Security Installer Community

To charge or not to charge...

andyhodson

Got called out to a system this morning (non contract) customer saying his alarm was going off outside and couldn't stop it. I could hear a noise that didn't sound like an alarm in the background but as he was only 2 minutes down the road I said I'd go and take a look.

Anyway, got there to find noise had stopped and the bloke (a bit of a not-right if truth be told) said he couldn't explain it.

Checked all the system and nothing appeared to be wrong. Then I heard a 'pip!'

Searched the house looking for the source of the noise and it led me outside. At that point, I was thinking that it was a duff SAB as it did appear to be coming from there but I was puzzled. Then I hear 'pip!' coming from the vicinity of some waste bags. Sure enough, it pips again and I get him to open a bag and empty the contents. I'd already sussed out that the pipping was coming from a different bag, but wanted some revenge so got him to empty the wrong bag over his path :whistle:

After a minute or two scuffing around in the bag, he pulls out a smoke alarm and sure enough, pressing the button generated the exact same noise as he had heard before. Being a bit thick, he still didn't quite understand that there was nothing wrong with the system until I'd explained what had happened in detail, 3 or 4 times :realmad:

So the question is, do I send him a bill for this binbag noise abating service? :hmm:

Manufacturer

Technically, yes you should charge. Whether you had a 2 minute journey or 45 stuck in traffic should be irrelevant. However, we all end up doing favours for people (big mistake) - so if it only took you a few minutes and you can't realy justify the charge to yourself, and if he was a bit dopey, then maybe don't charge - or charge a reduced rate. If you called someone out would they come out for free - I don't think so. So why do so many of us face this dilema?

:hmm:

And he is not even a contract customer. Double :hmm:

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

No I dont think you should charge him.

You shouldnt have gone unless it was understood he would be charged for your visit. I think the mistake for not stating this is yours, and therefore you cant charge him.

Put this one down to experience or call it a good dead, whichever.

Yeah I think its taken as read when you call someone out that you are going to get charged, so I'd say that the assumption is 'I'm getting charged for this' unless no bill appears.

I'm sure some cowboy types might have taken it one stage further and fitted a new SAB, then quietly removed the smoke alarm from the bin, but I don't mind doing the odd favour here and there for the mentally bewildered.

Manufacturer

Guest IM_Alarms

The reason so many alarm installers are not earning what they should be earning is exactly this kind of, 'let them off' attitude. When will everyone take a leaf out of the plumbers book and charge everyone what you want to earn or don't do the job. You can't blame customers for wanting everything on the cheap, because you guys have given yourselves the reputation of being cheap. Look round at other trades and you'll find that alarm installer is rated alongside painter/ decorator for value when it should be equal with fire engineer/ electrician/ plumber.

Consider, the can of worms officially open..............

Another way of looking at it is.... "potential new customer?"

If the answer is yes (him or family or friends as potential profitable future business) then maybe you do it for free or cheaply.

But whatever you do, give him a bill showing the normal charge and discount. So he knows he got a bargain! :yes:

Got called out to a system this morning (non contract) customer saying his alarm was going off outside and couldn't stop it.  I could hear a noise that didn't sound like an alarm in the background but as he was only 2 minutes down the road I said I'd go and take a look.

Anyway, got there to find noise had stopped and the bloke (a bit of a not-right if truth be told) said he couldn't explain it.

Checked all the system and nothing appeared to be wrong.  Then I heard a 'pip!'

Searched the house looking for the source of the noise and it led me outside.  At that point, I was thinking that it was a duff SAB as it did appear to be coming from there but I was puzzled.  Then I hear 'pip!' coming from the vicinity of some waste bags.  Sure enough, it pips again and I get him to open a bag and empty the contents.  I'd already sussed out that the pipping was coming from a different bag, but wanted some revenge so got him to empty the wrong bag over his path  :whistle:

After a minute or two scuffing around in the bag, he pulls out a smoke alarm and sure enough, pressing the button generated the exact same noise as he had heard before.  Being a bit thick, he still didn't quite understand that there was nothing wrong with the system until I'd explained what had happened in detail, 3 or 4 times  :realmad:

So the question is, do I send him a bill for this binbag noise abating service?  :hmm:

70062[/snapback]

If you decide not to charge (please dont). Send me his details and i will bill him. Well if you want to give it away ill take the cash from you any day. :hmm:

Jef

Customers!

Sorry but yo MUST charge, it gains you respect and he will look a little closer next time and not waste yours. What's wrong with people not wanting to charge for their knowledge and labour.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I agree, you aren't running a charity here, this guy phoned YOU, if he didnt expect to recieve a bill, then he is taking the michael. Im not suggesting you should invioce him for anything more than expenses, but i wouldnt let it go.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Archived