Security Installer Community

Problems changing engineers code on Veritas R8

Guest MYT123

Guest MYT123

Usual story, but with a twist!

I've recently moved into my new house and it's fitted with a Veritas R8. I was given the user code and the user manual. I quickly changed the user code to my own private number and that went without a hic-cup. I've been wanting to change the exit entry timers so I got a copy of the installation manual. Unfortunately the engineer code had been changed from the default number.

No probs, I do a restore default settings and now the engineer code is back to the default. The problem now is that i cant change the engineer code to my chosen private number. I've tried the 2 methods for pre and post '99 models but each one gives me double bleep, I've also noticed that some of the programming menus are not available as listed in my installation manual (Veritas 8, Veritas 8Compact, Veritas R8).

Any ideas would be appreciated,

MYT123.

PS. Should also say that the only real problem is that I can't change the eng. code. I've managed to set up all my zones correctly as well as changing the entry/exit timers etc etc.

Bear in mind also that defaulting the system may mean that it all needs reprogramming if things aren't wired for a default confuguration, not just entry\exit timers.

Guest MYT123

Once I'm in the programming mode (ie all 8 LEDs on), if i press 01 I just get a single low tone - aarrrgggghhhhhhh!

The engineers code is not locked because a restore default settings (which I did earlier today) restored the eng. code from god-knows-what it was before.

MYT123.

Guest MYT123

ive been able to change the zones and timers. havent tried checking the logs yet.

Seems a bit strange to me? unless the installation manual ive got is for a slightly newer model?? I take it you could change the engineer codes on even the earliest R8'S? I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to mind you.

Thanks for your help so far, its very much appreciated. Any other ideas?

MYT123

Not sure what else to suggest - you have definately got into the programming menu (to enable you to change the timers and zones etc). My manuals are all in the van, and my Adobe is not working (re-install coming up soon...)

I Guess you could try a new code? Worth a try - I don't have to program the older Veritas very often, so my memory is a bit rusty...)

To anwer your question though - you can definately change the engineer's code on all Veritas panels - unless it has been locked, and it sounds like your panel is NOT locked.

Guest MYT123

if i enter 03 from the programming mode (all 8 LEDs on) I get 1,3 and 8 lit. So didnt enter a new code at this point, just pressed reset twice to ensure i didnt chnage anything i didnt want to! Will need to check my manual to see what the lights mean.

MYT123

Just to say the obvious - the engineer code may be defaulted - but when your system is armed it cant be unset with the engineer code - so it would be a risk if you know people can mess with the panel whilst its unset - but whilst its set you cant disarm using the engineer code.

Guest MYT123

I know tht the engineer code cant be used to set/unset the alarm and that the engineering mode is only accessible when the alarm is not set. Also, as it's a house (and not business) alarm it's unlikely anyone will be mucking about with the panel. However, I want to be able to change the code for my own piece of mind and theres a few other functions I'd like to use which I can't seem to access eg. Latching walk test, normal walk test is fine, latching test just give single low tone when i try to activate?

Any other ideas really would be appreciated, thanks to everyone who's contributed so far.

MYT123

Ok mate no problem, jus making sure you knew it wasnt the end of the world - although I understand the need to change the code too :)

Guest MYT123

Obviously I'm well chuffed thatthe factory reset gave me access to 'some' of the engineering/programming functions but being the inquisitive sort I wanted to check out all the settings and it was frustrating that some options were not available. However, I've really appreciated the help so far and hopefully someone out there may know/recognise this problem?

Thanks again,

MYT123

Guest MYT123

Yeah, changing the code is just one of the functions that I wanted to use in the programming menu but i cant seem to get access to it yet other engineering options work fine (changing timers, zone type etc).

I know it could be a lot worse but hopefully someone will have the solution and I can get my system working 100%.

MYT123

Guest MYT123

Problem sorted. Turns out its an early version of the Veritas R8, thanks to everyone for their help.

MYT123

Archived