Security Installer Community

Regalsafe Rs40 Factory Reset?

Guest brian gladman

I believe that RBJSEC's comment that the problem had been solved was entirely genuine on his part.

In contrast I think your remark is a snide comment intended as a direct insult to me.

But maybe I have misinterpreted your remark so I am going to give you an opportunity to clarify it before taking any further action.

Brian Gladman

I am totally lost as how that comment can be taken as a direct insult.

It was a tongue in cheek remark and a very true remark, this thread has not come to an end and nor will it. It will keep on going round and round in circles.

Ive not replied to your posts because your making a mountain out of a mole hill and generally twisting the truth.

Further action, what further action are you going to take.

I display my name and company name, so if you ever want to come and knock on my door, do it.

I really infuriates me when people twist my words, ive had it off members on here before and there is no need for it.

In real life as such, i would now show you what a direct insult is but because im generally polite and out of respect for Dave and the forum i wont.

Adi

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest G.J.M

Brian

you have chosen to use your real name in the forum which is your choice but look around other sites and you will see it's pretty uncommon and most go with a made up one.

It has nothing to do with being untrustworthy and i feel that by your replies on here you will ruin it for other diy'ers with genuine problems with an alarm system,as Trade members will be reluctant to help them.

I chose not to have my real name over the internet but my initials.Does this make me dodgy??

Graeme.

Guest brian gladman
I'm half tempted not to reply but anyway ......

Firstly to set matters straight with regard to this site and the security industry in general - this site does not represent the industry, (as I am sure that you are well aware), but like many other such forums it is a group of "like-minded", (I use the term reservedly), individuals who in the course of coming together to discuss their industry also offer assistance to members of the public.

Some members run their own company, large or small, others are employees of similar companies and some are employees of large corporate companies - whether the employee has the approval and/or consent of his company in posting here is often undetermined.

Like most Internet forums many members here use pseudonyms, some intended to be vague and others not so - it is a fact that the Internet is not a very "private" place and most people would prefer not to have their personal information appearing on search engines and the like, accompanied by their comments, advised and ill-advised. I support the freedom to retain anonymity for that reason, I do not support anonymity for the sake of rudeness or wrongdoing - but it is a two-way street!

Many people come to this forum requesting advice, some don't even acknowledge the assistance given let alone offer thanks, others are plain rude when advice is offered but consists of something that they do not want to hear; not surprising then that sometimes it works the other way.

I do not believe that "Mr Happy" intended to incite anyone to burglary - there is enough information freely available on the Internet about you, your background and your location that any comments from "Mr Happy", unprofessional or otherwise, are truly irrelevant but then in all your years have you never said anything irritating, unprofessional or offensive to anyone else?

The professional standards of security installers as a GROUP are set out by Government Legistlation, Police Policy, Inspectorate Supervision and Individual Company Policy - they are not setout on Internet forums.

Ok, I could respond in detail to your points but I am not going to as I can see it's not worth the effort. If you are unable to understand why what Mr Happy did poses a serious problem for you as a group, then I believe that your problems are a great deal worse than I imagined.

Unless anyone wishes to continue this thread, I am going to complete unfinished business using private messages.

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

Guest G.J.M
Methinks you take yourself too seriously but don't take that as an indication that I wish to continue the thread :no:

second that.

3. A number of people in the trade post anonymously but are prepared to say who they are if asked. They are not abusive and have given by far the most constructive responses to my posts. Bellman is the most obvious example who springs to mind, not because he is alone but rather because his posts lead me to believe that his view of security is very similar to my own.

I concur we do appear to hold similar views on the security front. But we are probably looking at it from different perspectives. Half of the things I have done are for no better reasons than 1, I LOVE fiddling with stuff and 2, because I can :) (although the paranoia gives me the bonus of strange ideas to try out :) )

I post using my nickname because it's one I've had for years not because I desire to remain covert. You wouldn't need to be a Mensa member (although I am and there is at least one other on the board) to work out who I work for anyway. I don't represent my employer on these forums and my sig line also states that my posts are MY views and not my employers. Just in case there is any confusion / doubt.

4. Then there are those who post anonymously because their company only allows them to post in this way. These companies evidently don't trust their employees to act responsibly and they don't mind if they post wrecklessly and unprofessionally when associated with the trade provided that they are not associated with the company!! I cannot see any basis on which I should trust such companies - they don't even trust their own employees to act responsibly and they don't care what damage their employees might do to the reputation of the trade as a whole.

As with any company in any line of business...

If you as a GROUP want to be seen as professionals then you have to both set and police standards of behavour that apply to your individual members.

The site has a published set of rules to which members are expected to adhere.

In my view banning anonymous posting here would be an immediate indication that you don't intend to tolerate wreckless or abusive posting in the name of your trade and would show onlookers that you do have standards and that you are not only professional but you intend to be SEEN as professional.

That would exclude a lot of very talented engineers from this forum due to company actions as was mentioned in a previous post. They are entitled to their right to privacy as it fosters free speech, a subject that I note you support (no2id).

The forum is not a business, It's Dave's hobby. We are all here in our own time to chat and gossip about all things "alarmy" as well as helping the odd diy'er along the way where we can. My judged professionality is on my individual reputation, not the trade as a whole.

As a side note, now you know our collective reasons for not divulging reset procedures I'm sure you agree that to do so would be unprofessional in the grossest manner.

The first reply you got to your initial question by Alarmgard was the correct one.

I have spent some time on this in the hope that it might do some good. But I am resigned to the fact that it seems, from past experience at least, to be far more likely to attract a further torrent of abuse.

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

As Dave mentioned above, your points have been noted,

There's far more "heated" debated in the trade only areas as views are freely expressed there. Some of the members are blunt in their replies and flippant remarks are sometimes made but their lack of grammatical eloquence doesn't remove their engineering skills or talents.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

I think you are coming at this from a different perspective because I am considering my security and how I can maintain control over this. As the owner of assets I want to protect them and I believe that I must retain ultimate responsibility for this. I might choose to delegate aspects of this security to an alarm manufacturer, to an installer and to a maintainer but I have to be able to withdraw from any relationships that no longer serve my needs by rescinding any authority that I have delegated.

It's not the same at all in my view. In one case I have recinded a delegated authority and recovered it myself; in the other case I have sought to pass it between two third parties. In the latter situation I have a great deal less control over what happens.

For example, if I have established a relationhip with one maintainer and I find that they have been convicted of burglary, I want to remove their delegated authority immediately and I certainly don't want to wait until I have had time to establish a trust relationship with another supplier since this won't be something I can arrange overnight. Hence my ability to do a factory reset is an important aspect of my security as an end user since it protects me from rogue maintainers.

I used to set some of these standards but I don't really believe in them at the bottom end of the market (home security).

My system is 11 years old and I have just renewed the batteries in both the RS40 and the external sounder as you suggest. My daughter's system is even older and is the one for which we don't have the engineering code. But I have just realised that I can copy copy the EEPROM on my system into her EEPROM and get a system in which we know the codes.

I am not sure how interested you folk really are. But I will willingly report back on my Coopers interactions (I am not confident here) and on my EEPROM copying experiment.

with best regards,

Brian Gladman

if you have an engineers manual???????? all the codes you need are in the book

• 4 weeks later...

Once again new here, just seen this.

So what do you want to change with the system that was designed for your with the surveyor at the time of the quotation.

Then at install by the engineer and also by the handover engineer. These systems are now so fine we can do almost anything you wish. And keep them within the standards.

?

Archived