Security Installer Community

Greedy Con Merchants

Help required to calm me down :ranting:

Can anybody give me a valid reason why on a domestic residence(not high security risk) the alarm installer should 'lock' the engineers code and program the spare zones for 24hr guard.

My daughter's house was burgled so I decided to upgrade her alarm system by adding door contacts and a shock sensor.Imagine my surprise when removing the zone links the alarm activated and then, when I reset the the panel to factory settings I found the engineer's code locked thus preventing me from reprogramming the system. I believe the installation programming was done for one reason and one reason only, and that was to tie the end user to the installation company and to financially penalise them should decide to move. Can anyone defend this action as I have said, on a domestic residence with no service contract. :ranting::angry:

Regards.

Tony.

Some companies do it, personally I dont like it if the system has been bought outright.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Can anybody give me a valid reason why on a domestic residence(not high security risk) the alarm installer should 'lock' the engineers code and program the spare zones for 24hr guard.

My daughter's house was burgled so I decided to upgrade her alarm system by adding door contacts and a shock sensor.Imagine my surprise when removing the zone links the alarm activated and then, when I reset the the panel to factory settings I found the engineer's code locked thus preventing me from reprogramming the system. I believe the installation programming was done for one reason and one reason only, and that was to tie the end user to the installation company and to financially penalise them should decide to move. Can anyone defend this action as I have said, on a domestic residence with no service contract. :ranting::angry:

Regards.

Tony.

Sounds like a Gardtec panel :hmm: get somebody in to give you a service contract and take over the alarm

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

No.

Agreed, only exception would be if it was under warranty.

Considering the prices of domestic diy panels like the Texecoms it's probably a better option to just replace the pcb since a visit from the installing co to default the code would be a chargeable call. :yes:

The opposing school of thought would ask why are they greedy con merchants?

The alarm co sold you a system with X amount of detectors. that is what was purchased, nothing more, nothing less.

The fact that the panel has capacity for more, and you now wish to add extras to it, is outside those agreed terms of purchase.

Two sides to every story :rolleyes:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

the simple answer is no it cannot be explained.

As per other answers try contacting the alarm company and see if they will unlock it.

alternatively chuck it in bin & get a new panel - you should be able to get a quality one for under

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Regards.

Tony.

We do this all the time. and the only person here that wants something for nothing is:

get a pro in you cheap SK8

Jef

Customers!

Guest rjbsec
Agreed, only exception would be if it was under warranty.

Considering the prices of domestic diy panels like the Texecoms it's probably a better option to just replace the pcb since a visit from the installing co to default the code would be a chargeable call. :yes:

In my view there is absolutely no justification for this situation causing the owner to incur any additional expense, be that either a new pcb or a charge from the old installer. I believe a court of law could easily find against the old installer for expenses incurred to the owner as a result of the engineer code being locked.

The opposing school of thought would ask why are they greedy con merchants?

The alarm co sold you a system with X amount of detectors. that is what was purchased, nothing more, nothing less.

The fact that the panel has capacity for more, and you now wish to add extras to it, is outside those agreed terms of purchase.

Two sides to every story :rolleyes:

Regards

Bellman

The customer got what he was paying for in the original design, sure, but preventing him from freely moving to another maintainer is clearly a restrictive practice and again I think it could be argued as being unlawful.

In my view there is absolutely no justification for this situation causing the owner to incur any additional expense, be that either a new pcb or a charge from the old installer. I believe a court of law could easily find against the old installer for expenses incurred to the owner as a result of the engineer code being locked.

Whoah there hose.

No-one has come back and said anything about what the installer has said. If the customer had called the installer and he said 'get bent' then fair enough.

I don't think we should be flinging yes\no etc... about until we know the story. The instaler may turn around say he will call by and unlock the code FOC.

Archived