Security Installer Community

Ram Install

Mister_Dave

Today dabd.com sent me 1GB of 333mhz ram. Once its installed the computer refuses to start unless i put the old ram back in. Is it possible its faulty or do i have to change settings in bios as it says there is only 256mb installed when it is actually 1280mb. Any pointers will be appreciated .

cheers fellas

Dave Oxendale

York based security systems engineer.

Some motherboards won't boot up if they have different sizes of memory sticks in them or will boot but only show part of the 2nd stick as it's only expecting it to be the same size or smaller than the 1st stick, had that happen to me, I put the 1gb stick in the 1st slot and your old ram in the 2nd,

check the setting as maybe it's set a specific clock speed - ram is picky sometimes but faster ram should run at a slower clock speed if that makes sense.

Another thing to check is if the ram is correctly clipped in right, it's a pain to clip in sometimes as Im sure manufacturer's all expect the mobo to kitted out with Processor, Heatsink, fan & memory then slapped into a case and the rest of the system connected to it.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

some mobos, dont like 1gd dimms. I assume you have matched the freq? with the ram in can you still get into the bios? you need to ensure your mobo supports 1 gig dims.. I would have thought i did unless its a pchips board or oldish, any newish p4 or athlon board should take it. You will need to remove the old as above as they are not pairs. Should work but again depends on chipset

Make sure the board supports PC2700 ram. Try Restting the BIOS, and Take the older ram out, make sure the board isnt manually set up for Matched mode "Dual Channel" although i doubt it would have if your single one still ran, make sure also your in DIMM0 or DIM A0 or A

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Mobo is gigabyte , Processor is intel celeron d 2.9ghz. If i boot up with just the 1GB in the fan makes a funny fade in/out noise then the board starts bleeping like mad. i dunno what to do with it TBH. Bios on this machine is very very minimal where config settings are concerned.

Dave Oxendale

York based security systems engineer.

Today dabd.com sent me 1GB of 333mhz ram. Once its installed the computer refuses to start unless i put the old ram back in. Is it possible its faulty or do i have to change settings in bios as it says there is only 256mb installed when it is actually 1280mb. Any pointers will be appreciated .

cheers fellas

Put the original memory back in and get your system checked online by the Crucial System Scanner. www.crucial.com/uk and "Check My System".

This will tell you what your PC has in it and what memory is compatible.

I usually buy my memory from them anyway, but if I don't I still use their tools to check the system.

Then run the check again with the new memory in.

If i boot up with just the 1GB in the fan makes a funny fade in/out noise then the board starts bleeping like mad.

That means no memory! See my other comments re checking the system.

Mobo is gigabyte , Processor is intel celeron d 2.9ghz. If i boot up with just the 1GB in the fan makes a funny fade in/out noise then the board starts bleeping like mad. i dunno what to do with it TBH. Bios on this machine is very very minimal where config settings are concerned.

Is it 3 beeps or 4 beeps then a pause, whats the Model of the Board, ie GA-8XXXXXX

Dean constant bleeps. Ran the mem scan THIS IS WHAT CAME UP

mobo model no ga-8simlnf

What memory is it, it isnt parity and buffered is it ?

Does it have 4 slots (ie 2 lots of 2 banks) if it has 4 slots, than its 512mb per slot max as maximum sys ram is 2gig

1 set 2 banks Link 2 mem here

ran crucial again and it didnt detect the new ram.

Kingston is good ram, have you checked your M/B manual to see if it will take 1G Dimms, failing that if you feel confident flash the boards BIOS, (At your own risk) See if this does it.

I never got a manwell with the mobo, and i dont know how to flash bios so i think im stuck really. Best bet would be to just send it back methinks.

If your PC is a Packard Bell you should go to their web site and enter your serial number to find out what memory options you have. Quote from the site:

You want to increase the RAM on your Packard Bell PC.

Simply use our online configurator!

3 easy-to-follow steps to find and buy the memory module that is best suited to your PC :

Identify your Packard Bell PC by means of its serial number. You can choose to identify your PC automatically or manually !

Select the memory module you need according to the capacity required, price etc. It is guaranteed 100% compatible and risk-free!

Buy the memory module(s) you have chosen from our store using the 100% secure payment system. The modules are delivered quickly and direct to your home.

You should be able to see if what you have bought is or isn't compatible. Note that DABS don't like returns very much, unless the item is faulty, which it probably isn't - sounds more like you bought the wrong thing. :whistle:

It's worse than you think - there are multiple variants of that board, with major differences. Best to go to the Packard Bell web site and let it tell you what will work.

Trust Packard Bell to make it difficult to find RAM that works. I did checkout the PB Memory Upgrade tool. I did not have a serial number to give them but I did checkout the RAM they have listed if you don't have a serial number but the modules I looked at did not have a lot about the spec of the modules. It may be different if you have a serial number to give them.

djrock

Well that's so typical of many manufacturer's they make you have to go look on thier websites which can often be confusing, believe me Dell's is really annoying sometimes when your hunting for stuff..

Multiple varients of the same kit just to make more money - typical, that's why I build me own.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

Archived