Security Installer Community

Drilling through a wall.....

borris

On an install at a school I had to drill out for a PAC reader next to a door, I was in a hurry so all I did was look out a window to make sure it was a straight wall. Big mistake.

The 16mm SDS went throuht the wall with ease, only problem was the brand new tile mosacke of the tyne bridge on the other side, quick visit to B&Q for some clear silicone and I spent the rest of the day putting it all back together.

Got away with it as well :P

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, another Chris classic.

Little old lady's bungalow (huge place with lots of rooms all over the place)

Installing an Alarm and all of the ceilings had been lowered (two ceilings to go through)Tight roof space (18 stone of me) & very hot up there, fed up, as the lad I was with had passed wind up there & there was no way out, dragging & clipping all the cables to the far end, where the end station was going below in a cupboard, or so I thought.

I go down stairs to the cupboard to drill up to him to fish out the cables. Drilling with a 20mm 3 ft spade bit up through the first ceiling & can feel what I thought was the second ceiling, but it was a struggle to go further.

Pushing on it hard & up it goes. That got it I thought, I'll give it a bit more for good measure. Pull the drill out & look up into the hole to see daylight x 3 20mm holes. (Don't remember it being that bright in the loft)

Turned out, my cupboard was in a room built onto the side of the bungalow with a flat roof & we were 3 foot away from the main loft.

Sweeping the stones on the roof to one side, bunging up the hole & emptying nearly 3 tubes of clear silicone into & around the hole, sweep the stones back over & give it a good pat. (Found another place for the end station)

It chucked it down that night & I hardly slept at all :cry:

It held ok & no more was ever said about it :whistle:

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Oh, forgot to say that I went back (Cautiously) to fit the Dual Com a couple of days later & she had written her code in permanent marker on the Keypad. banghead

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Pushing on it hard & up it goes. That got it I thought, I'll give it a bit more for good measure. Pull the drill out & look up into the hole to see daylight x 3 20mm holes. (Don't remember it being that bright in the loft)

Sweeping the stones on the roof to one side, bunging up the hole & emptying nearly 3 tubes of clear silicone into & around the hole, sweep the stones back over & give it a good pat. It held ok & no more was ever said about it  :whistle:

58299[/snapback]

There must be a proper fix for this. Worth reminding members of the fix to drilled pipes Tips & Tricks

Jef

Customers!

There must be a proper fix for this. Worth reminding members of the fix to drilled pipes Tips & Tricks

Jef

58311[/snapback]

Jef, with the panic that had set in & the rapid heart beat as I thought of what to do, anyone else in the same scenario will find no shortage of brown filler :yes:

Chris

Drilled into a 10mm mains cable once blew a big hole in the wall.

But not as good as the time i was replacing the water main to my house from lead to polly pipe with a mini digger and hit the incoming mains = very large bang and sparks all over the front garden 3 houses without power all day on a sat. The bucket on the digger was stuck on the cable and every time i moved it more sparks and small explosions. Managed to talk my way into getting it fixed for free.

• 2 months later...
Guest MSI New York

I drilled into a water pipe, once.

No big deal, right? We've all done that, yeah?

No. This particular water pipe was located in a doctor's office. And it was after-hours (the only time I could work without getting plaster dust in peoples' chest cavities), so there was no one in the office to show me where the shut-off was for the water.

It took me nearly 20 minutes to find the shutoff, by which time there is $6,000 worth of diagnostic equipment sitting in six inches or so of water.

The entire job was $4500.

But that's not my best story.

The best story I've ever heard involved my father, drilling a hole in from one closet to another closet.

He drilled with a 16 inch bit- didn't come out the other side.

He drilled with a 32 inch bit- didn't come out the other side.

He eventually drilled with a 54 inch flexi bit before he came out the side.

(Attention citizens of countries that use the metric system, i.e. every single country on the planet outside the United States: a medium sized bit, a long bit, and a really, really long bit.)

This is the begining of the summer, say May or June.

Comes November and he gets a call from the customer: "I have a wire in my coat".

Turns out he had drilled into a closet in between the two, a cold-storage closet. He had drilled into the customer's shoes, into her fur coat, and pulled the wire back on the end of the bit, so there was a hole in the lady's fur coat with a wire running through it.

"Look on the bright side" said my dad, "No one will ever steal your coat".

• 3 months later...

Archived