Security Installer Community

Alarm Recommendation For Parent's Setup

Guest FrankGrimes

Guest FrankGrimes

Hi,

Have been a lurker here in the past and found some posts which were very useful for points to raise with my mate who was fitting the alarm in my house for me

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank,

Reading your other post you say that you have a HKC panel installed. If you are happy with it i would suggest that you get one of these for your folks. I have one myself and it does the job nicely. Hkc have a GSM unit that will be out Jan 07 but it's expensive.

If you want a panel with a mixture of wired and wireless have a look at the Europlex Signet. A GSM unit for this will also be available in Jan 07.

I would recommend that you go for perimeter protection ( shocks and contacts) with a few pirs for backup

Jim

First of all, my background is Access control, not Intruder.

However, our company is Dublin based so we are subject to the various rules and regulations.

The most important of which is (so i'm led to believe) all security installs in the Republic of Ireland MUST now be carried out by a registered installer. This is not a trade ruling, it is the Law and is policed as such.

No longer is it allowed for 'my mate next door' to fit the system, it must be a registered ompany. Obviously, this will have a potential impact on any insurance claim, if made.

www.psa.gov.ie gives further information. This is not just for door supervisors, it is all forms of security.

Andrew

It is an offence under section 37 of the Private Security Services Act 2004 for persons to operate without a Private Security Services Licence after a critical date to be decided by the Private Security Authority. The critical date for Intruder Alarm Contractors will be 1st August, 2006.

Quoted from elewhere.

really, well done ireland, look forward to comments on this one....not

Oh, it gets better James, for the privilige of just doing your job, having the temerity to own a company ec you have to pay! This is done on a sliding scale, bigger pays more.

They have full time inspectors with statutory powers and even have a section on the PSA web site to reports the evil miscreants who may be installing without a licence.

So, anyone having an unmarked bell box is now asking for a 'knock on the door' from the stazi/inspectors.

I suppose it may just be a way of eliminating the cowboys and the prats who did the install at the school you posted up earlier,,,but whether it works i suppose only time will tell.

Andrew

Guest FrankGrimes

It's fairly oppressive legislation alright in that it not only makes it illegal to fit alarms for customers without a license, it is also illegal to pay someone to fit an alarm for you if they do not have a license. I'm sure that's aimed at removing the incentive for customer to offer cash, but it's not realistic for the customer to validate the fitter's license - they could show a fake license, or, more likely, the customer just won't know to ask. I get what they are trying to achieve, but that's a step too far in my book.

That said, I'm almost certain a home owner is free to install an alarm themselves, or with help from friends etc. - a home owner can do whatever they want to their own property, and if they're not paying for anyone's services, they are not covered by this legislation which outlaws the act of paying an unlicensed person to fit an alarm. Of course a self-fit alarm would not be covered for insurance discounts, but for me alarm related home insurance discounts are a very poor deal in that the benefit verus risk trade-off is terrible (e.g. a tiny saving versus a potential rejected claim if you forget to turn it on).

But back on topic - the FM Electronics setup sounds like a good setup. Will try figure out the cost and see if there is similar offered by any companies in Ireland. nice one.

i agree with the idea. Alwys have. Its the way we are going here. My ..not statement was that im not looking forward to the comments about it from others as i will be shot down in flames again

Don't think you should be....i am with you....good idea...it will get rid of the cowboy element :rolleyes:

Archived