Security Installer Community

Oldest Panel

Guest chappo

• 1 month later...

A scantronic 9100 to replace an old modern74 panel fully loaded with all doors, windows and pressure pads. Being new to the job I Yanked the old panel off in seconds flat, cutting off all the old cabling.

Now left with a dozen "too short" multicores sticking out of the wall and no idea what they did or where they went. Lesson learnt.

• 1 year later...
On 12/07/2016 at 17:46, dufjax said:

OK I will admit I didn't install this

IMG_20150311_101607330.jpg

Probably one of the oldest I've seen..... If the mouse hadn't moved in it would probably still work.

The owner was up for us repairing and using it, however we thought it easier to install a Euro 46

I used to have one of those panels. It was 6 zone instead of 4 zone.

On 13/08/2006 at 13:57, Guest chappo said:

Hi to all,

I was recently called to an address which seemed familiar, when i got there i remembered that it was my first installation as an engineer. The alarm panel was a Metal ADE Logic 4 ( for the newer engineers, yes they used to make them from metal......)

To my surprise it was still going strong.. no problems at all, just needed the back up battery changing.

No matter how much i tried, the couple refused to upgrade, all this new fangled technology is not for them...

I just wondered what is the other installers first panels were???

Great forum love reading the topics ...

:hmm:

My first panel was a Selmar Burglar Alarm from 1975.

The bell box was hammered black and only had a synachrome bell inside.

The panel was hammered black and a circuit test button with a green incandescent lamp under the button.

Next to the button there's a key switch with a red lamp under it. Round the side of the control unit was a flick switch and next to it was a xenon lamp.

It was very simple only having two relays , mains and a micro switch.

• 4 weeks later...

Still see the original optimas just plodding on, de commissioned a logic 4 the other week was working fine until i tested a full set and waited for the entry time to expire finished my brew waiting and filled out the paperwork, got the panel change booked in and was still waiting :lol: first panel installed was a menvier TS510 still remember the entry timer tone and fire tones it made 

Agreed, I did try to adjust the timer pot on the logic 4 but to no avail to Be fair I think it was due retirement   Customer got An excellent service life out of it, keyswitch was damaged from use was just tired.

got an m series at home got to admit always liked my Menviers but to be fair was what I was taught on so would explain it the tones sounded like a really p****d off robot power cycling :lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I started as an apprentice with Chubb in 1976 just a few years after the take over and merger of Burgot and Rely-A-Bell. Many sites still had DC 24V signaling or gramophone record players dialing 999 and playing the message, police police police this is an automated alarm reporting from XXXX. If you fancy a laugh, I have written a series of books. Alarming Stories I, tales of an apprentice intruder alarm engineer covers the period 1976 - 1980 and can be read for free at the link below, purchased for Kobo or Kindle for £3.21 or as a paperback on Amazon - read it for free here https://www.onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk/alarming-stories.html

The second volume Alarming Stories II tales of a security engineer covers the period 1980 - 1986 and includes many photographs taken whilst I was commissioning the largest CCTV installation in Europe, the Network Southeast driver only operation CCTV system, cameras and monitors on every platform on the network. Volume 2 can be ordered on Kobo or Kindle for £3.21 or as a paperback. from Amazon.

• Upvote 1

When I have 

21 minutes ago, Philtheengineer said:

I started as an apprentice with Chubb in 1976 just a few years after the take over and merger of Burgot and Rely-A-Bell. Many sites still had DC 24V signaling or gramophone record players dialing 999 and playing the message, police police police this is an automated alarm reporting from XXXX. If you fancy a laugh, I have written a series of books. Alarming Stories I, tales of an apprentice intruder alarm engineer covers the period 1976 - 1980 and can be read for free at the link below, purchased for Kobo or Kindle for £3.21 or as a paperback on Amazon - read it for free here https://www.onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk/alarming-stories.html

The second volume Alarming Stories II tales of a security engineer covers the period 1980 - 1986 and includes many photographs taken whilst I was commissioning the largest CCTV installation in Europe, the Network Southeast driver only operation CCTV system, cameras and monitors on every platform on the network. Volume 2 can be ordered on Kobo or Kindle for £3.21 or as a paperback. from Amazon.

Did they do a film starring Robin Askwith ?

• Like 1

Mr? Veritas God

[quote]A series of short stories detailing the highs and lows of an apprentice in the late 1970’s The following tales give an understanding of early intruder alarm systems, which were surprisingly crude in their operation. It also provides an insight into many rude, funny, and sometimes downright dangerous situations I encountered during my formative teenage years. The published works of a famous Yorkshire vet published in 1970 and televised in 1978 had a lifelong influence on me. Driving through Yorkshire to service and repair security systems in all weathers and at all times of the day, I felt an affinity with him and often visited similar remote locations all over Yorkshire at all times and in all weathers. I have often mused if it would be possible to write a similar fact based story about my own unique experiences within the intruder alarm industry, a wholly different career to that of a vet, the access granted to me during my career has provided many amusing, dangerous, funny and even sexy situations not granted to most.[/quote]

Yorkshire, probably never met the "wickford wonder"...

Robin Askwith !

Mr? Veritas God