Security Installer Community

Drilling through a wall.....

borris

One of the install lads was drilling a hole through a wall into the kitchen to get a cable through. Now I have to admit, I have hit a cable before, but never a fridge!!!!! Not only did he hit it, he went straight through the side.

Another one using cherry picker. Was told not to park on the grass but did anyway. When it comes to leaving he couldn't shift the van. Had to get a crane in to lift it out of the ditch he had created. So not only was the grass destroyed, but also some of the road from the crane!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bet that went down like a sack of brown stuff.

The worst Ive seen is half the plaster fall off the other side of the wall.

i know some one who drilled from the garage to under the stairs and into a wedding album

56511[/snapback]

What about one of our guys drilled into a cupboard and the drill bit got stuck, he cut the drill bit off and filled over it as he couldnt find it in the cupboard.

Trouble is the house owner found it when he went to get one of his LPs out of the cupboard and found his whole collection speared by a 600mm bit.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest IM_Alarms

Copied from previous post............

I was once drilling into an understair cupboard at skirting height and happened across the 4" post holding the stairs up, so decided to take it off hammer and just push it through. Well ten minutes later I finally got through and pulled back my red hot drill bit. I push the cable through and fed "plenty" into the cupboard which was so full of junk I hadn't bothered to pre-clear it. I was figuring on just reaching behind it all and fishing the cable clear, which is what I tried to do.......... and tried some more ........ and tried some more. Until I finally decided to clear the cupboard to see where my cable was. Eventially pulling out all the last bottles of xmas plonk to find my cable (about 5M lon) inside a bottle of Scotch !!!

It appears that the bottle must have been tight up against the wood and my drill was just the right temperature to burn its way through. It looked like a pickled snake. I'm sure the customer thought I been drinking with all that smell after i'd pulled it out..........

LMAO.... Some good ones here.

I've seen a guy drill through a wall on landing to run an upstairs keypad wire up inside airing cupboard in bathroom and he drilled straight into the hot water tank. Boy did the water flow.

Also, i had a sprog with me not so many moons ago and i told him to drill straight up through floorboards behind a bed so i could get a cable. He totally missed drilled from the spot i told him to drill and ended up getting the drill stuck in the bottom of a steel filing cabinet at the side of the bed. Both of us were tugging it (in reverse) for ages. Literally hanging from the roof. Luckily the customer never saw what went off and there has never been any come backs from the job :blink:

Trade Member

We had a guy try to drill into a cavity from a conservatory fed the cable thought the hole and could not hook it out the other side so drilled another hole. He then discovered he had drilled into the adjoining house twice with a SDS drill, had to stay on site till 8.00pm until the neighbours came home.

Slightly different subject the engineer on question is also going a bit thin on top, on leaving a house with scaffolding round it he catches his head with no hard hat on a scaffold clamp nut poking down ripping back a large section of skin. Need about 20 stitches at the local hospital to hold the flap of skin down.

Trade Member

Guest G.J.M
Through the side - or the gassed part?  :blink:

56509[/snapback]

thru the back and into the compartment itself.

When i was am apprentice and helping to fit a security alarm, i drilled into a chimney from the attic(for external bell).The customer said to my boss "he better no be drillin' thru ma feckin' chimney by the way".I stopped drilling filled the hole with caulk and chucked drill dust at it,to make a perfect cover up job.

the geezer never noticed :whistle:

A mate in a wholesalers used to be on install years ago and he once drilled from a bedroom into the bathroom and through the bath!

Not quite as bad, but I once did similar a few years ago drilling at an angle with a 10mm /1M SDS bit in an old house with floor levels all over the place.

It was a struggle & I was pushing on the drill for all it was worth & finally up it went. The drill must have hit something in the cavity, went off the wrong way and came out through the floor in the clients toilet, a few inches away with her sat on the pan at the time :whistle:

I could hear the scream over the noise of the drill :cry:

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

I know of one member on here, who shall remain nameless to save his blushes. Drilled through a wall in the wrong spot. Big bullet wound etc. He had the house to himself and did not have any polafilla so he used the next best thing. Toothpaste. I was poorless when he told me that one.

cheers Kev

Theres normally someone on here by now saying:- "shouldnt this be in trade" LOL

Luckily all the engineers on the forum are trained professionals ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Was drilling through a wall of a tenement for a door entry front panel and hit the scottish power main cable...took out half of the Gorbals when the two four hundred amp fuses at the substation went...cue irate business owners wanting to lynch me as the power was off the whole day ,scottish power had to dig up the street and pavement while I stood around looking sheepish

I drilled a dwarf once on the back seat of a Nissan Cherry, to be fair it wasnt an accident and i never knew i could stoop that low! :whistle:

In my defence i should mention it was in Philadelphia USA where it is seen as fair game AFAIAA!

On an install at a school I had to drill out for a PAC reader next to a door, I was in a hurry so all I did was look out a window to make sure it was a straight wall. Big mistake.

The 16mm SDS went throuht the wall with ease, only problem was the brand new tile mosacke of the tyne bridge on the other side, quick visit to B&Q for some clear silicone and I spent the rest of the day putting it all back together.

Got away with it as well :P

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

OK, another Chris classic.

Little old lady's bungalow (huge place with lots of rooms all over the place)

Installing an Alarm and all of the ceilings had been lowered (two ceilings to go through)Tight roof space (18 stone of me) & very hot up there, fed up, as the lad I was with had passed wind up there & there was no way out, dragging & clipping all the cables to the far end, where the end station was going below in a cupboard, or so I thought.

I go down stairs to the cupboard to drill up to him to fish out the cables. Drilling with a 20mm 3 ft spade bit up through the first ceiling & can feel what I thought was the second ceiling, but it was a struggle to go further.

Pushing on it hard & up it goes. That got it I thought, I'll give it a bit more for good measure. Pull the drill out & look up into the hole to see daylight x 3 20mm holes. (Don't remember it being that bright in the loft)

Turned out, my cupboard was in a room built onto the side of the bungalow with a flat roof & we were 3 foot away from the main loft.

Sweeping the stones on the roof to one side, bunging up the hole & emptying nearly 3 tubes of clear silicone into & around the hole, sweep the stones back over & give it a good pat. (Found another place for the end station)

It chucked it down that night & I hardly slept at all :cry:

It held ok & no more was ever said about it :whistle:

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Oh, forgot to say that I went back (Cautiously) to fit the Dual Com a couple of days later & she had written her code in permanent marker on the Keypad. banghead

Pushing on it hard & up it goes. That got it I thought, I'll give it a bit more for good measure. Pull the drill out & look up into the hole to see daylight x 3 20mm holes. (Don't remember it being that bright in the loft)

Sweeping the stones on the roof to one side, bunging up the hole & emptying nearly 3 tubes of clear silicone into & around the hole, sweep the stones back over & give it a good pat. It held ok & no more was ever said about it  :whistle:

58299[/snapback]

There must be a proper fix for this. Worth reminding members of the fix to drilled pipes Tips & Tricks

Jef

Customers!

Archived