from 75% to 90% so he decides to take his employees on a team building exercise Parachute Jumping.

In the plane at 10,000 feet they are about to jump when the manager says the guy packing your Chutes said he was putting about 90% effort into doing the job propperly"

Life is like a box of choclates.....if you dont get there first your left with all the naff ones

Archived