Security Installer Community

Reponse Alarms

Guest Sh4rpie

Pretty scary :fear: ...

Even a system with an adequate protection can quickly be disabled if it's incorrectly fitted.

Even a correcly fitted one can be disabled.... There are only 7 or 8 (can't remember) dip switches to select the house code. So that's 128 or 256 combinations... Since the alarm has no hack-attempt timeout, I can just sit outside with a key fob and try all the combinations in about 2 minutes, and turn the alarm off..

So I didn't buy one.

Lots of people on this forum are slating these (solar) Response wireless alarms. I have been installing them for years now (as well as wired systems) and have NEVER had an actual problem with them.

A couple of settings have needed to be changed or removed, such as disabling the jamming detection and occasionally adjusting the tamper switch on the siren. but once this is done then no problems have occured since. (seriously not one comeback!)

I was wondering what stories you guys have on installing/using these systems, just to get a view of why people think theyre a bad alarm. (other than the fact they are supposed to be DIY and therefore not ideal for an engineer)

educate me

I have read all the comments and see a lot of 'protectionism' however if that's all a customer can afford so be it ! but they can fit them themselves.

We have taken alot out because of false alarms with no apparent reason's they were all fitted by the owners of the property themselves which made them feel secure at first, stopped using them because of continually having false alarms for various reasons, i.e locations of detecors, outside interference etc and all that noise!! then upsetting all the neighbours which THEN made them realise that they needed to improve the systems and pass off false alarm problems to somone who actually knows what they are doing, to get real security, in fact they are a stepping stone for customers to reach the real industry experts who have taken years to gain experience.

'Why are they not good' several reason's but one very important feature is the word 'RESPONSE' on the bell box, having spent 30 yrs talking to real burglars most of which were not that stupid, and sat in detention cells with nothing else to do other than talking about crime and how to beat security and why they 'GOT NICKED' most worked out easily the difference in 'Non response Police Systems like Response, Wicks, Yale etc etc the bell box Logo's tell you they are not and will not meet Police requirements'

Bit of a give away really!!

If you join the industry mate good luck but 'DO IT PROPERLY' use professional equipment and install to the standard's gained over several years of working knowledge by the industry.

Finally DO NOT FORGET THE NEW POWERS given to LOCAL COUNCILS to issue

:yes: i totally agree with all what has been said here

if the alrm looks like a cheap b+q type system then the protection is not there, but if the bell box has a company name on the front then intruders wouldnt really know what the system was. The new regulations mean that security alarms should and must give adaquate protection on the customers premises but the cheap ones DONT :cry: conform so therefore DONT give required protection on the property. my advice is if you dont know what to do or how to do a alarm system then get a pro in to help out it saves loads of agro in the end. Its the same for cctv systems if there are cheap micromark cameras used they wont give the protection that Pelco, Vcl, Dennard

DM and OTHER suppliers of kit will give.

this is my two pennines worth.

regs

colin#

:D

Further to my last comment, in my experience criminals select easy targets the reason is simple 'there is less to worry about' for them committing a crime is earning money they treat horse racing exactly the same they will normally back a favourite because there is less risk of losing, favourites advertise their previous form, and selecting a favourite is easy exactly the same as bell boxes, why select a target with an //.National Installer.// bell box it might be 'Red Care monitored' and believe me criminals know what Red Care is, however they also know YALE type will never be monitored and even if they have dialup cutting the line will have the desired effect.

I do not work for //.National Installer.// in fact I never will. but that is an example,

Ps In my experience screwfix dummy boxes were a joke in the criminal world.

Sorry to sound smug but 30yrs of my life was spent dealing with 'villans' and understanding 'Modus Operandi' then DEALING WITH IT !

I am pleased that people take prevention measures at least they try, and in my experience as they get older and richer they THEN have the 'pro's' in to do their alarms.

because they physically cannot do the servicing, or be bothered it is easier to "ring the alarm man"

The PRATS that I love are the one's that say:

"Ive got double glazing they wont get in" (Glass!!)

"We have a Dog they won't get in" I have dealt with cases where the dog was stolen!!

"We never leave the house" and they get done at night whilst asleep !!

Yes Response Alarms bring them on, never fear them eventually you will be called to replace.

Binthere

Archived