Security Installer Community

Low Adsl Sync Speeds

WatchdogSecurity

Guys

After signing up to 24mb ADSL broadband, i finally got connected and im only syncing at about 8 megs, i was told i would get at least 12, now being in the IT trade as well as the security, i had a little play around with the cable etc.

ADSL 2 is very sesitive to line noise, and the less you can get the better, so banged my router straight into the test socket, wooo hooo 16967KBPS sync instead of 8000 ish, more than double, so i begin to disconnect everything bit by bit, and still only get 8k now i ripped out the cable to the loft (where the router lives) and then reconnected the router to the test socket, 17k, so with nothing on the line except the extention via 2 pair BT cable, i dicides to rewire in cat 6, hoping that this will shake off most of the noise, as it does run up trunking to the loft near enough next to mains cables etc.

After doing this i connect my wired ADSL filter back up and my alarm and patch panel and get 8.5k a little better but nothing as good as 17k, so work backwards again wondering what in hell can be doing this, so i remove the ring wire (terminal3) as the dsl filters have a capacitor in them anyway and generate there only ring signal, and woohoo 17k again.

So the moral of this little story is remove the wretched ring wire from any extentions, and try your broadband again to see if you get a larger sync.

The Ring wire must have been acting as a Pickup for more noise dropping the Line dbs to 25 instead of the 36 BT informed me i had....

Just a little tip for ya, let me know your findings (if anyone tries it out)

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Yup that is well known amongst our guys that removing the 3 wire will improve broadband, it does just act like a great big aerial for garbage, i agree 99% of phones these days dont need it anyway so that is a fiddle we will try if the broadband is not syncing up at all, after fitting a ADSL frontplate on the master which filters out the broadband to the master only, only useful if your master socket is the one used for the computer!

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

The cable will be unbalanced with ring tip applied. All plug in adsl filters have a 1uf capacitor across A and B leg or 2 and 5 thus loosing the bell wire will rebalance the cable and still make the telephone ring. Caution required though, the more filters on a line will increase the gain on the cable. This will include master sockets!!

Again those devices that use switched mode power supplies like the transformer for routers, PC, LV down lighters can create a lot of noise on the RF band of DSL services, causing many problems with speeds and sync with the DSLAM this can allso affect others in the street!!!

Spot the engineer with broadband skills and the one without :whistle:

Mark Hawks

Spot the engineer with broadband skills and the one without :whistle:

Maybe you could offer him a days training with you :P

Free lunch will keep him happy lol

For those that don't have any idea about telecoms,. what is the bell wire?

I did get a bit excited at the thought of getting a faster connection, then realised im on cable.

For those that don't have any idea about telecoms,. what is the bell wire?

Its the wire that older phones need to make their bell ring, the capacitor in the master sockets is used to send the ringing voltage down the 3 wire. Nowadays 99% of phones have a capacitor built into them so the bell wire is not necessary meaning only 2 and 5 wires are needed. With broadband the bell wire has unfortunately had the negative effect of becoming a handy aerial for rf garbage to cause problems

Mark Hawks

Ah gotchya, is the voltage quite high?

I remember as a kid taking the front off of a master socket as someone had glued the phone plug into it, the phone rang with me holding the the board with the capacitor and I remember getting a bit of a nasty shock :fear:

Would it be wise to not attempt this if you dont really know what you are doing?

Ah gotchya, is the voltage quite high?

I remember as a kid taking the front off of a master socket as someone had glued the phone plug into it, the phone rang with me holding the the board with the capacitor and I remember getting a bit of a nasty shock :fear:

Would it be wise to not attempt this if you dont really know what you are doing?

Round about 48v DC i think, would give you a jolt if ya body resistance is right at the time, not as good as a 240VAC jolt, but DC has a better way of saying dont touch me again!! IMO

To prevent the voltage drop is why its high. Just carefully pull the orange /white striped (if wired following standards) wire from the the IDC connection 3 on the NTE5 faceplate.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

95v ac when its ringing so you would get a nice belt, our dacs units run at 120v so always entertaining touching one's arm against the bar pair in the exchange with dacs on it.

Before anyone asks dacs is the unit that makes 2 lines out of one, but doesnt work on broadband, bt are trying to get rid but think thatll probably happen when hell freezes over :fear:

Mark Hawks

Ner workstacks too high to mess about licking stuff! Ill stick to slicing my hand on blooming dropwire strengthing wires :fear:

Mark Hawks

Lectrician those speed tester are not acurate. due to other people using the servers. Try these links if you realy whant a good report. Agian not 100% accurate but alto better than others.

You will have to re-configure your router/modem

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm

Just follow the instructions

Ner workstacks too high to mess about licking stuff! Ill stick to slicing my hand on blooming dropwire strengthing wires :fear:

LOL like little needles, Could never be a junky

Hmm I'll try that one when I get the chance to, I'll remove the 3 pin from the back of the master socket - I really should get a ADSL master spliter fitted as well it's nice and handily in the attic so I'll see if I get any boost although I doubt it, given I've only got a piddling lil 2mbit connection and hmm I doubt I'd get very much faster given my location, mind you I think the speed upgrade to 8mb is free so I might just give it a try....

I ain't got cable and can't get it either, just hope the upgrade doesn't go oh here's a nice download CAP on ya..

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

• 2 months later...
So the moral of this little story is remove the wretched ring wire from any extentions, and try your broadband again to see if you get a larger sync.

Excellent advice.

Been investigating (today, as the IT man) with the structured cabling company, a new house where the broadband was truly awful - less than 1Mb when over 3Mb was promised by BT and frequent disconnections too. :ranting:

Cutting out the ring wire was the critical step, them moving the router back to the master socket and putting LAN cable from there to the PC upstairs. Currently at 2.8Mb. :rolleyes:

Archived