Security Installer Community

Minerva Panel With Unusual Cable

Stewbow

Hi

I have just been to attend to a fire alarm system that hasn't been operational for 2 or 3 years, since the present occupiers took over. On inspection, the mains fuse was removed and the batteries disconnected.

The make of the panel in Manerva.

There are 12 Thorn smoke detectors.

Inside the panel there are 2 4core and 1 2 core micc cables taped up, not connected.

Also there are 2 other cables that are flexible, they look like they have a black outer sheeth, with an inner heavy layer of metal screening, with 2 conductors.

When I got up to have a look at the detectors, they were wired in this flexible cable.

(I haven't a clue where the pyros go)

Anybody had experience with this system, or this type of cable?

The owner doesn't want anything further to do with menvier, so we are looking at the possibility of swaping all the componants, while using the existing cableing, that was untill this unusual cable came to light.

It doesn't look like a fire proof cable, but maybe it is?????

Hi

I have just been to attend to a fire alarm system that hasn't been operational for 2 or 3 years, since the present occupiers took over. On inspection, the mains fuse was removed and the batteries disconnected.

Inside the panel there are 2 4core and 1 2 core micc cables taped up, not connected.

Also there are 2 other cables that are flexible, they look like they have a black outer sheeth, with an inner heavy layer of metal screening, with 2 conductors.

When I got up to have a look at the detectors, they were wired in this flexible cable.

The owner doesn't want anything further to do with menvier, so we are looking at the possibility of swaping all the componants, while using the existing cableing, that was untill this unusual cable came to light.

sounds alot like steel wire armoured cable used in electrical installations.. or some form of heavy duty screened cable... does sound strange indeed as fire alarm detection etc is usually wired in micc or fp200

if it is only a small site, you said 12 detectors? is it addressable or conventional? as there are a few different minerva panels, so as much info as you can provide someone will be able to advise you better

yes i definately agree, you need to speak to customer and inform them that the system does not comply with current british standards and needs completely ripping out and starting from scratch, that way also you know the system will be reliable and pass all the relevant tests required for the commssioning certificate

Hi

When that system was put in it complied with the then fire regs which meant that only the sounder circuits needed to be fire resistant and the detection zones could be wired in flex or twin cables. I have seen a few in my time and always recommended upgrade but wasn`t allowed as system passed at time of install. Overcome problem few months later as alterations were made to structure of building so customer had to have new system installed

Peter Robinson

Freelance

M:07889038650

I would definately recommend rewire.

The cable you describe is not fire rated and i have came across this before in a fire panel.

You will give yourself no end of problems if you try and re- use what's there.

Sounds to me like marine spec cable, which did get used occasionally in buildings in the past.

It's normally 2 core screened black flex, it's still (as I understand it) the correct spec for marine use on ships even though it is very un-fireproof! But then most ships systems used it for bells as well and even have unmonitored and spurred bell lines. Very different world.

Matt

Archived