Security Installer Community

Houseguard By Hi-tec

Guest Onzadog

Guest Onzadog

Hi,

My gran has an old system called "HOUSEGUARD" installed by a company in Stockport called Hi-Tec Security. has anyone heared of them? I'm looking at replacing the system in a house I'm moving to soon and it seems like good kit. It doesn't work on PIR's, just entry point contacts and impact/vibration sensors on windows. Means the alarm can be on all the time, even when we're in.

My concern is that I just can't get any information out of the company. if the customer service is bad before i give them two grand, what will it be like after? Am I just unlucky or do they have a reputation in the industry? Does anyone else make a similar system I could consider?

I don't know if it matters but I'm in Nottingham.

Thanks for your help.

My concern is that I just can't get any information out of the company.....before i give them two grand,

Exactly what is your buying??

I assume you've had more than one quote??

If you don't have a firm that is recommended to you, who

Guest Onzadog

I'd love to get more than one quote but it seems to be their own stuff they're fitting and I can't find anything similar on the market.

The quote was for:-

1 Euro meridian,

5 Sdu's

2 door contacts

1 industrial prox. sensor (for garage door)

1 tag reader

4 tags (2 included, two as extras)

1 live bell box, 1 dummy

1 days labour.

Hopefully, that will mean a bit more to you guys than it does to me. I'm happy to pay a good price for good kit but I don't want someone pulling my trousers down and playing on public paranoia!

I'd love to get more than one quote but it seems to be their own stuff they're fitting and I can't find anything similar on the market.

The quote was for:-

1 Euro meridian,

5 Sdu's

2 door contacts

1 industrial prox. sensor (for garage door)

1 tag reader

4 tags (2 included, two as extras)

1 live bell box, 1 dummy

1 days labour.

Hopefully, that will mean a bit more to you guys than it does to me. I'm happy to pay a good price for good kit but I don't want someone pulling my trousers down and playing on public paranoia!

2k for this, seems a bit steep, is it beeing monitored ? ie to a central station.... The panel is a Castle Care tech by the way, and is available to any installer.. All other stuff will also be available. My advice is get some quotes, probably better from a local firm as if theres a problem in future you wont be waiting for an engineer coming that distance.

Watchdog Security (Manchester)

Guest Onzadog

Thanks for that. I'd been lead to believe it was some magical wonder stuff that they'd come up with all on their own. if it's bog standard kit that any fitter in the know can get hold of, then that's great news.

The system isn't monitored by an outside company but does connect to our phone line and call our mobile if somethings's wrong!

Thanks.

Guest RICHL
I'd been lead to believe it was some magical wonder stuff that they'd come up with all on their own.

Thats the sort of guff you often get from a dodgy sales outfit. Do as Mr Happy suggested and get a couple of quotes from local approved installers. The requirements you have mentioned so far will be achievable by any approved installer.

Mate i know all about them.

A lot of cash for not very much.

And very pushy sales reps.

Are they the ones with the bright orange bell boxes?

We are Northwest based and would be happy to quote you.

:yes:

Trade Member

No, but I know who you're thinking of (O S S of Liverpool?)

It like Psychic challenge here, yes that is "card" i was thinking of......

With //.National Installer.// style logo, are they fitting white screw caps or is the sun bleaching them (caps) supper fast?

Guest Onzadog

It is an orange box, but not dayglo. Then agin, it's been up a good few years! Five vents on either side, does that narrow it down?

Funny, to the untrained eye, a box is a box but seems you guys can tell a lot from the simple details.

No sun bleached caps on this one though.

Old c type so is likely to be quite old

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Bellman?

My thoughts exactly :P :P

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

Just to add, if you have no movement sensors any where, if someone should gain entry i.e an upstairs window then they can move freely throughout your house as long as they want and only set off an alarm as they leave arms full of your valubles 30 secs down the road :rolleyes:

Just to add, if you have no movement sensors any where, if someone should gain entry i.e an upstairs window then they can move freely throughout your house as long as they want and only set off an alarm as they leave arms full of your valubles 30 secs down the road :rolleyes:

Exactly the reason i have never been in favour of perimiter protection on its own. It can be very useful in certain situations but i would never suggest a system based totally on permiter protection.

Ranger :P

Guest Onzadog

It's interesting to hear all these opinions. obviously the reason I'm here is so i can get the right system first time.

Our reasons for favouring the perimiter system is that the alarm is then on all the time, not just when we leave the house. With scum getting more and more brazen all the time, I'm probably more concerned about someone forcing entry while we're home. The other thing is, we have a dog who's home during the day and we like to give him a degree of freedom around the house.

I don't know what the possible solutions are to these points so I'm open minded to all suggestions and ideas.

Thanks guys.

It's interesting to hear all these opinions. obviously the reason I'm here is so i can get the right system first time.

Our reasons for favouring the perimiter system is that the alarm is then on all the time, not just when we leave the house. With scum getting more and more brazen all the time, I'm probably more concerned about someone forcing entry while we're home. The other thing is, we have a dog who's home during the day and we like to give him a degree of freedom around the house.

I don't know what the possible solutions are to these points so I'm open minded to all suggestions and ideas.

Thanks guys.

In my house i have 2 keypads one at final exite route, and 1 outside the bedroom on the landing , Also just fitted remote control setting) but the benefit of that is you can set your self into an area, you dont have to go with just a perimeter alarm, you could have different part sets for example:

Full set - Sets whole system when going out

Part Set 1 - (Dusk) Sets just the windows and doors and omits the passive sensors, so you can walk around.

Part Set 2 - (Dark) Sets all windows and doors and ground floor or area not needed to be accessed at night whilst in and around the bedroom, ie bathroom, hence the 2nd keypad so you dont have to walk through active zones to turn the alarm off.

It works really well, but you must remember to turn the alarm off, i install a passive on the staiars to remind us to turn it off, as the missus was setting it off by forgetting to turn it off via the upstairs keypad.

Possibilities are endless really, its all down to cost.

Edited by WatchdogSecurity

and down to what the customer can cope with. IME 85 year old ladies usually would not want a system with that complexity. I have been to many houses where the alarm was too difficult for the occupant an d so they never used it.

Agreed, but im talking about his situation...

A system doesnt have to JUST be perimeter protection or JUST internal detection, as mentioned... It can be both, and normally is.

You can have movement sensors around the home and vibration detectors on windows and contacts where needed. Then, as mentioned, you can set the system in parts, IE, you set the perimeter protection detectors when you home and the whole system when your out.

This, in my opinion is the best way and is what we fit as standard.

Ranger

• 12 years later...
On 19/06/2006 at 21:44, Guest Onzadog said:

It is an orange box, but not dayglo. Then agin, it's been up a good few years! Five vents on either side, does that narrow it down?

Funny, to the untrained eye, a box is a box but seems you guys can tell a lot from the simple details.

No sun bleached caps on this one though.

Its got a cream horn siren inside and a cover tamper, some of the later ones had a mylar cone speaker on the mounting bracket facing downwards.

• Downvote 1