Security Installer Community

Lone Working

DAVE IN KENT

For those of you who are the boss/manager of your companies i would like to ask, if you were sending an engineer out to a job that was on an isolated site with no permanant members of staff and the potential risk of chlorine gas and phosphuric acid would you allow for two men on that site. are there any legal requirement that my employer should be adhering to? For your information staff employed by the owner of the site are required to work in pairs but as a subcontractor my employer do not seem to take any notice of this and my wife is concerned about my safety

NSI GOLD

BASED IN KENT

INTRUDER,ACCESS CONTROL,CCTV,FIRE

well depnds on the risk assesment but must say if the site think they need 2 guys then i think your employer should explain why they think not. I would advise either a system in place to check you are ok, or 2 people. I personally think your wife has a point mate....(but dont tell her she'll ony worry lol)

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

For those of you who are the boss/manager of your companies i would like to ask, if you were sending an engineer out to a job that was on an isolated site with no permanant members of staff and the potential risk of chlorine gas and phosphuric acid would you allow for two men on that site. are there any legal requirement that my employer should be adhering to? For your information staff employed by the owner of the site are required to work in pairs but as a subcontractor my employer do not seem to take any notice of this and my wife is concerned about my safety

health and safety take prcendance here. if you are not happy with working there , say so, and your employer will have to take measures to ensure your safety

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

id discuss with your employer rather than a refuse. I always think its better to ask why and understand than to go 'im not doing that'. I think if you highlight your concerns your employer should take them seriously. I know we would. but i wouldnt be so happy if someone just said im not doing it without discussing first. Might just be me though but it gets my back up

i agree with cb though i think h&s should take precedence and im sure they will too

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I don't know if you have an equivalent of a U.S. orginization called OSHA. It stands for Occupational Safety and Health Administration. They could surely help. Use this site to poke around and see if you can find something base a question on. www.osha.gov

Exactly, if you dont feel safe, dont work simple as that, if the site insists on 2 men for every job then whats the difference between them and you.

We do a risk assessment on everything we do and anything we feel would be unsafe we have the option to not do

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

an isolated site with no permanant members of staff and the potential risk of chlorine gas and phosphuric acid would you allow for two men on that site.

As an employee i'll do nothing that im not happy about doing. I consider it my right to refuse doing anything I consider to be potentially risky or harmfull to my health.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

id discuss with your employer rather than a refuse. I always think its better to ask why and understand than to go 'im not doing that'. I think if you highlight your concerns your employer should take them seriously. I know we would. but i wouldnt be so happy if someone just said im not doing it without discussing first. Might just be me though but it gets my back up

i agree with cb though i think h&s should take precedence and im sure they will too

jeez, james agrreing with me again, ill be a mod soon :whistle:

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

I always thought that am Employer had a duty of care towards its Employees??....I think your best bet is to call the A.A.E.U(engineering union...think they are based in crawley??)..I know besure does'nt recognise the union but the guys at the A.A.E.U are very helpful and they will put you in touch with someone who can answer your question,

But i am with Service Engineer if you feel it's unsafe you do not do it...I mean would you drive your company van with known dodgey brakes???????????????????????

i dont think you would have much of an arguement on the gas side as long as you have got a gas detector, i expect the rooms you are working in have got their own gas detection systems(probably on signalling via telemetry).

the company you work for has got a policy that you are not aloud to be left on any job alone, you are not even aloud to work in a residentual property without the customer being present.

Trade Intruder

Dave, are you perchance working in a southern water plant? Europlex system?

I was under the impression that the owner of a premisses were still responsible if they allowed a contractor to work on it in a way which was dangerous to there employees--they cannot dismiss there responsibility by saying it is the responsibility of the contractor !!!!

Paul.

the people that run the site he is talking about are very good with health and safety , they wouldnt let you work anywhere that was unsafe.

So it must be ok to work alone then?but why are there own people made to work in pairs as i think was mentioned--surely if there risk assessment made this necessary it should apply to contractors as well ?.

the only site i have known them to stipulate that it has to be 2 engineers was only at night and it was nothing to do with safety at the actual site it was to do with the people that hang around the site(major gay pick up area)

Trade Intruder

health and safety take prcendance here. if you are not happy with working there , say so, and your employer will have to take measures to ensure your safety

If you are not happy then dont do it, contact your local HSE and they will tell you if it is okay for 'lone working' (its only a phone call and they might even know the site). But from what you have explained its a 'no no'. We are sub contractors and are often told there is no 'lone working' on jobs that we have priced, I think it is common sense if no one is around regardless of chemicals then you should not work on your own if you have an accident then its down to you.

Keep safe

Kev

my ladders are broken at the minute and i wont use them, told my manager and he is getting me new ones. that was 3 months ago. still dont use them though.

some employer flount the law to make a profit and you should be aware that YOU are the one that gets injured, not the boss who is sat at his desk drinking tea.

he will still be able to pay for his bills if you decided to take a risk and die from doing something you feel to be unsafe

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

southern water are excellent with health and safety, if anything they take it a bit to far, but better that than being pit in danger.

if you went into an area that you needed a gas detector without one then it would be your fault if you had been injured.

Trade Intruder

Archived