Security Installer Community

Which Light Switching Relay?

After reading numerous threads on here I'm very interested in having my Premier 48 (once installed) switch my hall light on/off on entry and exit.

I have an electrician coming to run power for the box and would like a relay for the light so he can install it.

Any suggestions on what switch/relay to buy for this panel to switch a standard uk mains light please, and where to buy?

I'd get your electrician to supply a relay\contactor with 12VDC coil. The he knows what he's getting and also it's under his warranty terms so you don't have to pay him to fix it if it dies unexpectedly soon.

I'm never keen on customers supplying equipment unless I've told them exactly what to get and from where.

I'd get your electrician to supply a relay\contactor with 12VDC coil. The he knows what he's getting and also it's under his warranty terms so you don't have to pay him to fix it if it dies unexpectedly soon.

I'll ask him to get it then, thanks for advice.

The main problem is he has no experience connecting to an alarm, what supply/feed will come from the panel, how many wires, what voltage etc?

If I can tell him what he's connecting to and run the feed ready whilst I've got the floor boards up, then it should be pretty quick for him to fit.

I take it there is no alarm in at present? Who is fitting it?

A lot of variables are involved here, but as a guide only then you want to run either a 6 or 8 core alarm cable from the relay to the alarm control panel location and ensure it is seperate from any mains runs by at least 50-100mm, ideally as far away as possible. Connect the red and black cores to the coil and neatly wrap the other cores in the box. Leave the other end ready for the alarm installer to deal with.

The panel is a Premier 48 which is being installed next week. Most of the cabling was put in before I had a lot of the walls plastered, just needs connecting to sensors and panel. No problem to add another wire from panel to near hall light switch as he said he will put a box on wall to house relay for easy maint.

I'm looking at the following http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=N11AW&DOY=9m5 , item code N11AW, and a surface box. Do you think that relay is suitable for this panel, it seems to be 12V, I want to have everything here waiting when he installs? cheers for your advice here.

I think you're also advised to put a diode across the contacts to protect the panel outputs aren't you? As per the premier installation guide...

The panel is a Premier 48 which is being installed next week. Most of the cabling was put in before I had a lot of the walls plastered, just needs connecting to sensors and panel. No problem to add another wire from panel to near hall light switch as he said he will put a box on wall to house relay for easy maint.

I'm looking at the following http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=N11AW&DOY=9m5 , item code N11AW, and a surface box. Do you think that relay is suitable for this panel, it seems to be 12V, I want to have everything here waiting when he installs? cheers for your advice here.

Archived