Security Installer Community

Odd Sounds

I have an odd problem with my alarm. The house I have moved into has an Optima Compact panel and stanard bell box - T A D B connections. The sounder is making a 'chirping' noise, about every 1-2 seconds, if the panel is set or not. If the alarm is activated, the sounder rings and when the alarm is reset, the sounder stops along with the clicking/chirping noise. a couple of minutes or hours later it will start again... I do not have the installation manual, but checking all the voltages etc. appear to be fine, I have not load tested the battery in the sounder, but again it has high voltage. System is probably about 7 years old. Any ideas? :hmm::help:

If your talking about the external alarm RJB is correct.

If your talking about internal beeps in the house then I would agree with AG.

I must admit I read your post to be the external sounder, and if I were you Id get up and dissconect it now before it starts waking the street up at silly oclock in the morning.

Regular servicing by someone who knows what theyre doing would of prevented this problem.

Pete

The old tunstall es1s used to chirp every second or so.....dont remeber when they stopped making them...the chirp was a warning/warm up.....warning/A warm up for a fully fledge belt of noise that could only be stopped in one way....disconnect the bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me it sounds like a classic case of the battery failing in a CQR bell ... I would change the bell to be on the safe side.

We occasionaly get the same symtoms with our CQR Protecta bells if we don't fit the 1K monitoring resistor. As this is an existing system this is unlikely to be the problem, unless it has been chirping for years :lol:

cheers

Dave

Archived