Security Installer Community

Part M - Disabled Access, etc

ARJ

All keypads mcps and intercoms should be fitted at 1200 from ffl for the dda regs, unless otherwise stated on the paperwork.

lee

Yes! I know that but why? Who has the legal right to change the paperwork and for what reason/s? And what if the paperwork says I am putting the keypad at a height convenient for me or whichever engineers eye level is appropriate at the time?

Also, what if I know that if I put it at dda height it would do my back in? Would it be at odds with a h&s risk assessment?

What if I stated in the spec that I am willing to relocate the keypad free of charge in the event that a wheel chair user started to use the alarm and that until such an occurrence the height will be determined by the height of the people that do actually use it?

I was reading last night of a bloke in America who bought a house or an apartment and he was asking the builders to mount his heating thermostat at a height that suited him. They said no because of the dda regs but after the job is signed off and the properties are signed over you can get one of our men to move it for you. He was not impressed.

During the same surfing I noticed a minimum height in order to avoid a person in a wheel chair falling from said chair to operate the keypad, now if you put them at the minimum height in line with the regs then I bet we would get a few complaints.

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

I now think the height is a good idea.

Instead of standing up to do stuff on the keypad I can now pull up a chair and take the weight off my feet. Just goes to show ...every cloud has a silver lining!

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

disabled = key phobe, problem solved.....tee hee....this could be the future

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Guest Cerberus NI
disabled = key phobe, problem solved.....tee hee....this could be the future

I thought you meant someone with a fear of keys - I take it you meany fob?

I thought you meant someone with a fear of keys - I take it you meany fob?

thanks yeah fob...tee hee, senior moment banghead

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

thanks yeah fob...tee hee, senior moment banghead

Keys are fab (throw back of the 1960's

How about only have fob acctuated by user and any keypad hidden away in cupboard so only authurised access to kepad to be by engineers?

Guest anguscanplay
Keys are fab (throw back of the 1960's

How about only have fob acctuated by user and any keypad hidden away in cupboard so only authurised access to kepad to be by engineers?

isnt that how everybody does it anyway?

standard on our commercial sites

Guest Cerberus NI

Not on the Galaxy's with the fob keypads that I've seen - makes more sense to put the ketpad elsewhere IMO (hey,what do I know - two core & earth brown and blue man me!!)

Yep that's exactly what I mean.. Back to square one.. So One of the advantages of using a keypad has been removed namely if you lose your key you don't have to change your locks etc. So much for progress eh?

Archived