Security Installer Community

From The U.k. To The U.s.a. What Panels Do You Use?

RussS

I LIKE this site! - But let me know what you guys like to use. Here we've got mainly Ademco, GE, Napco and some DSC. I'm really interested to find out about voltage requirements, that kind of thing.

On this side of the pond we in the alarm industry are generally low voltage guys. Seperate from the high voltage guys 120v and up.

I would really like to learn more about the U.K. alarm industry. Although I've been in this business for about 30 years, reading your site is like a whole new experience. I feel like a kid in a candy store. So, please, feed me!!!!! - Russ

I LIKE this site! - But let me know what you guys like to use. Here we've got mainly Ademco, GE, Napco and some DSC. I'm really interested to find out about voltage requirements, that kind of thing.

most US stuff has made it here in the past 4140 /4170's , detection systems, the napco controls look like a rebranded electronic lines one (isreal) DSC (BLAME Canada)

but most of us stayed with scantronic :whistle:

On this side of the pond we in the alarm industry are generally low voltage guys. Seperate from the high voltage guys 120v and up.

I would really like to learn more about the U.K. alarm industry. Although I've been in this business for about 30 years, reading your site is like a whole new experience. I feel like a kid in a candy store. So, please, feed me!!!!! - Russ

I see you have had some replies from the security guys, As for us fire alarm guys 24v dc is the voltages we work with and as for manufacturers there are quite a few Morley/IAS, Kentec, Kidde, Gent, Notifier, C/Tec, Rafiki, Menvier and Minerva to name a few.

Same as the security guys we have to contend not only British Standards but European Standards as well. - Pete

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

Thanks to all of you that responded! It seems like the regs are the big issues. Even here we have different regs every time you cross the street. thanks again guys!

My Brother is an engineer in Sacramento Calif when he comes home he finds it hard to understand all the reg's especially the Police connected alarms, I believe over there all alarms are security gurad response and not Police.

We do have difficulty with his wife a californian when we use expressions like have you got a rubber (erasure) and we live in a homely house NICE HERE A DUMP THERE finally the phrase to bring the house down is 'do you fancy a fag' !!

You use more wire free systems which give alot more facilities there but not so here unless we use class 6 type which are expensive.

My Brother is an engineer in Sacramento Calif when he comes home he finds it hard to understand all the reg's especially the Police connected alarms, I believe over there all alarms are security gurad response and not Police.

We do have difficulty with his wife a californian when we use expressions like have you got a rubber (erasure) and we live in a homely house NICE HERE A DUMP THERE finally the phrase to bring the house down is 'do you fancy a fag' !!

You use more wire free systems which give alot more facilities there but not so here unless we use class 6 type which are expensive.

Wireless has become more and more popular. But, not to an ol' tooth like me. I still think that pulling copper has rf beat any day. And you are right many of the major cities police department don't respond to alarms. It is left up security companies. We are still going through alarm verification proceedures with many departments. Ie: is the premis to be phoned or not?...That kind of thing. But every city and sovreign suburb has their own ordinances. A new one here locally, is for residential, it's two free false alarms per year with increasing fines up to $1000 and alarm school. But as far as having trouble with Californians? - The whole country has trouble with them...(just kidding)... Lest we forget they elected the Terminator for Governor... Anyway, I must admit I worked with a "mate" for about a year and a half. Great guy, a little scary in the attic though, and injury prone. But a great knowledge and sense of humor. Last name Cooke, I believe. Married a V.P. of Marketing for one of the big three phone companies out here. He tought me some the expressions, a few of my favs were ... "Throwing a wobbly" and "knackered" and .... (oh ****! I don't recall it now!) .. But yes, I smoke. And on the way to do so now. See ya - Russ

Archived