Security Installer Community

Spiders.....

sparkydom

Hi

Happy new year to you all. a bit late i know!

Just wondered what pir is prefered by you all for installs prone to false alarms from spiders. (domestic installs where spiders have been found crawling over pir lens. admittedly old response pir fitted previously!)

Also, how do you all rate the texecom prestige range of pir's. have bought a few quads and a dt to try but not had the time yet

cheers

Dom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

Just wondered what pir is prefered by you all for installs prone to false alarms from spiders. (domestic installs where spiders have been found crawling over pir lens. admittedly old response pir fitted previously!)

Also, how do you all rate the texecom prestige range of pir's. have bought a few quads and a dt to try but not had the time yet

cheers

Dom

I like the Optex RX40 passives myself, they never seem to false alarm. Have you tried giving your detectors a quick blast with some insect repellant to keep the spiders away?

Don't mind the Prestige DT's so far...never used the PIR's though.

Trade Member

Hi, Happy new year.

Honeywell DT-725D/P dual tec's excellent. slightly bigger than average and quite pricey but well worth it.

i-wise dual tec's are cheaper and smaller, also a great unit, built in jumper/resistors too.

Went to a call out once for a pir false alarm. Opened unit while standing on steps and pulled the guts out. The biggest spider in the history of everything, including the movies, jumped at me. I subsequently screamed like a big girl and fell off my steps. Thanks mister installer for you use of sealer. Point was the gap was tiny, barely 2mm around the entry. Amazing how they get in to them.

Hi

thanks for the replies so far

Have not had problem of spiders/insects getting into the pir itself yet, this is purely down to spiders crawling over the exterior of the pir and causing a f/a

Am going to have to try these prestige soon. Have used the honeywell (intellisense) dt's before, like you say a very good detector. very solid.

Many thanks

Dom

Went to a call out once for a pir false alarm. Opened unit while standing on steps and pulled the guts out. The biggest spider in the history of everything, including the movies, jumped at me. I subsequently screamed like a big girl and fell off my steps. Thanks mister installer for you use of sealer. Point was the gap was tiny, barely 2mm around the entry. Amazing how they get in to them.

lol you big girls blouse :rolleyes:

often the mummy spider sets up in the gap behind the detector where it is dark, then a thousand or so young hatch which are far smaller crawl inside the detector to get away from mum as they know she likes to eat them. the clue is you only find one or twk spiders as they then eat each other being there is no other food source, and they can't get out.

thats how the big mfk you find gets inside - and be warned its very very hungry by now so run for your life!

it's sort of how to they get that ship in a bottle qustion, easy when you know how - but how do they do that? :unsure:

regs

alan.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

What by putting loads of little ships in there and one little ship eats all the other little ships and turns into a big ship?

Youve been reading to much jackonory arfur.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Crow Genius, 2 pyros, 2 lenses, both have to detect to activate.

But if its a big hairy whopper it'll still activate.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Optex RX40, have fitted these for over 5 years never changed one, the lens is curved so the spiders fall off the lens! I think

Either way never had one false alarm.

Texecom PIR's are rubbish looking, the R&D dept must have spent all of 5 seconds on the design. Horrible looking :unsure:

What by putting loads of little ships in there and one little ship eats all the other little ships and turns into a big ship?

Youve been reading to much jackonory arfur.

rofl

Adi, you are awful, but i like you ;):wub:

it's that Ovaltine in my rusty old tin can again

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi

cheers

Dom

Don't which PIR to use but one sure way of getting rid of spiders are moth balls mounted on top or around PIR...they don't like the smell...mind you i don't either :whistle:

Bit of blue tack over cable entry, no more spiders.

cheers

no more spiders inside the pir...i am talking about getting rid of the buggers altogether....although it would stop the yeah must have been a spider crawling over the front of the pir excuse for a false alarm

How did cats pee come into it?????????????? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies,

Think I'll have a look at the optex and the prestige QD. Either that or find an old women who smells of cat P**s and mothballs!!

If shes that old prehaps its not cats p**s she smells of...prehaps its her own

Happy hunting anyway :cold2:

Archived