Security Installer Community

Oldest Panel

Guest chappo

Guest chappo

Hi to all,

I was recently called to an address which seemed familiar, when i got there i remembered that it was my first installation as an engineer. The alarm panel was a Metal ADE Logic 4 ( for the newer engineers, yes they used to make them from metal......)

To my surprise it was still going strong.. no problems at all, just needed the back up battery changing.

No matter how much i tried, the couple refused to upgrade, all this new fangled technology is not for them...

I just wondered what is the other installers first panels were???

Great forum love reading the topics ...

:hmm:

Guest chappo
I fitted my first panel in 1980.

Blue coloured, square, 1 zone panel from a company in Oldham. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer or the panel.

You could fit dry cell batteries, or cut a link if you were using rechargeables.

That first alarm had just contacts and pressure pads.

All seems very basic now, but was impressive stuff at the time.

Pressure pads --- oh those reliable mats, good for at least a dozen call outs a year...

Prob the oldest I can remember was the original keyswitch Logic 4, or the membraine Optima that always blew the output resistor - and you wouldn't know either until the house was burgled and the bell didnt go off, or its yearly RMV :rolleyes:

oldest panel i can remember fitting was a Vikor keyswitch type 2 zones and timed entry.Not bad for the time BLEW IT UP LINKING OUT THE +ve & -ve :whistle: honest guvner it was faulty out of the box!!!

Worked on the modern alarms traffic light panel it was PWP

oops does that go there

I fitted my first panel in 1980.

Blue coloured, square, 1 zone panel from a company in Oldham. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer or the panel.

You could fit dry cell batteries, or cut a link if you were using rechargeables.

That first alarm had just contacts and pressure pads.

All seems very basic now, but was impressive stuff at the time.

That'll be A&E security electronics, website Here

Regards

Bellman

Hillclare?

I thought they were white?

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

The first panel I ever installed was a metal cased Logic 4 that I bought for 50p off a car boot when I was 9 years old (I still think I got ripped off!). I put it in our shed and had it wired to a carbon Ever Ready 12v battery that I got from B&Q. I had a microswitch on the door and another on the roof incase anyone tried to lift it off. Master Bell outside...

I've serviced quite alot of old Logic 4, Genco and Bentley panels, all of which were still going strong long after the original contacts, pressure matts and Friedland bells had been changed out due to failure.

I've ripped a panel out that sounds like the one Alarm Guard is describing. 1 zone, Keyswitch on the top left or top right, blue hammerite casing with a black plastic control panel with white lettering on, and three LEDs in the middle. Had been fitted by AID alarms of Liverpool, I believe. Wish I'd have kept it now...

Edited by antinode

Trade Member

oldest panel i can remember fitting was a Vikor keyswitch type 2 zones and timed entry.Not bad for the time BLEW IT UP LINKING OUT THE +ve & -ve :whistle: honest guvner it was faulty out of the box!!!

Worked on the modern alarms traffic light panel it was PWP

Yep mate started my alarm life with moderns at ipswich, went straight into callout/service on the traffic light box/74/80/84 panels, it was frightning just to take the lid off incase the single core cable broke all over the place--then there was the fluted aluminium 80 box which shorted out if you wernt carefull putting the lid on---if you had to do a reset it was hunt the chocky block time????????.

Hi to all,

I was recently called to an address which seemed familiar, when i got there i remembered that it was my first installation as an engineer. The alarm panel was a Metal ADE Logic 4 ( for the newer engineers, yes they used to make them from metal......)

To my surprise it was still going strong.. no problems at all, just needed the back up battery changing.

No matter how much i tried, the couple refused to upgrade, all this new fangled technology is not for them...

I just wondered what is the other installers first panels were???

Great forum love reading the topics ...

:hmm:

the 1st panel we put in was a tunstall CPA6 in a school where we had the Electrical contract Quite a hard one to start on but made the next (A1 9000 ) easy

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

i think that if we all went back to our 1st 10 installs we would be amazed we are still at it now!!!. Plus you will remeber how proud of them you were. I remember my first install like it was yesterday and thought it was awesome. Now im technical manager i would make the engineer in question re do it lol

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I didnt have a first installation, i started out as a Service Engineer.

Old Granley Panels were the first i worked on, proper lamps in them no led's and eol transformers.

Same here, my first ever panel was a Menvier 690 - sorry guys I'm still a youngster!

However, the oldest panel I have come across was either a Bentley F113 or (I think anyway) and A&G Diplomat or Ambassador - something like that anyway.. Luckily the owner had the original manuals so I could work out what I was doing - he said he always had the manual handy when he was having a service because no one ever knew what the hell the panel was!!

My first install was a Veritas 8 in Jan 99, still got the installation sheet in my file somewhere. Luckily, things have got better. Although it was a pretty good install for a first one, PIR's looking away from windows, cables run in away from mains in their own holes, even had a seperate duct to the garage for the PIR and keypad in there. Best sparky installed alarm ever. ;)

I think the oldest alarm I've come across is a big beigey thing with a keyswitch and loads of contacts and inertias, fitted by BAR Alarms in Nottingham. IIRC it was working up until the house was gutted in 2000ish.

my first 'fitted' panel was a modern alarms '74' but first worked on was a modern alarms 'traffic light' panel - those were the days!! :no::rolleyes:

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

The first alarm i installed was a ADE 6 zone panel.

The oldest panel i have seen is a 17 year old A&G Diplomat which we still service as the customer will not replace it.

We have around 40 A&G panels still working. It was Scottish Power who used to fit them and did not fit them well tbh!!

!

hi guys,

my first panel was made an 'in house' breed by Gaurdal for Burgot Alarms, 2 zones 'feed & return' in metal case, and the lid door secured by a wardrobe lock and key.

it had a large rotary switch for 'Off - Test - On' and 2 toggle switches to isolate the zones for 'part set'. an upgrade was zone lights (now ain't that cutting edge stuff or what?)

best bit was they fitted a switch on the control lid door, no not as a tamper but for if the door was open it isolated the 999 trigger. the thinking was that if a fault existed and the client did not test before moving the rotary switch to 'ON' it prevented a false alarm - problem was if they left the lid door open by mistake the police never got called anyway :cry:

happy days

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

my first panel was made an 'in house' breed by Gaurdal for Burgot Alarms,

well, well you not as old as we was reckoning, I was betting, your first 'un was made from War dept surplus relay's in a metal box :P

my first panel was made an 'in house' breed by Gaurdal for Burgot Alarms,

well, well you not as old as we was reckoning, I was betting, your first 'un was made from War dept surplus relay's in a metal box :P

:P

the relays were the old post office tye, brown waxed paper and all :)

the panels i admire most were made from box wood and brass shim, actually on site by rely-a-bell installation engineers. an absolute work of art and an example of workmanship and precission not seen today even on the best panels. some of the early stuff i serviced had been in place faultlesly for 40 years.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Cerberus NI

First conventional panel I commissioned was a Kidde Firecheeta 6 zone,first gas was a Firecheeta 6+3 and first addressable was an android (AN1000??). Started off servicing loadsa Kidde Minitectors as well (LCP7 batteries!!)