Security Installer Community

Focus Meters- Worth It?

BestGear

Hi Guys

I was looking to buy a focus meter and am wondering if they are any good.

Given how they work I am sure they will be, and they should work better than a test monitor....

What's your opinion?!?!

DJ

I was wondering the same our lcd colour test monitor is the pits for focus so end up lugging an old 6" battery tv with video inputs around not the best but you can watch tv on tea breaks

Hi Guys

Given how they work I am sure they will be, and they should work better than a test monitor....

What's your opinion?!?!

DJ

Electronic Focus Tools are a good investment although in my opinion they don't replace the field test monitor. The monitor does so much more such as field of view and also if the camera is in colour or not! With most decent cameras having a menu built in the test monitor is irreplaceable IMO.

cheers

Dave

Electronic Focus Tools are a good investment although in my opinion they don't replace the field test monitor. The monitor does so much more such as field of view and also if the camera is in colour or not! With most decent cameras having a menu built in the test monitor is irreplaceable IMO.

cheers

Dave

I agree with Dave, a good quality test screen is a far better investment than a electronic focus tool. I recently replaced my 6.5" LCD test screen with a computar test screen. Main reason was that on bright days you could see bugger all image on the LCD. Although the computar screen is expensive its way ahead of the LCD ones available.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

i got a Focus meter from LJD, daft thing about it is you need an 'still' view, so a moving tree or people moving it's of no use, but on still scenes pretty nifty kit.

agreed, monitors are generally better, but the LCD ones not so hot for fine focus, so i still have my old computar mono box camera brown 'satchel' unit for fine setup. non i've used are much cop in bright sun, so wondered if any techy's could a hook a composit video source to an SPV 1000 via blue toothe as this screen can be seen in very strong sunlight.

i just had a thought, i have a T-Mobile MDA with wifi (wm5 smart phone), so anyone got a suggestion for a wifi video link that will give full screen direct in? there must be something out their in IP based cctv perhaps using 'ad-hoc', i'm of to route about a bit.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys,

i got a Focus meter from LJD, daft thing about it is you need an 'still' view, so a moving tree or people moving it's of no use, but on still scenes pretty nifty kit.

agreed, monitors are generally better, but the LCD ones not so hot for fine focus, so i still have my old computar mono box camera brown 'satchel' unit for fine setup. non i've used are much cop in bright sun, so wondered if any techy's could a hook a composit video source to an SPV 1000 via blue toothe as this screen can be seen in very strong sunlight.

i just had a thought, i have a T-Mobile MDA with wifi (wm5 smart phone), so anyone got a suggestion for a wifi video link that will give full screen direct in? there must be something out their in IP based cctv perhaps using 'ad-hoc', i'm of to route about a bit.

regs

alan

Thanks for the reply Alan - I did look at the LJD meter but thought it a gamble for

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a focus meter and sinc meter I am thinking of selling as I only do IP cameras now.

Would be happy to take offers, they are both about 18 months old, clean condition, handy bit of kit...pays for its self in time and or helpers wages.

dont often get chance to come on line so pls email me if you are interested

the units cost

• 2 months later...
Hi Guys

What's your opinion?!?!

DJ

I have a similar question but slightly different,

with these focus meters will the degree of focus be tight enough so when a C/BW camera drops to BW at a low lux level will the camera still be in focus?

I use a test monitor but have been caught out by the focus being slightly out and so the camera at night is out of focus?

(note to self go and buy some welding lens) :)

RichardP

Lens filter kit or cheap option welding glass as said, if the lens is the electronic shutter type then sometimes they do appear slightly out at night noticed on the vista's anyway..... really no loving the focus meters, so stick with the tried and tested guys works everytime.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Archived