Security Installer Community

Abacus Box

roger j

The alarm is working perfectly. The only problem is that the service engineer on his recent visit reported that he could not open the door and so could not test the battery.

If that is the case i would be most concerned and as advised previously you should talk to the owner of the firm or the service manager. It would be very odd that the box could not be opened and if this this is the case this could be the sympton of a more serious issue, you need to get this resolved quickly.

You did find on some of the abacus 8's if the pcb was not sitting 100% in the correct position the main pcb would catch on the metel lip of the rear of the panel making it very hard to open the lid.

I found after servicing 100's of them f you undo the screw and the lid will open about 5mm then it sticks you put your fingers in the gap pull the lid to the right hand side and it opens.

We had loads like that back at Alpha alarms.

Closing the lid was the same it would stick stopping it closing fully.

Yuo just pulled it to the right and push and it would close.

This is only on the abacus 8 with metal end station

The plasic one ( 8P ) will open every time

The 8p looks just like this

post-1613-1154816306.jpg

This is an abacus 8

post-1613-1154816276.jpg

Hmm

You say its an 8p but the screw is on the front? the 8p is polycarbinate and two screws are located underneath. The Abacus 8 is metal and has one screw on the front.

Pete

You are absolutely correct. I think that I may originally have been quoted for the 8P (and I did not know what the P meant) but I have the metal box with a single screw so it is the 8.

You did find on some of the abacus 8's if the pcb was not sitting 100% in the correct position the main pcb would catch on the metel lip of the rear of the panel making it very hard to open the lid.

I found after servicing 100's of them f you undo the screw and the lid will open about 5mm then it sticks you put your fingers in the gap pull the lid to the right hand side and it opens.

Many thanks. Yes it is the metal version, so is an Abacus 8 with a single screw on the front and was fitted in 1994.

Following your message, I have tried to open it with more vigour but without success. When the front panel is moved to the right, it catches at the top right; when the panel is moved to the left it catches at the centre right. I have not been able to establish a happy medium so it is still closed.

Interestingly, as far as I am aware, it has always opened and closed easily in the past. (I have tried it myself and been present during many of the annual service visits.)

Many thanks. Yes it is the metal version, so is an Abacus 8 with a single screw on the front and was fitted in 1994.

Following your message, I have tried to open it with more vigour but without success. When the front panel is moved to the right, it catches at the top right; when the panel is moved to the left it catches at the centre right. I have not been able to establish a happy medium so it is still closed.

Interestingly, as far as I am aware, it has always opened and closed easily in the past. (I have tried it myself and been present during many of the annual service visits.)

I really don't understand the problem with the engineer(?), I'm guessing but do you have a Digital Communicator connected to your system? If you have, that could be the problem, the DC is catching, so -

undo the screw, squeeze the fingers of your left hand between the lip of the lid and the main body of the box while at the same time pushing the side of the box in, jiggle it about and it will come open, another suggestion, get a real engineer, not a salesman.

If you're in Kent send me a PM and I'll sort it out (FoC), well a cup of tea anyway

John

PS >> DON'T FORGET THERE IS MAINS ELECTRICITY INSIDE THE BOX, SO TURN IT OFF FIRST.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Don't make me laugh, you can feel the differnce in quality just by pressing the crappy buttons.

:hmm: could be worse it could eurosec quality.........

I really don't understand the problem with the engineer(?), I'm guessing but do you have a Digital Communicator connected to your system? If you have, that could be the problem, the DC is catching, so -

If you're in Kent send me a PM and I'll sort it out (FoC), well a cup of tea anyway

PS >> DON'T FORGET THERE IS MAINS ELECTRICITY INSIDE THE BOX, SO TURN IT OFF FIRST.

No digital communicator, but something is definitely catching.

Thanks for your kind offer but unfortunately we are in West Yorkshire

• 1 year later...

I would of deffo gone for the plug on comms catching I found that a lot how many ccts are on the system you havent got any (WAIT FOR IT) splitters hiding in there have you.

Do you have say cct 1A and 1B for example.

Garry.

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

Archived