Security Installer Community

Part M - Disabled Access, etc

ARJ

In 1999 the ODPM's Part M regs came into effect, relating to Disabled Access provisions to properties. Part of this reg states that all sockets, light switches, controls, etc, should now be mounted between a minimum height of 450mm and a max of 1200mm.

When you boys are installing in a 'new build' for example, that needs to comply, do you adhere to that when mounting the Keypad, or do you mount it at a sensible height so that little Johnny can't play with it ?

Also, we fitted a video intercom recently and were 'reminded' to fit that below 4 ft.

by the resident 'facilities management' dept. The receptionist has now realised that if the caller is 'able bodied' she gets a great shot of their naval and if she can only see a hat - they're in a wheel chair! ...probably hasn't seen a face in two weeks !

What do you lot think ? Keypads at a height for 98% of the populaton or mounted for the other 2% + kids ?

ARJ

A nearly retired previous installer !

I've mused over this once or twice in the past. I came to the conclusion that mounting the keypads at a height suitable for the majority of the users, i.e. around 5', was the thing to do.

If disabled access is required then a standalone prox would probably be better as there are no buttons lower down. Depends on the swite circumstances though, I'll generally do what stops the customer moaning!

I still mount keypads at shoulder height, I know we are meant to be all PC but Im all for the majority.

Who can read LCD text if the keypads mounted at tit height without getting a sore back?

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

depends of the tits i would say...

not so many years ago i hit my face :w00t: on a nice pair of ones when turning away from cashier in a kiosk in a small hurry. I was a bit stunned :blink: of the view and forgot to breathe until i started to see stars as well.. :whistle:

I still mount keypads at shoulder height, I know we are meant to be all PC but Im all for the majority.

Who can read LCD text if the keypads mounted at tit height without getting a sore back?

45738[/snapback]

I totally agree, but when doing a self-build it's a case of getting it all past the Building Inspector. .

Same thing installing the room stat - Imagine waking up in the middle of the night 'cause little Johnny has twiddled it upto 35 degrees on his way to bed!!

- ridiculous

... just have to move it all back up once it's all signed off :yes:

ARJ

A nearly retired previous installer !

depends of the tits i would say...

not so many years ago i hit my face  :w00t:  on a nice pair of ones when turning away from cashier in a kiosk in a small hurry. I was a bit stunned  :blink: of the view and forgot to breathe until i started to see stars as well..  :whistle:

45740[/snapback]

HA HA HA....

Did you have black eyes georg....

:boxing:

Garry....

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

Guest IM_Alarms

I got caught out woth this one recently, mounted an entrypanel at 1500 only to find that manager was clued up to disabled access and made us change it to 1200. Agree that it's major annoying for the 98% who will probably end up in wheelchairs after stooping to talk.

Like most things in this game, get it in writing so you only have to do the job once. banghead

Its easy tell your customer your concerns and tell them the benefits of having a seperate camera and monitor set up and a normal speech unit mounted at a height that anyone can manage and you still get a good view every time of the person whos calling.....

and then theres the upsell possibility :yes:

You can lead a horse to water but you carnt climb a ladder with a bell in both hands.

• 3 years later...

I had this come up last week.

Does PC stand for Passed Caring?

I had to move a keypad in a public building level with the sparkies light switches. When I asked why they came up with this DDA stuff reason. I pointed out that the sparkie had not put his switches at the correct height to comply, they said "we know but we thought we would compromise as they did look daft where he was going to put them"

Does anyone really care?

I am all for looking after people who are disabled but I think a balance should be drawn between what is reasonable care and unreasonable care. The big trouble is common sense has been replaced with PC which to me at worst, makes no sense and at best, very little sense.

Happy days everyone!

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Archived