Security Installer Community

Old Panels And Detectors (80's And 90's Era)

Matt Ward

I read a post in this forum about 'Lander alarms' and M&W CPA6! (i think this was the first '9500' style control panel with a one lined LCD? - "do you want to"..pause..."set system?"). Then I thought, wow! would love to see some of the old kit we used to see back in the 80's and 90's!

Why? Well I suppose it was because it was part of my alarm history!

But not just the M&W panels, what about...

PIRs...

* Racal guardall 1012 (PIR) - ive still got 2 '1025' (25 metre version)

* Racal scorpio PIR - you can only open with a plastic key.

* Ademco 650 (wow that's old! and the 652 was the long range version! ...Large PIR, black plastic window at the top, and a red LED in the bottom corner . It had a big mirror with circuit board inside it, connected to a lower PCB).

* There was this aritech PIR described here... http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...?showtopic=7413

We installed loads of them, but they were so sensitive we had to install double-knock modules on them! (ahhh those were the days!)

* I know someone with a Racal 772 PIR "STILL WORKING"- remember them?

* Visonic "magic red" PIR, "super red". I saw a few Visionic "fox" PIRs while I was in portugal on holiday last week! I had a "lense library" catalogue somewhere! Problem with these old Visonic PIR's is that you couldn't put them too high - rubbish "look down" ability!

What about the ultrasonics & microwaves!

I still have a Racal Gemini somewhere in my garage (PIR/Ultrasonic, like a 1012, but the LED was moved down to make room for the ultrasonics).

PANELS...

(This shows my age, most of these are keyswitch panels!)

*Ademco Sunthorne panel (expandable 'zone cards' with red, yellow and green LEDs behind a smoked plastic panel! ...it didn't even have a bell timer!)

Wish I could remember the name of some of the kit we were servicing back in the 80's 90's!

If i remember, I'll post.

Meanwhile, I'm off to find some old stuff in my garage - i'll post some photos soon (I'll use a link to my ISP's webspace if I can figure it out).

Anyone interested in joining in?

Guest rjbsec

Bentley Symphony and F133

ADE Logic 4

ADE Gemini?

ADE Optima Plus

Castle Omega

Menvier TS300/600/5160

Pyronix little PIR's with no room for fingers and easy-lose pcb retaining screw!

Bentley Symphony and F133

ADE Logic 4

ADE Optima Plus

The Bentley Symphony had that "nice" alarm sound - cream coloured key switch panel with square red 'omit' buttons?

We installed loads of ADE Optima Plus panels, then had to start replacing them a few years later when the "lid mounted membrain buttons" snapped out!

I bought one of them when I was a trainee as I thought the panel was amazing! (one of the first affordable keypad systems as I remember!)

Guest rjbsec
The Bentley Symphony had that "nice" alarm sound - cream coloured key switch panel with square red 'omit' buttons?

Nope - Symphony was a keypad panel, very large metal case, sort of light salmon colour.

Also just remembered the Hillclare 1011 keyswitch panel.

i remeber the first alarm we had when i was a kid it was a key switch one like the one described above............with the red omit button........it didn't have set or unset on it - it had open / closed on it lol

Think it was fitted by lander alarms - many moons ago.......

........it didn't have set or unset on it - it had open / closed on it lol

not that long back alarms had 'Day' or 'Night' on them :rolleyes:

ok now for some old stuff from my memory lane -:

A.E.S. ultrasonics - replace rubber bands used to suspend ferrit transducers every 2 years - YES RUBBER BANDS

A.E.S. Microwaves - hmmmm!

Systron Donna - (Ultrasonices) i think that was how it was spelt, had conicle heads which trapped the dust, vibration caused the dudst to form into pellets which caused false alarms - chubbs fitted ship loads.

Voulrado Radar - did what it says on the tin, cover buildin from central location, and next door and the building across the road and rain down waterpipes :rolleyes:

Racal 771 infamouse for led working but alarm relay not,

Racal 772 just infamouse mainly for its poor tamper switch

Aritec 101 ultrasonic, it had a background noise indicator named BDI (work it out for your self). you could fit extension receivers or transmitters, made for real fun as it was so challenging working out where and what room caused a false alarm, as transducer plugs would become loose and intermittent.

Munord & White Ultrasonics - imo among the best there ever was (but really ugly).

MW Control Panel imo one of the worst panels that ever was, like the 5150? (not sure of the model number) keyswitch panel, row of lights behind red lenses on right hand side, pa zone was not controlled by the keyswitch so if a pab got pressed no over ride to switch it off, same for tampers :rolleyes: , (Edit - public forum)

the last one i mension here was classic by Chubbs, an attempt at closed circuit pressure pads, these were capacative foil plates altering the presuure change the capacitence, trouble was they could not self adjust, so after they were 'tuned' atmospherics would alter their properties and give false alarms.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

not that long back alarms had 'Day' or 'Night' on them :rolleyes:

ok now for some old stuff from my memory lane -:

A.E.S. ultrasonics - replace rubber bands used to suspend ferrit transducers every 2 years - YES RUBBER BANDS

A.E.S. Microwaves - hmmmm!

Systron Donna - (Ultrasonices) i think that was how it was spelt, had conicle heads which trapped the dust, vibration caused the dudst to form into pellets which caused false alarms - chubbs fitted ship loads.

Voulrado Radar - did what it says on the tin, cover buildin from central location, and next door and the building across the road and rain down waterpipes :rolleyes:

Racal 771 infamouse for led working but alarm relay not,

Racal 772 just infamouse mainly for its poor tamper switch

Aritec 101 ultrasonic, it had a background noise indicator named BDI (work it out for your self). you could fit extension receivers or transmitters, made for real fun as it was so challenging working out where and what room caused a false alarm, as transducer plugs would become loose and intermittent.

Munord & White Ultrasonics - imo among the best there ever was (but really ugly).

MW Control Panel imo one of the worst panels that ever was, like the 5150? (not sure of the model number) keyswitch panel, row of lights behind red lenses on right hand side, pa zone was not controlled by the keyswitch so if a pab got pressed no over ride to switch it off, same for tampers :rolleyes: , (edit)

the last one i mension here was classic by Chubbs, an attempt at closed circuit pressure pads, these were capacative foil plates altering the presuure change the capacitence, trouble was they could not self adjust, so after they were 'tuned' atmospherics would alter their properties and give false alarms.

regs

alan

i remeber the dyer tamper switches on 772!!!!

i also remeber the MW panels....i did like the engineer reset facilty...but to be honest worst panel ever has got to be an aplex....they are awful panels...and yes i understand them sort of??.... ;)

The foam in the old ultra sonics started to melt after about 15 years and made a sticky mess in the detector.

I have worked on all the old stuff in my years from the old dry cell stuff with end of line battery all cabled in twin a + and - loop on tha same cable to the modern galaxy G3.

i think im right here but the bell box had a car alarm type bell/siren in but no strobe, and if memory serves me correct it didnt have a batter either it was an old system that need replacing really.

logic 4 comes to mind, they dont make these now do they.

regards

colin :hmm:

possibly a diy or pj (private job), the logic 4 i seem to remember was the 1st panel that AD&E made, could be wrong though!

regs

alan

The one's i am talking about are about the same size but cream in colour same as an old bentley panel. With a foam behind the grill that melted after years and stuck all over your hands it you took the lid off.

i remeber the dyer tamper switches on 772!!!!

i also remeber the MW panels....i did like the engineer reset facilty...but to be honest worst panel ever has got to be an aplex....they are awful panels...and yes i understand them sort of??.... ;)

Am I right by saying the IR772 'tamper switch' was just a bit of metal that slotted over the main PCB (sideways) when the detector was closed?

Those damn Aplex panels, a RED Vaccum Flourescent Display (only one line) that kept repeating the open circuits while the panel was unset! It was a bit like the old calculators (cube type lettering on the VFD).

How about the scantronic 9100 (or the ATG6000 is what we used, but is the same as a 9100 but a slightly bigger and better looking case). If you connected a smoke detector, it would pulse the SAB - on the SAS units we used, this overloaded or spiked the PCB which sent the panel haywire and it would lock up! After this, the internal sounder output would become much lower (component failure).

A near-by storm? ...if you were on-call - guaranteed to get several scantronic 9100/atg6000 panels lockup!

Guest Alarm Guard

I am amazed that these are still available. Why??? Surely nobody actually fits them???

I fitted a few, but that was years ago... Whistle said they were made from 1989, but I think the ones I installed were earlier, around 1983-1985

Remember these ultrasonics?

http://groups.msn.com/UKSecurityPanels/ari...amp;PhotoID=455

We mainly fitted the slightly larger version of this (years ago that is!).

i remmember those, was the slightly larger version the Advisor 3?

Advisor had another multi-head version with a satin finish indicator plate to show movement and which head had triggered, little 3 way toggle switch reset - off - on. this allowed zillions of them on one zone, panels back then were a little restricted in zones available to say the least :rolleyes: 1st head to alarm showed as a steady 'on' LED at the head as well as the panlel, others tripped showed as 'blinks'. they were fairly good, but if used in a house the client had to shut doors on live rooms in part set or they would 'bleed' and movement in the bedroom or landing would trip the lounge.

:hmm: makes me wonder if that local indicator panel idea could ever 're-surface' to cater for the walk test led's being switched off for current regs. lets face it, not many keyholders/owners know how to walk test properly, i'd bet only a 10th of those who know how actually do it. even if fully instructed they don't take onboard the value and then forget how. this local indicator panel would simplify that operation at least.

regs

alan

Archived