Security Installer Community

Legal Aspects Of Cctv

Guest xquest

I have had a couple of double-glazed lounge windows shattered by airgun pellets. What are the legal restrictions in setting up a concealed camera to record people on the pavement (about 15 ft. from the windows) ? Am I allowed to cover the pavement, the road and the far pavement ? If not, what other action could I take? The police advise that it is most likely a one-off and I won't be considering action unless it happens again. Any advice anyone ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi xquest and welcome!

If you are installing the camera in your home, then under Section 36 of the Data Protection Act, you are exempt from compliance (any residential cameras are not required to comply with the Act).

As such, you can cover the area you require, you do not need to provide any warning signs, and anyone 'caught on camera' does not have a statutory right of access to the recorded images.

Whilst Time and Date imprint would not be mandatory in this situation, it would be highly desirable if you were intending to provide any recordings for possible evidential use.

Just as a thought, were the holes created by the airgun pellets clean enough that you could look through both panes to see where the shot had originated from? That might help you to decide what type of camera / lens combination would be most appropriate to your needs.

D.J.

Many thanks for the useful info and suggestions. The Crime Prevention Officer suggested I cut down the front hedges (from 6' to about 3') in the hope that a more open aspect is off-putting. There were probably two guns used - there was only one loud crack as both windows went. Only one outer pane has a neat hole, the other is just cracked, which is what would be expected if they fired from the pavement in the gap between the hedges on either side of the drive-one is at 90 degrees to the window, the other more at an angle. As my police sergeant son-in-law said 'don't react too quickly as it might be seen as daring them to have another go'. So a bit of hedge cutting and tree lopping - already planned for next year anyway, and if necessary a camera recording onto my PC subject to the advice in the publications. Thanks again folks.

As my police sergeant son-in-law said 'don't react too quickly as it might be seen as daring them to have another go'.

Like jameswilson, I'd also not necessarily agree with that advice :no:

You can react as quickly as you like, as long as you are not seen to react.

If you install a hidden (covert) camera, you won't be daring them to have another go, as they won't see the camera.

If, or should I say when you replace the broken glass, that can be all the encouragement needed for the 'perps' to have another go, and provided you have your hidden camera in place, then you should be able to record the suspects, if they're stupid enough to attack again.

Depending on whether there is a history of local problems, or if you think that you are being deliberately targetted, you have to remember that apart from Xmas rapidly approaching (lots of drinking!), the darkest winter nights are still ahead for the next couple of months, so you have to consider the level of risk, and whether you can afford the possibility of a further attack, without having taken any appropriate precautions.

• 1 month later...
Information Commisioner

Click on the above link for the info you require

Wow, things there are really different than here. Here pretty much everything considered "Public Domain" or, "No Reasonable Expectation of Privacy" is fair game for CCTV. If you could place a cam from your window to see the street that's okay. No restrooms, bedrooms, etc. Where exists the "reasonable expectation of privacy."

Wow, things there are really different than here. Here pretty much everything considered "Public Domain" or, "No Reasonable Expectation of Privacy" is fair game for CCTV. If you could place a cam from your window to see the street that's okay. No restrooms, bedrooms, etc. Where exists the "reasonable expectation of privacy."

I have got cameras on my house with fixed focus lenses that look at the lane outside my house, it also looks (Indirectly) at the lounge windows of my neighbour. It only records movement in the lane not at my neighbours windows. If anyone complained I would simply point out that I can see more by looking through my window with a MK.1 eyeball then can be seen with a cheap camera.

I think if I ever got taken to court for having these cameras up that would stand up as defence, now having a dome with a big zoom at high level would be hard to explain! :whistle:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I have got cameras on my house with fixed focus lenses that look at the lane outside my house, it also looks (Indirectly) at the lounge windows of my neighbour. It only records movement in the lane not at my neighbours windows. If anyone complained I would simply point out that I can see more by looking through my window with a MK.1 eyeball then can be seen with a cheap camera.

I think if I ever got taken to court for having these cameras up that would stand up as defence, now having a dome with a big zoom at high level would be hard to explain! :whistle:

I hate to be a party pooper luggsey, but from what you've described, if the neighbour made a formal complaint to the police, they would probably have grounds to investigate under existing 'Harassment' legislation; if they requested you to stop monitoring (albeit passively) your neighbours property and you refused, I somehow doubt that your defence argument would actually be considered reasonable in a court of law.

The type of equipment being used is not as relevant, as the effect it has on the neighbour. So for example, you could fit an authentic looking dummy, and it's mere presence could have exactly the same effect on the 'peaceful enjoyment of their property', as it would if you fitted a

I hate to be a party pooper luggsey, but from what you've described, if the neighbour made a formal complaint to the police, they would probably have grounds to investigate under existing 'Harassment' legislation; if they requested you to stop monitoring (albeit passively) your neighbours property and you refused, I somehow doubt that your defence argument would actually be considered reasonable in a court of law.

The type of equipment being used is not as relevant, as the effect it has on the neighbour. So for example, you could fit an authentic looking dummy, and it's mere presence could have exactly the same effect on the 'peaceful enjoyment of their property', as it would if you fitted a

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

I havent looked at any case law to support my statement but I think you missed the point I was making. If "my" camera system was examined by an expert they would find no recording of movement in my neighbours windows which are looked at indirectly (45 degree angle about 10m away) and indeed it is not possible to see "any" detail day or night. Simply having a camera pointing in the direction of a neighbours house as a result of looking at part of your own property in my opinion would not result in a harassment conviction in any court. I do not want to be proved wrong of course!

Another similar situation is a camera fitted on top of a local high building in the middle of my town. It could look at any window within a one mile radius (massive zoom lens) any resident within a mile could have that removed if your point were to be correct. The law about being able to ask for the recordings is a bit of an ass as I heard that the request takes longer then the retention span of the recordings here! The same would go for any dome camera.......

I know areas can be masked but with big zoom systems this cannot work. Interesting stuff.

i think you have missed the point, your camera is capable of viewing inside yor neighbours window. Ptz cameras require dpa registration, the operators require training and licence. If they were ever to impose on an individuals private area they would be out of a job and possibly face imprisonment.

i think you have missed the point, your camera is capable of viewing inside yor neighbours window. Ptz cameras require dpa registration, the operators require training and licence. If they were ever to impose on an individuals private area they would be out of a job and possibly face imprisonment.

No I said you cannot see any detail in my neighbours window, just the shape of the window, as could be confirmed "if" it was looked at as part of a complaint. (The point is if my neighbour "did" complain there would be no grounds for upholding the complaint in my opinion, I would only be proved wrong in court)

As pointed out earlier you can fit a Dome /PT at home without having to comply with those regulations.

I'm glad you said "if" because that's the point, "If" I or anybody else "looked" into private householders windows with the intention of seeing what they could not reasonabley see at a casual glance that would be an offence, If you work up ladders long enough you end up seeing something you should not by accident at least onec in your lifetime! (with or without a camera!) my point was that just because a camera "looks" as if it can do this or a Dome/PT "could be" used for this that does not make it an offence for the camera to be there. Not until it was proved.......... How many of these regulations stand up to the scrutiny of criminal court where facts must be proved beyond reasonable doubt I wonder? Good debate this.

My Amateur Radio Forum

No I said you cannot see any detail in my neighbours window, just the shape of the window, as could be confirmed "if" it was looked at as part of a complaint. (The point is if my neighbour "did" complain there would be no grounds for upholding the complaint in my opinion, I would only be proved wrong in court)

As pointed out earlier you can fit a Dome /PT at home without having to comply with those regulations.

I'm glad you said "if" because that's the point, "If" I or anybody else "looked" into private householders windows with the intention of seeing what they could not reasonabley see at a casual glance that would be an offence, If you work up ladders long enough you end up seeing something you should not by accident at least onec in your lifetime! (with or without a camera!) my point was that just because a camera "looks" as if it can do this or a Dome/PT "could be" used for this that does not make it an offence for the camera to be there. Not until it was proved.......... How many of these regulations stand up to the scrutiny of criminal court where facts must be proved beyond reasonable doubt I wonder? Good debate this.

Just to clarify luggsey, the point I'm making (and indeed I think Rich too), is that with any domestic CCTV set up (which is of course exempt from the DPA), it isn't necessarily about whether someone's camera can see into their neighbours property or not, it's about whether the neighbour feels threatend by the mere presence of the camera.

Now if you think this is a hypothetical situation, I could invite you to discuss it with the dozens of private homeowners who have written to me about their NFH's antics. The latest one received yesterday concerns a property with about seven cameras on it, most of which are viewing neighbouring properties, and don't appear to have much to do with the safety and security of the individuals residence.

We'll have to agree to differ, simply because the abuse of an individual by a NFH using CCTV to intimidate their neighbour victim, is now becoming very commonplace, and until such time as any specific legislation is introduced to address that situation, it is undoubtedly likely to get much worse. The police can invoke the harassment legislation if they believe that a camera has been installed for a potentially anti social purpose or in itself has an anti social effect (whether intentional or not), and the owner refuses to comply with a reasonable request to address the affected parties concerns.

Still in your case, as long as you are on good terms with your neighbour and they are not fussed about your camera, then that's all that matters. Unfortunately for many other homeowners, sadly that is a situation they can't even imagine.

Incidentally, on a slight tangeant, there was actually quite a high profile case last year where a CCTV Operator working for a local authority, received a custodial sentence for using a town centre camera, in a less than gentlemanly way.

Just to clarify luggsey, the point I'm making (and indeed I think Rich too), is that with any domestic CCTV set up (which is of course exempt from the DPA), it isn't necessarily about whether someone's camera can see into their neighbours property or not, it's about whether the neighbour feels threatend by the mere presence of the camera.

Now if you think this is a hypothetical situation, I could invite you to discuss it with the dozens of private homeowners who have written to me about their NFH's antics. The latest one received yesterday concerns a property with about seven cameras on it, most of which are viewing neighbouring properties, and don't appear to have much to do with the safety and security of the individuals residence.

We'll have to agree to differ, simply because the abuse of an individual by a NFH using CCTV to intimidate their neighbour victim, is now becoming very commonplace, and until such time as any specific legislation is introduced to address that situation, it is undoubtedly likely to get much worse. The police can invoke the harassment legislation if they believe that a camera has been installed for a potentially anti social purpose or in itself has an anti social effect (whether intentional or not), and the owner refuses to comply with a reasonable request to address the affected parties concerns.

Still in your case, as long as you are on good terms with your neighbour and they are not fussed about your camera, then that's all that matters. Unfortunately for many other homeowners, sadly that is a situation they can't even imagine.

Incidentally, on a slight tangeant, there was actually quite a high profile case last year where a CCTV Operator working for a local authority, received a custodial sentence for using a town centre camera, in a less than gentlemanly way.

I think we agree that if a camera is being used for it's intended purpose, ie. in this case to deter criminal activity, then if while looking at the householders own property it also overlooks a neighbours property that is not an offence under any regulation. As always it could be taken to court under a raft of different regulations which now swamp us if a neighbour thought any invasion of privacy was happening (and frankley these rules are making this country a laughing stock in Europe.) as I said to start with if someone looked at "my" setup it would be obvious it was not breaking the rules, as always it's down to interpratation of the rules as most things are now.

There is without doubt those that would put up a camera just to annoy a neighbour, if these were examined in detail following a complaint again it would be obvious what their intention was to fit such a camera. In that case I would support an order to remove/relocate the offending camera.

Such rules and regulations are not "black and white" as people suppose they are, they can be tested in court and case law would follow.

On the subject of "rogue" CCTV operators, I know of a case recently of a operator filming in detail an "service for cash" shall we say, this recording was seen by many outside the CCTV room, were they commiting an offence by recording/watching this act which took place in a tucked away location on somebody elses property.....

Also knew of a operator who used a customers dial up camera link to watch what he should not......poo hit the fan over that one.

My Amateur Radio Forum

• 1 month later...

As far as I'm aware, the DPA rules are the same throughout the U.K.

Easiest thing to do would be to contact the Office of the Information Commissioner, and they should be able to quickly confirm that for you.

If you do find that it is a devolved issue, please post back as that would be useful to know.

Can anyone answer this before I start trawling around:

Does anyone know if the domestic exemption from the DPA applies in Scotland or is that now a devolved issue?

Thanks

The DPA rules are the same in Scotland.

All domestics are exempt.

• 6 months later...
Hi xquest and welcome!

If you are installing the camera in your home, then under Section 36 of the Data Protection Act, you are exempt from compliance (any residential cameras are not required to comply with the Act).

As such, you can cover the area you require, you do not need to provide any warning signs, and anyone 'caught on camera' does not have a statutory right of access to the recorded images.

Whilst Time and Date imprint would not be mandatory in this situation, it would be highly desirable if you were intending to provide any recordings for possible evidential use.

Just as a thought, were the holes created by the airgun pellets clean enough that you could look through both panes to see where the shot had originated from? That might help you to decide what type of camera / lens combination would be most appropriate to your needs.

D.J.

i dont agree, will post back when i check. gimme 10.

i dont agree, will post back when i check. gimme 10.

OK, if it looks outwith the garden area, onto a path for example, it has to adhere to the DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998 and the HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998. five considerations are

1, REGISTRATION. it may have to be registered with the OFFICE OF THE INFORMATION COMMISSIONER

2. SIGNAGE

3. SYSTEM DESIGN

4. RECORDING

5. SECURITY OF DATA

i will elaborate on any point if required.

If it only looks at your private property, you should be OK, however, you still have postmen, milkmen, paperboys etc who might come to your door.

remember you have to supply images you have recorded if anyone asks for them. you also have to obscure anyone else in the video sequence at the same time. this requires a bit of editing.

HOWEVER!

Schemes which are "covert" by design

signage not required:

-if it would compromise objectives

-if a scheme is carried out for a limited time period

-if reasonable grounds exist to suspect specific criminal activity

-to secure successful prosecution

so as we cant agree i think you should call and find out. the only official answer you will get is from.....

the officer of the information commissioner. don't know the number but that's the best starting point

this is the way to go, i would speak to someone if you can. you dont want to get into trouble. you also dont want the very people who are giving you hassle learning there rights then asking you every day for a copy of the video of passing by the door. you can charge for this though so maybe not a problem

Archived