Security Installer Community

Sky Digital

morph

I have sky digital in my house and want to put it in a seccond room, when sky installed the dish they fitted one with a quad LNB, so have the spare connections to the dish.

What i need to know whats the best way to get a service in a seccond room, it doesn't need to have all the subscription services.

I was looking at buying another reciever and simply plugging it all in, will that work?

Need to be able to view different chanels from the main box.

Anyone help or point me in the direction of a web site that has the neccessary info.

Depends if you want to watch different channels in each room or not. If not then all you need to do is run a satellite grade coax to the second room, then get yourself a magic eye and second remote off ebay, total cost probably about 25 quid, the cable plugs into the second rf output on your existing digibox.

However if you want to watch different channels then you will almost certainly have to contact sky and take out a second subscription.

Oops just reread initial post, you'll have to call sky me thinks

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

If you have the double LNB Colin then get your self another Rx unit I am in the under standing that SKY will supply another card as part of a package with the existing account. Lurchy will know more. I have had a lot of job's recently putting additional phone sockets where the customer has upgraded to Sky + and has used the old RX unit with existing card for the kids room. Apperantly its part of the contract again to have the second unit connected to Com's.

Apperantly its part of the contract again to have the second unit connected to Com's.

I believe it's required to have both connected to the phone where the second is provided at a "reduced" price. And it has to be the same phone line too.

Apparently the boxes dial Sky regularly (or when commanded to over the satellite link) on an 0800 number to confirm what line they're on to prevent people cheating and selling it to a friend.

You also need CLI out working, or if your number is suppressed you need to tell the installer so they put the right prefix on the call.

Guest IM_Alarms

It cost 10 per month for multi-room if you have at least one premium channel. They will provide kit for second room and yes it does need telephone connection, but this way you'll have same channels as main box.

All the above are correct, but by the time you have bought a new reciever and done the work, you might find it better to ring sky, they have deals for upgrades and you might find they will fit another reciever and all the bits if you take out multiroom at a extra

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Guest Cerberus NI
I have sky digital in my house and want to put it in a seccond room, when sky installed the dish they fitted one with a quad LNB, so have the spare connections to the dish.

What i need to know whats the best way to get a service in a seccond room, it doesn't need to have all the subscription services.

I was looking at buying another reciever and simply plugging it all in, will that work?

Anyone help or point me in the direction of a web site that has the neccessary info.

Try here - Satellite Forums.

Good site but you may find that some of the installers keep things to their chest and tell you to get the professionals in....... :roflmao:

SKY will rip you off at every opprotunity but hate to lose a contract, so here is your chance to get a good discount.

(will only work if you are in a cabled arae)

Phone SKY cancellations and ask if tell them that you wish to cancel. They will of course ask why so say that you can get Telewest in all rooms for

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

I ditched Sky subcriptions ages ago because they like to bump up prices and reduce services.

You should be able to get a second digibox for a decent price off eBay or there are places selling recon ones for about

Also works with telewest i told them to take out my standard tv package as i was getting free view

Ended up keeping the digital TV for free because i had a phone line and broadband

• 8 months later...

As said above, receiver off ebay, CT100 from LNB to new receiver and a free-to-air card from Sky.

Dont worry too much about the phone line stuff, mines been unplugged from the phone for around 5 years and ive had no probas at all.

Andy.

www.sound-designs.co.uk - Audio visual design and installation including CCTV

www.frenergy.co.uk - Renewable energy technology

hi,

as i understand it the sky box will work as a 'free view' box, so if you get a second-hand one thats all you will have when you connect to the lmb, if you want other channels then you will need another card with subscriptions as required.

don't forget to seal the gland with self amalgamating tape :yes:

happy new year

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Cerberus NI
As said above, receiver off ebay, CT100 from LNB to new receiver and a free-to-air card from Sky.

Dont worry too much about the phone line stuff, mines been unplugged from the phone for around 5 years and ive had no probas at all.

Andy.

It depends if you are on their free box/free install scheme - I know of two people over the last month who have got letters saying that they are in breach of their agreement because the phone is disconnected (mines seldom on though!)

Does anyone read dates in topics?

your right Lurch,

but sooooo quiet on here, and i get my topic closed on NSI and SSAIB accountability closed before i can even answere so what else can we do :whistle:

regs

alan

I dont think Arfur reads the posts properly let alone that dates :whistle: sorry Alan I coudnt resist

no probs Peter,

i love good honest banter, the ruling half and i (note the grammer) went to Paris for New Year, decided to go by an organised coach trip as a way of being 'baby sitter refugee's' (but rusty tin can of Ovaltine was banned at French customs :realmad: had to go cold turkey).

wife states on the way home "seems like we have been away a longer time, not just for 3 days" (now there's some kind of backhanded compelement in there somewhere) then go's on to say "seems like we left last week and came back this", so then i pointed out we did better than that, "we left last year and came back this one" took here a full ten minutes to work that out for herself :rolleyes: then i got a smack right on the chops! so who said romance was dead?

regs

alan

i got a smack right on the chops! so who said romance was dead?

regs

alan

good point but u probably deserved it u wind up merchant go bk 2 ure rusty can ov ovaltine masquarding as bovril and have some fun :roflmao:

All comments in this post are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

Archived