Security Installer Community

Mcafee Internet Security

Security Technician

has anyone encountered a problem with mcafee internet security 2006 whereby if running on broadband it blocks email receipts being sent out from outlook, but my main issue is if i am away i use a 3g data card on 3 network and if using that it wont send emails at all, i have to use a webmail based service

any advice would be great

is windows firewall safe enough? or would you recomend anything else

It's OK in my opinion; depends on how paranoid and technical you are :P

Also, how are you connected to t'internet? If you have a router that also has a firewall then the XP one is fine - almost redundant.

If you're a non-IT person, provided your Windows Updates are kept current you have a low risk, even if you're using a USB-connected ADSL modem.

And make sure you're running Windows Defender or some other effective anti-spyware as well!

Yeah the problem with McAfee is it designed to stop mass mailing and stuff like that but it uses kinda dumb rules.. Im just running the AV side of this software (version 10) and I had to adjust a few settings to stop it an annoying pop-up when I was bouncing e-mail via Mail Washer Pro - Amazing Mcafee don't like that, Im betting that's what it is. I do hope you have the "preview pane" turned off in "Outlook" as with it on you can trigger some nasty scriptlets that hide, but avast / mcafee should pick them up, Im betting that's what's happening Mcafee is scanning in/outbound mail and with the result the connection to your smtp server is timing out, you can generally adjust this.. Since you've switched to avast no need to do this..

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

has anyone encountered a problem with mcafee internet security 2006 whereby if running on broadband it blocks email receipts being sent out from outlook, but my main issue is if i am away i use a 3g data card on 3 network and if using that it wont send emails at all, i have to use a webmail based service

any advice would be great

For what it's worth, I use to have ZoneAlarm Internet Security suite. Worked a treat both from home and whilst using WiFi and 3g on the road.

Then IT formatted laptop and installed Norton - then you find ink and quill with carrier pidgeon is a quicker mode of communication. Finally managed to disable the resource hog Norton, and no easy feat either. Now back with ZoneAlarm Sec Suite and all well again, no matter which connection i'm on.

Andrew

For what it's worth, I use to have ZoneAlarm Internet Security suite. Worked a treat both from home and whilst using WiFi and 3g on the road.

Then IT formatted laptop and installed Norton - then you find ink and quill with carrier pidgeon is a quicker mode of communication. Finally managed to disable the resource hog Norton, and no easy feat either. Now back with ZoneAlarm Sec Suite and all well again, no matter which connection i'm on.

Andrew

good old it :)

Archived