Security Installer Community

Oldest Panel

Guest chappo

I removed the installation from an old Collector Record shop when it closed down.

The building was earmarked for demolition- I had to remove to autodialler and basically de-commission the system.

The installation was in such good condition; the keyholder had kept it all clean, and the numerous engineers over the years had kept it in good order.

The only snag, was getting hold of the old R40 Flag cells; various Ham Radio sites and parts suppliers have them- but I'd need to sell my house, sell my kids and win the Lottery to afford to replace them.

So- after a subtle mod, it's now powered via a SLA battery / PSU, and is a closed loop (as opposed to having circuit batteries).

It does the job, makes a noise when it goes off, with or without mains power!

Will take my camera later and grab some snaps......

things like that are the best. it was running around derelict/in process of demplition buildings when i was a kid and salvaging various electrical bits that got me interested in this industry in the first place :)

the BBC studios in manchester was an alladins cave of goodies up for grabs! XD

I remember going into the old ATV / Central TV studios in Birmingham in the late 1990s to remove some dimmer racks a mate had brought.

That had an old AFA-Minerva "CT6" fire alarm panel, with extension panel- and 100s of old F35 and F50 smoke detectors knocking about everywhere.

When I was at Thorn - sometime during the 1990s, all Fire Alarm engineers cars were checked with a Gieger Counter- as those detectors contained a huge amount of Radioactive Material, and in quantity were even more dangerous.

Most of the detectors they had removed from various Rolls Royce sites during upgrades were sealed in silicone bags and despatched to be stuck underground in a concrete bunker at Sellafield.

The Fire Alarm guys could only cary so many at a time.

I'd be intresed to see if anyone on here has any photos of proper old installations?
Sadly- I never took any back then!

• 2 years later...

Bump.... R40 flag cell from CPC, had no idea they sold them.

http://cpc.farnell.com/univercell/db8014/battery-flag-alkaline-1-5v/dp/BT05682

My first DIY install was an Advantage A1 (tat)

My first takeover / service was a Scanny 9800

My first proper installation for an electrical firm was a Gardtec 816, with the old square (but seemed so ahead of it's time) LCD keypad...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

My parents old house still has my 'Casa' bell on, which I only put up a year before they moved, but bet you 100% the system is dissed, as it was a Scanny 816 in the house the the (old) 9800 fitted in the garage with 2 sheds on DTs

My first bell with 'my' name on is still up, forgot that, that was actually a gardtec 300 but I moved on to a firm after very few, then worked for MOD, and didn't install my own stuff again until early 2000s

https://goo.gl/maps/pzm1dttZzsq

No. 5, inbetween PRW at No. 4 and DIY tat. at No. 6, shite pic thou. Was called 'FSEC' then as well. Circa 1995/6.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I had to remove a panel the size of a small fridge, it was full of relays it was a long time ago when I was small and cannot remember what it was, I have an idea it was a AFA panel. Castle 1250, Bentley. Omega, Munford and White, Arun Elite, Racall Countess/Rascal, DA Ambassador or something or other. Been there got the tee shirt.