Security Installer Community

Oldest Panel

Guest chappo

Guest chappo

Hi to all,

I was recently called to an address which seemed familiar, when i got there i remembered that it was my first installation as an engineer. The alarm panel was a Metal ADE Logic 4 ( for the newer engineers, yes they used to make them from metal......)

To my surprise it was still going strong.. no problems at all, just needed the back up battery changing.

No matter how much i tried, the couple refused to upgrade, all this new fangled technology is not for them...

I just wondered what is the other installers first panels were???

Great forum love reading the topics ...

:hmm:

Guest chappo
I fitted my first panel in 1980.

Blue coloured, square, 1 zone panel from a company in Oldham. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer or the panel.

You could fit dry cell batteries, or cut a link if you were using rechargeables.

That first alarm had just contacts and pressure pads.

All seems very basic now, but was impressive stuff at the time.

Pressure pads --- oh those reliable mats, good for at least a dozen call outs a year...

Prob the oldest I can remember was the original keyswitch Logic 4, or the membraine Optima that always blew the output resistor - and you wouldn't know either until the house was burgled and the bell didnt go off, or its yearly RMV :rolleyes:

oldest panel i can remember fitting was a Vikor keyswitch type 2 zones and timed entry.Not bad for the time BLEW IT UP LINKING OUT THE +ve & -ve :whistle: honest guvner it was faulty out of the box!!!

Worked on the modern alarms traffic light panel it was PWP

oops does that go there

I fitted my first panel in 1980.

Blue coloured, square, 1 zone panel from a company in Oldham. I can't remember the name of the manufacturer or the panel.

You could fit dry cell batteries, or cut a link if you were using rechargeables.

That first alarm had just contacts and pressure pads.

All seems very basic now, but was impressive stuff at the time.

That'll be A&E security electronics, website Here

Regards

Bellman

Hillclare?

I thought they were white?

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

The first panel I ever installed was a metal cased Logic 4 that I bought for 50p off a car boot when I was 9 years old (I still think I got ripped off!). I put it in our shed and had it wired to a carbon Ever Ready 12v battery that I got from B&Q. I had a microswitch on the door and another on the roof incase anyone tried to lift it off. Master Bell outside...

I've serviced quite alot of old Logic 4, Genco and Bentley panels, all of which were still going strong long after the original contacts, pressure matts and Friedland bells had been changed out due to failure.

I've ripped a panel out that sounds like the one Alarm Guard is describing. 1 zone, Keyswitch on the top left or top right, blue hammerite casing with a black plastic control panel with white lettering on, and three LEDs in the middle. Had been fitted by AID alarms of Liverpool, I believe. Wish I'd have kept it now...

Edited by antinode

Trade Member