Security Installer Community

Digicom Alarm / Adsl Broadband Issues

Guest Nick E

Guest Nick E

Hi,

I have a remote signalling alarm installed in my house (Digicom type) and also ADSL broadband on the same phone line. The alarm does *not* have a microfilter between the alarm and the phone line.

However, the broadband keeps dropping out and for it to reconnect I need to disconnect all of the phones in the house from their sockets, plug an extension lead into the master socket in the lounge, plug the modem/router into the extension reel, count to 30 and then plug the modem into the wall socket in the study where the computer is and it re conencts OK, almost every time. I can then re plug in all of the other phones in the house into their sockets. I've tried other methods such as unplugging everything and then reconnecting the modem into the socket in the study but this doesn't work.

I had a continious period of connection for close on six months but the last three weeks or so it's been dropping out almost every day and I have to go through the above "ceremony" to regain a connection. All of the phones in the house have microfilters on them as does the modem. BT have tested the line (wthout coming to the premises) and say it's all OK.

The alarm engineer came the other day for annual maintenance and said that I would probably benefit from having a microfilter on the alarm as this may solve the problem but he could not be sure. He also stated that although the alarm was working OK today he has seen some cases where the alarm has not connected to the monitoring station because of ADSL and he recommended that I get a second line for the ADSL or for the alarm.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what the problem could be and would a microfilter on the alarm solve the problem?

Appears to be a bit steep to have a second line put in, surely other people must have encoutered this problem before?

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick.

The Digi should have an ADSL filter fitted, some digis (ie texecom) kill ADSL stone dead.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

The alarm needs a microfilter anyway, regardless of whether it's the cause of these problems or not, although I suspect it's definitely not helping the situation.

Might be worth having a look at the way your phones are wired as it could be duff connections in the extension wiring, damaged cable, duff\**** microfilters, anything really.

I'd fit a filter to the alarm anyway and see what that does. If the problem is still there then maybe get someone to look at the phone wiring (not the alarm company as they don't appear to be very well clued up on phone lines and ADSL).

Guest ALSEC
not the alarm company as they don't appear to be very well clued up on phone lines and ADSL).

QFA - ADSL has been around long enough now that all alarm engineers should know how to overcome this!!

Try the second from the left product - this may solve your problems..(take out all the other filters when this is fitted though)

Guest Nick E

Ah now I've been looking at these. This afternoon I've also taken the front plate off my master socket and plugged the modem via an extension reel into the socket that is behind the faceplace and bingo connects first time, so obviously a fault "my side".

I note that there were three pairs of wires on the face place, if I just place these three onto the faceplate splitter does this do the same job as having filters on all my other phones (including the alarm)???

Second problem is that the computer is not in the same room as the master socket. I presume that I could just run some sort of extension cable round to the computer room (approx 5 meters away)?

Pardon the ignorance but I'm not an expert at these things, I really appreciate the advice though chaps. Many thanks.

Nick.

The faceplate filter is one central filter that will filter all of the subscriber side wiring (by wiring, all sockets, alarms etc...). This means that you only have one unfiltered socket in the property, at the master socket location.

You have 2 options;

1, run an extension cable from the master socket to the computer for the ADSL modem\router.

2, use some of the spare pairs (if there are any) to run a seperate unfiltered feed from the back of the master socket to the ADSL modem\router.

By spare pairs, bear in mind you only need 3 wires for extension wiring so to run a filtered and unfiltered feed round your house you would need for a 3 pair cable to have been run from the master socket throught to the ADSL equipment.

Guest Nick E
I note that there were three pairs of wires on the face place, if I just place these three onto the faceplate splitter does this do the same job as having filters on all my other phones (including the alarm)???

Stuart, thanks for this advice, can you just clarify the point above though. Those three pairs of wires that are on the faceplate at the moment, if I take them off and put them into the new adapter faceplate it does the job of filtering all the extensions etc in the house? I can confirm that the alarm is run off an extension as opposed to from the main plate or even worse BT side of the plate!!

Thanks,

Nick.

Stuart, thanks for this advice, can you just clarify the point above though. Those three pairs of wires that are on the faceplate at the moment, if I take them off and put them into the new adapter faceplate it does the job of filtering all the extensions etc in the house?

Yes, that's exactly what it does.

Terminals 2, 3 and 5 are the only ones required for the phones to work though. Others are often connected for neatness.

Archived