Security Installer Community

Mains Free Security Systems?

Hi - I own a mobile home on a park in France. Yesterday I was told it had been broken into during the winter close-down period. The home is less than a year old and seemed very secure. I would like to install an alarm system if no other reason than it would scare the **** out of potential thieves and make them look elsewhere. The company who own the park disconnect the electricity supply (I am led to believe) during the winter months in order to prevent people staying there during the close season.

Is there a good battery operated system I could buy that isn't reliant on mains in any way. Do the Yale systems such as those featured on Screwfix meet this requirement?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Hi - I own a mobile home on a park in France. Yesterday I was told it had been broken into during the winter close-down period. The home is less than a year old and seemed very secure. I would like to install an alarm system if no other reason than it would scare the **** out of potential thieves and make them look elsewhere. The company who own the park disconnect the electricity supply (I am led to believe) during the winter months in order to prevent people staying there during the close season.

Is there a good battery operated system I could buy that isn't reliant on mains in any way. Do the Yale systems such as those featured on Screwfix meet this requirement?

I have noticed something called the RAM 2000 in a lot of caravans, don't know much more about it than that.

I did a Google on it before and turned something up, just leaving work now, or I would have a look for you.

Try just searching for that.

We also do a 12V Smoke system that you could rig up in a caravan.

cheers,

M

Matt Gilmartin, Sales Director

T: +44(01205) 821111 | F: +44(01205) 820316

info@smoke-screen.co.uk | www.smoke-screen.co.uk

Head office:

1-2 North End, Swineshead, Boston, Lincs PE20 3LR

Registered in the UK no. 2728491

one problem you may have, is even with a very good battery. its life is limited.

what about just for now trying the art of deception. put a dummy box on, making them stop and think, and a little sign in the window saying 'cctv in operation', 'alarm linked directly to the police'

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

If you are going to be leaving it for months at a time a battery system with a panel will go flat IMO, a dumb system with switches, a pir and a transistorised timer relay switching a bell whould last a long time on battery if you select a PIR with a very low quiescent current drain. Somebody may already make one but do check the current drain against the battery size.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

There are systems that will give you the life expectancy you require, these however are designed for lengthy use on battery only (without recharging) IDM 3 is one I think and also do a google for keenelectronics who supply the likes of Avondale etc. Ensure you stipulate the length of time 'off charge' you require.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

one problem you may have, is even with a very good battery. its life is limited.

what about just for now trying the art of deception. put a dummy box on, making them stop and think, and a little sign in the window saying 'cctv in operation', 'alarm linked directly to the police'

But the frenchies wont be able to understand it

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I think it is Logista.....??? - the public face of Daitem I believe......... not sure if the names are spot on but I think they are French.

Mate of mine has installed two - house in france and england.

Everything is battery powered including the control panel and lasts about 5 years.

He's had his in for three years now and not had a problem....

Guest Peter James

All alarms are 12vdc but you are as everyone else has pointed out you are limitted to the size of your battery and how often you can change/charge it

Pete

most large caravan shops sell alarms designed for touring caravans which are parked on fields over winter. you could also try boat chandlers as they offer similar systems for can you guess it? - boats.

they use door contacts and trembler's (which require no current) for detection, scope paging if i remember correctly also did one.

as for battery life modern systems designed for buildings as has been said will not last, but i could dust off a few designers based on simple cmos technology if you handy with a soldering iron.

try these for starters

http://uk.geocities.com/ronj_1217/mini.html

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks everyone = keep the suggestions coming. Solar power would be great because where right on the Med and the place has around 320 days of sunshine per year - so if anyone knows of anything solar powered. It is a fixed mobile home as opposed to a caravan that can be towed.

The Hoyle Exit guard looks interesting as well - is it easy to fit by someone like me (i.e a normal DIY sort of bloke)?

We've got a bit of battle on with the site owners (Siblu) and we as a group of owners have suggezted a wireless system, but they're just not interested. All we get is the corporate //.B.W.F.// of "having security intersts at heart, striving to improve security etc) and yet anyone can go onto the site during the close season more or less unchallenged. Whatever solution I go for will be advised to a large number of other UK, and possibly French owners so it could be a good ad for a reliable system especially one that operates on Solar/battery power.

Ensure if you go the solar panel way that it is regulated as the cheapies are not and will boil the battery dry, also make sure as a rule of thumb that the panel will supply more than the alarm takes in quiescent mode.

Here's one I made earlier.

post-1124-1171218683_thumb.jpg

post-1124-1171218744_thumb.jpg

post-1124-1171218755_thumb.jpg

post-1124-1171218784_thumb.jpg

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Ensure if you go the solar panel way that it is regulated as the cheapies are not and will boil the battery dry, also make sure as a rule of thumb that the panel will supply more than the alarm takes in quiescent mode.

Here's one I made earlier.

Wow, very impressive!

This is one that I've spotted

http://www.easylife.com/catalog/product_in...;products_id=66

If anyone knows what tis is like then any info will be gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, alarms system cannot be linked directly to the police in France (but they can be to monitoring stations), so avoid saying that as it is not very realistic :)

As for the solar system... hmm... isn't it like putting the battery and the main supply of the siren directly accessible to the bad guys ? See what I mean ? :/

Thieves may think "oh he has something to protect" and prepare their attack :/

Archived