Security Installer Community

Biometric Time/attendance

I've just been out to quote for a job at a 24 hour manufacturing facility.

There currently having problems with night staff clocking each other in and out. I'm quoting to install camera's in the carpark, and facing the clocking in machines, but they've also asked about Biometric time & attendance systems to replace the current clocking in machines. I've installed a couple of systems before that have used proxy tags, or swipe cards for but never a Biometric one. From having a quick look on the net, I think the ideal solution would be hand geometry system, due to the staff working with oil and grease (dont think a finger print reader would be much use). Anyway, has anyone installed a hand geometry system before?, can you recommend any system to look at? cheers

I've just been out to quote for a job at a 24 hour manufacturing facility.

There currently having problems with night staff clocking each other in and out. I'm quoting to install camera's in the carpark, and facing the clocking in machines, but they've also asked about Biometric time & attendance systems to replace the current clocking in machines. I've installed a couple of systems before that have used proxy tags, or swipe cards for but never a Biometric one. From having a quick look on the net, I think the ideal solution would be hand geometry system, due to the staff working with oil and grease (dont think a finger print reader would be much use). Anyway, has anyone installed a hand geometry system before?, can you recommend any system to look at? cheers

We have sites across the UK using the handreader for both T&A and Access Control - often with antipassback (to ensure everyone plays by the rules).

You are quite right in suggesting the handreader against finger reader for 'harsh' environments. However, as you are already fitting cameras to monitor for 'buddy punching', it might be worth checking with the customer to see if a card based system is the more viable option.

1. They may be considering Access Control/already have it.

2. There is an administrative overhead with all biometric options - managing the templates.

3. Biometrics are not cheap.

Also, how does the customer intend using the system?? Self administration, linked direct to a T&A system etc

Hope this is of help

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I've just heard back from the client and there going ahead with the camera's at this stage.

They currently have a stand alone clocking in machine, and the data from the cards, entered manually into Sage Payroll. There interested in replacing this with a Biometric Time & attendance system that links directly into Sage payroll. They have a relatively simple shift structure (days & nights). From looking round on the net, I've found a few systems that meet the criteria, but like you say there not cheap. I'm starting the install of the camera's next week, so I'll put them a quote together for the Biometric system and see what happens.

Jeff

Hi Andrew,

I've just heard back from the client and there going ahead with the camera's at this stage.

They currently have a stand alone clocking in machine, and the data from the cards, entered manually into Sage Payroll. There interested in replacing this with a Biometric Time & attendance system that links directly into Sage payroll. They have a relatively simple shift structure (days & nights). From looking round on the net, I've found a few systems that meet the criteria, but like you say there not cheap. I'm starting the install of the camera's next week, so I'll put them a quote together for the Biometric system and see what happens.

Jeff

Jeff,try giving PAXTON a ring there management software includes T&A and they may also have a biometric package--there tech support is second to none /prices are very good and kit is very plug and play and they post on here as well,regards Paul.

Jeff,try giving PAXTON a ring there management software includes T&A and they may also have a biometric package--there tech support is second to none /prices are very good and kit is very plug and play and they post on here as well,regards Paul.

Ouch! i was trying to keep branding out of this thread.

The original post suggested - at least as i read it - that T&A was the main driver, with Biometric readers. This is NOT access Control. I'm not allowed to comment on the other product ranges, I'll leave that to Drew for his products.

I can say though that we too have T&A built in to our product including the new enhanced module, and yes, we too offer free training, but the original enquiry did suggest T&A was the key driver.

Other features/requirements also come into play here too...especially if management take disciplinary proceedings. Nowt like a stroppy shop steward to quote the rules and regs. EWTD, Visual verification on a display of time staff clocked in, Absenteeism etc.

And it is amazing how biometric readers suddenly become 'unreliable' when staff decide they don't like the new regime.

Regards

Andrew

Archived