Security Installer Community

Broadband Providers And Static Ip Address

markthespark

Hi guys,

I'm currently with wanadoo (orange broadband I think they're called this week!) and am looking about for the best deals on broadband. I'm currently paying

BT will supply a fixed IP but you have to get business broadband, I believe its

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Why would you need a fixed address, the handshake and passwords will sort out the identity of the dial in.

You would want a fixed IP as the passwords are o good if you've nothing t direct them at. Bit like having a customers name and panel info but no address on the jobsheet.

Look at DDNS services, much cheaper.

And remember kids, cheapest isn't best. I'd rather pay more for a service that's reliable than 10% less for one that works 50% of the time.

Im with Orange formally Wanadoo formally FreeserveBroadband as well, i use dyndns.org to provide me with a fixed name on my dyanmic IP, I have a program I run any time I think my IP has changed to login to my account and update the ip for me, saves me having to login to dyndns.org all the time and do it from there. If your modem supports it and I do know a few that support dyndns you could enter all the details you need like username / password and the "domain name" you choosen and every time the modem reconnects / gets given a new IP it should automatically update so instead of typing say 81.54.1.41 you'd type say markthespark.dyndns.org works for pretty much everything webserver, ftp, It does support Mail MX's as well I believe so you can even have a mail server running behind your router, you just need to forward the ports in you r router so that it knows where to put things and your all done.

Like people have said BT do it but only on Business Broadband and it is an optional extra monthly charge of

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

... but it must be a working technology otherwise they wouldn't have implemented it......

:roflmao:

...got to trust the experts some times!

:roflmao:

...single email, dynamic IP ...

that is NOT a business connection. if they tell you so - ask them to give a ring to coldshire.

they can not be worse than usual CS ISP - can they???

All i can suggest is you find yourself a good isp and use them for all your connections, ie all your cctv, your homes and the office, then you will get the deal you want and (in my case) 8 static ip's per connection, but always have an uncapped connection

adsl classic (the 2 meg) is nearly as good as the max system. I find the classic to be more stable and all im really interested in upstream, 2 meg is fine for downstream

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived