Security Installer Community

Nice Wiring

uski

Hi,

A relative asked me to find some spare remotes for his electric gate; before I answered I wanted to know the manufacturer and PCB model of his controller, so I opened it and found this:

post-6868-075218200 1275866175_thumb.jpg

The relay, with live 220v in it, fallen into my hands when I removed the cover. And they used telephone wire to supply the 220v to the lighting of the entrance.

And it's not a DIY job :fear:

Is it only me or you also encounter this kind of horrible installs from time to time ?..

uski

It's neat compared to the one I'm fixing at the moment.

Seen open contact type relay bases used on 240 inside a sliding cupboard in a shopping centre, seen a keyswitch in same shopping centre with bare contacts at 240v, no insulation whatever, almost got a shock off that one!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

yes these types of jobs come to light form time to time. are you sure telephone vcable was used for 220v could it have gone somewhere else mayybe 12vdc

cheers

cjt

Yes it's really the 220v that was in the telephone cable :fear:

And I remember I also found a door contact with no insulation in a shop, detecting the opening of the door and triggering a relay to ring a bell when someone was entering the shop. I inadvertently touched the top of the contact and got a small electric shock... and this was done by a "professionnal" electrician :/

A few years ago I went to fit an extra PIR in a house that was having an extension built.

The panel was a 10 year old Logic 4, in perfect working order, 'never had any trouble with it!'

The 230V supply was cabled using the same 4c alarm cable as the PIRs, and to top it all..........only two cores were being used!!

Black and red of course!.........But no earth?

Fair enough though, they did use a fuse spur, even if it was the boilers.

DIY job, son had just left uni apparently, studied pyrotechnics by the look of it!

i know why he did it to save on the fireworks on nov 5th

:lol:

but seriously thats really bad :yes:

i hope you put it right of course. :whistle:

cheers cjt

Yeah, he used the yellow core for an earth. LOL.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

No, he put green lines on it with a felt tip pen. :P

Only joking of course, steweng.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

i know why he did it to save on the fireworks on nov 5th

:lol:

but seriously thats really bad :yes:

i hope you put it right of course. :whistle:

cheers cjt

Of course!

They were horrified when I pointed it out and wanted a complete new system.

I have seen an old but live socket under a bath in a house that was being converted into flats, I used it to charge my drill because the house still had work going on and it was the most convenient point. The electrician had finished his work and was not coming back.

Some people say it is illegal others say not, some say as long as it is bonded locally to earth it is ok?

The only way I think that could be legal is if the bath panel was fitted in such a way that there was no access to it and RCD protection?

Any opinions out there, obviously I know it is not recommended but does it go completely against the wiring regs!

• 2 months later...

This is a pic of what I found above the false ceiling while I was commissioning a system installed by a subby!

post-10985-1180960533_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This is a pic of what I found above the false ceiling while I was commissioning a system installed by a subby!

The question I have to ask is why? Lack of experience, lazy or was it the trainee. The easy way to sort this out is to take a photo (like you already done), put it right take another photo for proof and then deduct your time in money from the subbies payment. Its the only way to make subbies learn that if they want work then they need to do it properly. In this case I can see no excuses for doing that way. I am subby and it annoys me when I see things like this because this guy calls himself a subby when really he is a 'chancer', lets see what we get away with attitude

Its sad.

Kev

another case of a few more seconds and he could have done the job properly, i would be a little verbous as you could immagine towards this twerp.

i might also take the time to exsplain to him that most if not all manufacturer's, do not recommend running detection in the same cable as sirens :realmad: .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
i might also take the time to exsplain to him that most if not all manufacturer's, do not recommend running detection in the same cable as sirens :realmad: .

regs

alan

xxxx are you telling me yet again that ive been doing it wrong for the last twenty years :no: or did you mean to say speakers :yes: and data cables :)

xxxx are you telling me yet again that ive been doing it wrong for the last twenty years :no: or did you mean to say speakers :yes: and data cables :)

hi Angus,

no matey, for as long as i can remmember it was no bells/sirens (including speakers) to be run in with zone wiring, even conventional CCT wiring zone cables, and way before data ever crept into alarms - i'm talking relays and transistor technomology here.

it could cause a false indication, also more for engineers safety. ever touched a 'pair' feeding a ringing internal bell? three cherries and a lots of swearing guarenteed, in a siren with an operating strobe inadvertantly touching the 12 volts supply could actually burn you.

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
hi Angus,

no matey, for as long as i can remmember it was no bells/sirens (including speakers) to be run in with zone wiring, even conventional CCT wiring zone cables, and way before data ever crept into alarms - i'm talking relays and transistor technomology here.

it could cause a false indication, also more for engineers safety. ever touched a 'pair' feeding a ringing internal bell? three cherries and a lots of swearing guarenteed, in a siren with an operating strobe inadvertantly touching the 12 volts supply could actually burn you.

regs

alan

time for your medicine again old chap

its 12v plain and simple nothing more nothing less the cable would melt before it hurt and the strobe touch the supply - er isolated by the transformer in the external box

speakers not good - corrupts data

im working in a little shop installing security at the mo .old trunking running everywhere, not nice. its also quite untidy. the previous owner had left a drum of mains cable in a corner, i thought nothing of it and it wasn't in my way so i didn't touch it. the new owner and my customer was moving sockets and was trying to trace cables from the fuse board, guess where the cable wired into the 30 amp fuse went?

that's right, the cooker, only joking it was the drum of cable in the corner, live and 30 amps!

im working in a little shop installing security at the mo .old trunking running everywhere, not nice. its also quite untidy. the previous owner had left a drum of mains cable in a corner, i thought nothing of it and it wasn't in my way so i didn't touch it. the new owner and my customer was moving sockets and was trying to trace cables from the fuse board, guess where the cable wired into the 30 amp fuse went?

that's right, the cooker, only joking it was the drum of cable in the corner, live and 30 amps!

It's to stop the scroats nicking it to weigh it in. They'll only try it the once.

:rolleyes:

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

time for your medicine again old chap

its 12v plain and simple nothing more nothing less the cable would melt before it hurt and the strobe touch the supply - er isolated by the transformer in the external box

speakers not good - corrupts data

the induced high voltage on 12 volt line from the strobe circuit can actually burn you, it feels like a wasp sting than a jolt, so wonder if it is actuall;y microwaving you fingers :'(

the strobe has to be active and you need to touch the wires as it won't 'arc' to you, not that i'd recommend anyone try it out for themselves.

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
the induced high voltage on 12 volt line from the strobe circuit can actually burn you, it feels like a wasp sting than a jolt, so wonder if it is actuall;y microwaving you fingers :'(

the strobe has to be active and you need to touch the wires as it won't 'arc' to you, not that i'd recommend anyone try it out for themselves.

regs

alan

only part on an active strobe thats remotly dangermouse is the metal " band" that encircles it - ie behind the bellbox cover - and then you need to be up around the 500v dc mark to feel anything you implied that the cables feeding the sounders were " hot "

now phone cables are a different bag of fish - ac ring volts whilst stripping them with your teeth anyone ?

a friend of mine put a home highway lead into mouth when trying to pass it through a hole in a shelf...

tiongue went numb for ages i'm told

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

so has nobody ever got a burn of an SAB when the strobe was flashing, i must have been really unluky to have had several of them :cold2:

regs

alan

Guest anguscanplay
so has nobody ever got a burn of an SAB when the strobe was flashing, i must have been really unluky to have had several of them :cold2:

regs

alan

off the strobe sure , off the cable - ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived